Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
sterumbelow
sterumbelow

Re: Ferrari F2012

RW Comparison from the front

@realsterumbelow

kebab
kebab

We haven't been running with much rake have we?

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

their new exhaust design makes absolutely no sense to me as long as the acer duct is still pointing toward the inboard wheel floor junction.

if they are going to mimic the lotus/merc inboard blowing, why not make the coke bottle area narrow like days of old/lotus/merc?

i can understand if they didn't have time to remake the whole internal radiator cooling flow path, but the current design looks like the worst of all worlds to me: messed up coke bottle area flow to the diffuser due to both the physical presence of the acer duct and the unaccellerated exit flow from the acer duct being dumped right into that flow field at the wrong angle. i can't believe that the acer duct shape alone is enough to entrain air down to the floor without the exhaust helping it by blowing from inside it. (and i'll add gary anderson's comment about the extra lift producing area on the upr sidepod, but that is hearsay...)

if they are going to eventually fully mimic the lotus/merc inboard blowing design, no problemo. but why test this in-between design?

i previously got temporarily banned for bad-mothing the ferrari exhaust and aero, but as an aero and mechanical engineer, the design shown today just seems awful.
Last edited by flyboy2160 on 03 May 2012, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Spankyham

flyboy2160 wrote:their new exhaust design makes absolutely no sense to me as long as the acer duct is still pointing toward the inboard wheel floor junction.

if they are going to mimic the lotus/merc inboard blowing, why not make the coke bottle area narrow like days of old/lotus/merc?

i can understand if they didn't have time to remake the whole internal radiator cooling flow path, but the current design looks like the worst of all worlds to me: messed up coke bottle area flow to the diffuser due to both the physical presence of the acer duct and the unaccellerated exit flow from the acer duct being dumped rigght into that flow field at the wrong angle. i can't believe that the acer duct shape alone is enough to entrain air down to the floor without the exhaust helping it by blowing from inside it. (and i'll add gary anderson's comment about the extra lift producing area on the upr sidepod, but that is hearsay...)

if they are going to eventually fully mimic the lotus/merc inboard blowing design, no problemo. but why test this in-between design?

i previously got temporarily banned for bad-mothing the ferrari exhaust and aero, but as an aero and mechanical engineer, the design shown today just seems awful.
Really? The times are pretty good for something awful :)
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

motobaleno

flyboy2160 wrote: i previously got temporarily banned for bad-mothing the ferrari exhaust and aero,

I see that you didn't change your habits...
I think that it is always extremely difficult to judge a car design from the outside
only lap times and race results will tell.
this morning lap time seems not so bad: early in the morning, hard tyres...

FakeAlonso

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

flyboy2160 wrote:their new exhaust design makes absolutely no sense to me as
Wow!!! An engineer!!! I do not think Ferrari has any of those!

zyphro
zyphro

flyboy2160 wrote:their new exhaust design makes absolutely no sense to me as long as the acer duct is still pointing toward the inboard wheel floor junction.

i can understand if they didn't have time to remake the whole internal radiator cooling flow path, but the current design looks like the worst of all worlds to me: messed up coke bottle area flow to the diffuser due to both the physical presence of the acer duct and the unaccellerated exit flow from the acer duct being dumped rigght into that flow field at the wrong angle. i can't believe that the acer duct shape alone is enough to entrain air down to the floor without the exhaust helping it by blowing from inside it. (and i'll add gary anderson's comment about the extra lift producing area on the upr sidepod, but that is hearsay...)

As you seem more knowledgeable, would you mind posting your analysis of the Merc in that thread? :D

Ferrari_Tifosi88
Ferrari_Tifosi88

Hello,

New to this site. I found it looking for updates on the...well... updates lol

I got to say given the track time this morning, these updates look promising, at least i hope so. You guys give a great deal of technical analysis :)

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

i can understand if they didn't have time to remake the whole internal radiator cooling flow path, but the current design looks like the worst of all worlds to me: messed up coke bottle area flow to the diffuser due to both the physical presence of the acer duct and the unaccellerated exit flow from the acer duct being dumped right into that flow field at the wrong angle. i can't believe that the acer duct shape alone is enough to entrain air down to the floor without the exhaust helping it by blowing from inside it. (and i'll add gary anderson's comment about the extra lift producing area on the upr sidepod, but that is hearsay...)

They didn't mess up the coke bottle area, the cleaned it up. And you're wrong about unaccelerated air from the Acer Ducts.
It's called 'Aspiration', it's been used by teams before mostly in early 2000's and you should have a look at the following paper:
Parra and Kontis in their 2006 paper, Aerodynamic effectiveness of the flow of exhaust gases in a generic formula one car configuration, published in the The Aeronautical Journal

I'll save you some time:

"Due to the characteristic configuration of a Formula One car, the exhaust pipes pass through the chamber located directly behind the radiators. This chamber is normally shaped so that it enhances the outflow of gases. However, an extra outflow could be generated by inserting the exhaust pipe into a bigger diameter duct to create a mixing stream. Such mixing is believed to generate an aspiration along the outer duct, based on the same principles of operation as an ejector pump. Because this enveloping duct connects the chamber behind the radiator with the atmosphere, an outflow of gases through this passage would increase the efficiency of the radiator,"

Anyhow, as I said it looks to me, and to most people that Ferrari have in fact cleaned up the coke bottle area but you're entitled to your opinion. We'll see how these updates work.

kebab
kebab

Agree
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 03 May 2012, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reply to previous post.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

New RW covered in Flo-Vis

edit: notice temp stickers towards bottom of endplate
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 03 May 2012, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

FakeAlonso

Looks like they only moved the acer logo

Last edited by FakeAlonso on 03 May 2012, 17:29, edited 2 times in total.

kebab
kebab

The sidepod actually looks flat from the Shell to the acer.

Spankyham

kebab wrote:The sidepod actually looks flat from the Shell to the acer.
I agree
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari