2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
j_ste
j_ste

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

justin2102 wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 22:12
Mosin123 wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 19:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 18:35

Not really. He schooled Lewis in the wet Imola 2022 race. He just likes a certain balance that's all. He's somewhere between Jenson Button and a Lewis Hamilton driving style. He can be deathly fast in the wet if things line up.
Apart from Imola, can you name any others? in the few we have had this year, he has gone backwards. in two of those, he should have won. in 1, he went off track more times in one race than most go off all season....... so i cant say i agree he is " deathly " fast in the wet if things line up, must be a lot of things lining up....... needs lots of Leprechaun luck more like.
Spa 2021 p2 in Williams, Imola 2022,Some parts of the 2024 Canadian GP, Silverstone fp3 maybe,overtakes round the outside in the S's of suzuka 2022 and many more that I can't remember
Lewis was overtaken in Suzuka? Using an FP3 session to try and make a point is wild, btw.

Mosin123
Mosin123

justin2102 wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 22:12
Mosin123 wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 19:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 18:35

Not really. He schooled Lewis in the wet Imola 2022 race. He just likes a certain balance that's all. He's somewhere between Jenson Button and a Lewis Hamilton driving style. He can be deathly fast in the wet if things line up.
Apart from Imola, can you name any others? in the few we have had this year, he has gone backwards. in two of those, he should have won. in 1, he went off track more times in one race than most go off all season....... so i cant say i agree he is " deathly " fast in the wet if things line up, must be a lot of things lining up....... needs lots of Leprechaun luck more like.
Spa 2021 p2 in Williams, Imola 2022,Some parts of the 2024 Canadian GP, Silverstone fp3 maybe,overtakes round the outside in the S's of suzuka 2022 and many more that I can't remember
Did you rlly just say Spa 21, what lap? 1? lol. a race that, well, wasnt a race , didnt even have a " green " lap........ But ok, Ok, 3 laps behind a safety car is Deathly. Legendary stuff......... lol

didnt he go off track like 4 times in Canada, from POLE..... GREAT DRIVE>>>> Deathly was it............ A great drive would have been winning the race....... Max had a great drive in Canada, 3rd fastest car, but won........ Thats a great drive..... LH's drive in Canada was better than GR's, started 7th fnished behind his team mate who started on pole, even though his team gave him the slower tyre stratagy..........

Free practise?? Since when was a free practise a " race "

Suzuka.... started 8th, finished 8th?

The bench mark for a " deathly " drive is rather......... Low. dont you think?

Great drives = losing a race win, finishing 8th at susuka. Silvertsone Free practise 3, and a race that had 0 racing laps lol

So, it rlly is just Imola, the odd one out..... So normal pattern is, he goes backwards in the damp / wet / changing conditions.

Luscion
Luscion

Russell on the upgrades
"We've struggled here for the last three years, and the fluctuation of all the teams from circuit to circuit is pretty substantial," he told media including RacingNews365.

"It was important for us to revert back to something we know to see if it is a challenge for Spa for us, which I am pretty confident it is, as opposed to an upgrade problem.

"The upgrades were nothing substantial, it is just part of the development of the course of the year, and it gives us time to review the data and go from there, but I am pretty confident the upgrades are working as expected.

"It's been three years in a row that we've been very quick at Silverstone and struggled at Spa.

"On paper, you'd say they're not exactly the same type of circuit, but have high and low speed corners, and we need to try and understand [why we struggle at Spa].
https://racingnews365.com/russell-expla ... de-off-w15

erudite450
erudite450

Luscion wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 08:34
Russell on the upgrades
"We've struggled here for the last three years, and the fluctuation of all the teams from circuit to circuit is pretty substantial," he told media including RacingNews365.

"It was important for us to revert back to something we know to see if it is a challenge for Spa for us, which I am pretty confident it is, as opposed to an upgrade problem.

"The upgrades were nothing substantial, it is just part of the development of the course of the year, and it gives us time to review the data and go from there, but I am pretty confident the upgrades are working as expected.

"It's been three years in a row that we've been very quick at Silverstone and struggled at Spa.

"On paper, you'd say they're not exactly the same type of circuit, but have high and low speed corners, and we need to try and understand [why we struggle at Spa].
Thankfully, Russell is also baffled by this Silverstone-Spa disparity when on paper they should be similar in terms of performance.

bluechris

erudite450 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 09:09
Luscion wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 08:34
Russell on the upgrades

Thankfully, Russell is also baffled by this Silverstone-Spa disparity when on paper they should be similar in terms of performance.
There is a fundamental difference between the two tracks which is Eau Rouge. You cannot go so low in Spa with soft suspension Iike Silverstone and this is the problem. Count also the super smooth tarmac that MB loves and you get the point.
Even though the cars don't seem bad, let's see tomorrow how they will cope.

erudite450
erudite450

Why were Redbull allowed to replace the rear plank on Verstappen's car in parc ferme ? Hamilton's car was disqualified for plank wear limits in COTA last year.

f1isgood
f1isgood

erudite450 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 13:52
Why were Redbull allowed to replace the rear plank on Verstappen's car in parc ferme ? Hamilton's car was disqualified for plank wear limits in COTA last year.
You can replace damaged parts like for like in parc-ferme.

Hamilton was disqualified because of excessive plank wear at the end of the race.

Vaexa
Vaexa

erudite450 wrote:
Plank wear leads to a disqualification if the scrutineers find it has worn too much after a competitive session. It didn't, which is why Verstappen wasn't disqualified. Hamilton's (and Leclerc's) did, which is why they were disqualified.

Teams are allowed to replace damaged components with new components of an identical specification under parc ferme conditions as long as the FIA technical delegate grants them permission.

erudite450
erudite450

Vaexa wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 14:13
erudite450 wrote:
Plank wear leads to a disqualification if the scrutineers find it has worn too much after a competitive session. It didn't, which is why Verstappen wasn't disqualified. Hamilton's (and Leclerc's) did, which is why they were disqualified.

Teams are allowed to replace damaged components with new components of an identical specification under parc ferme conditions as long as the FIA technical delegate grants them permission.
In that case, why don't every team, replace their planks after qualy?

bluechris

Nice, so we have 1 hour qual and 1 and a half hour race so this is 2.5 hours of plank wear. Its nice that you can slice this in two because there is no gain in this is you do this deliberately, right?
Food for thought

Dunlay
Dunlay

GEORGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luscion
Luscion

The hell did that race pace come from, they were nowhere in practice

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

Great job from the team, everything done right.

Tommy.G
Tommy.G

This team has some kind of brain damage!

Hamilton leads the whole grand priz! Alright let’s hand this win to Russell…

What a joke…

Mansell89
Mansell89

Superb team execution - I tip my hat as a MCL fan wondering how we have not won with OP today.

Bravo guys.