Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zyphro
zyphro

Re: Ferrari F2012

luicchi wrote:with all this Ferrari may find 0.4 sec. :) not bad!!!!
It isn't but, top 3-4 teams will have found time too.
Gap stays relative.

luicchi
luicchi

yes but we didn´t show all yet.remember that the new difuser adapt it is not there yet. The new nose and frontwing combined....a big step was made.as Fernando said Happy!!

Teechnical

zyphro wrote:
Gap stays relative.

To be optimistic, I think Ferrari have the most opportunities to improve their car, so a perfect upgrade could up them by 0.5s, whereas the top 4 teams have SLIGHTLY less upgrades here, but they will gain maybe two or three tenths. Its possible the car will be little closer to the top teams in Spain. Or maybe I'm wishful thinking. :)
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

zyphro
zyphro

Teechnical wrote:
zyphro wrote:
Gap stays relative.

To be optimistic, I think Ferrari have the most opportunities to improve their car, so a perfect upgrade could up them by 0.5s, whereas the top 4 teams have SLIGHTLY less upgrades here, but they will gain maybe two or three tenths. Its possible the car will be little closer to the top teams in Spain. Or maybe I'm wishful thinking. :)
We will find out in Barcelona.

amouzouris

new exhaust was tested now..

morning exhausts:

afternoon exhausts:

can anybody get this photo in high res??

tpe
tpe

bhallg2k wrote:You mean like this?

That is the OLD.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bhallg2k wrote:I'm not explaining myself well here.

Cars may very well have used a larger quantity of off-throttle exhaust while braking into slow corners, because, naturally, slow corners take longer. But, like all aerodynamics, the effects off-throttle blowing diminishes more and more as the car gets slower and slower. In that way, off-throttle exhaust only served to provide initial stability at the very moment a when driver got of the gas and onto the brakes. Even before a driver reaches the apex of a slow corner, aerodynamic forces applied to the car are long gone, and the car is then wholly dependent upon mechanical grip.

Conversely, through fast corners that aren't taken flat-out, the quality, or impact, of off-throttle blowing was never greater. Without off-throttle exhaust in a fast corner, getting off the gas introduced a significant moment of instability as the car's balance was disrupted by the sudden lack of rear downforce. Off-throttle blowing neutralized this problem.

Moreover, Red Bull's off-throttle EBD was so effective that they ran considerably less rear wing than the rest of the field. This was only possible due to the stability of of their EBD in fast corners.

For a practical example, think of Silverstone last year. It's a track with very, very few slow-speed corners, but Red Bull suffered tremendously without the full effect of engine overrun. If off-throttle exhaust is mostly effective in slow corners, Red Bull shouldn't have fared so poorly.

(Yes, the thread has moved on from this, but I spent too much time writing it for it to go to waste.)

EDIT: I hate that grammar is important to me. I don't want to care.
Ben the cars aren't having bad problems in high speed turns. The problem is in the low-medium speed turns. Remember Ferrari saying they're fine in high speed turns, it's the slow stuff where they're bad?

Moving past last year, and in reply to .poz about getting the exhaust to seal the diffuser in 2012 in high speed turns, it's not happening. Smikle's CFD shows as the speed of the car increases the exhaust plume rises. So there's going to be no diffuser sealing from the exhaust in 2012 in high speed corners. The only sealing that's going to happen on such equipped cars is going to be in low-medium speed turns. hence my statement that he had it backwards.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Good look at new brake duct fins

Malaysia

FakeAlonso

amouzouris wrote:new exhaust was tested now..

morning exhausts:

afternoon exhausts:

are you sure?

amouzouris

FakeAlonso wrote:

morning exhausts:
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 2012-6.jpg

afternoon exhausts:
http://www.sutton-images.com/previews/dms1203my272.jpg

are you sure?
actually no...i'm basing that on the changed acer logo position :D

tpe
tpe

The black thing seem quite different. As well as times too...
01:24 at the afternoon instead of 01:22/21 in the morning.

FakeAlonso

amouzouris wrote:
FakeAlonso wrote:

morning exhausts:

afternoon exhausts:

are you sure?
You are right. The acer duct have changed position.

I am checking for high better quality pictures.

MSC07-JCGX
MSC07-JCGX

amouzouris wrote:
FakeAlonso wrote:

morning exhausts:

afternoon exhausts:

are you sure?
maybe its just placed differently on each side

bhall
bhall

Find that video of the Williams car trailing smoke earlier this season. Until it hits the diffuser, it stays perfectly attached to the sidepod.

And I don't think Ferrari is trying to seal its diffuser to assist with high-speed corners. As you say, that's not really a problem for the F2012. What is a problem, however, is that the rake of the car is very low, because the only way the team can seal the diffuser is to do it the old fashioned way.

This is fine through fast corners where the diffuser is, in fact working. On the other hand, the stiffer rear settings that allow lowered rake without bottoming out are absolute hell on the car when it needs a more compliant suspension in slow corners.

There's a lesson in racing: It's better to be fast in the fast parts than it is to be fast in the slow parts.

With the failure of their first exhaust, Ferrari had to make a compromise one way or the other until the problem could be truly sorted out. They followed the logic of that lesson.

bhall
bhall

amouzouris wrote:actually no...i'm basing that on the changed acer logo position :D
More than the exhaust, it actually looks like the sidepod is substantially different.