2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dia6olo
dia6olo

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:20
Why did Leclerc allow Piastri to go through without any fight? Just before the weekend, Leclerc did a PR quiz and named himself the best defender on the grid. Leclerc lost the race right there. Even if Ferrari wasn't the fastest car, there was a massive opportunity yesterday. Sainz would have never let Piastri past.
I think the two approach the race differently, at least in more recent times.
Sainz seems to be all about track position even at the expense of the tyres whereas Leclerc now seems to operate with the bigger picture in mind...

AnotherAlex
AnotherAlex

I agree with most people that the problem is with the inconsistency of penalties, but, for me, Piastri's pass on Sainz was just about OK.
The 'leaving space' penalties should be for when a driver has the inside line and deliberately opens the steering to force his opponent wide, as was increasingly common practice a few years ago. Hard to police the distinction though.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
Why did Leclerc allow Piastri to go through without any fight? Bizarre. Leclerc lost the race right there. Even if Ferrari wasn't the fastest car, there was a massive opportunity yesterday. Sainz would have never let Piastri past.
He made a mistake. He didn't expect a late move in the last corner.

In general, he was struggling for pace in the first 7-8 laps though.

Also Sainz wasn't decisive enough in the first few corners. Piastri mugged him, and Sainz wasn't expecting him at all. :D
Last edited by Xyz22 on 06 May 2024, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Xyz22 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
Why did Leclerc allow Piastri to go through without any fight? Bizarre. Leclerc lost the race right there. Even if Ferrari wasn't the fastest car, there was a massive opportunity yesterday. Sainz would have never let Piastri past.

I think he made a mistake in the sense that he expected to come back later in the stint with better tyre wear that just wasn’t there. He seems to do that lately.

Xyz22
Xyz22

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:55
Xyz22 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I think he made a mistake in the sense that he expected to come back later in the stint with better tyre wear that just wasn’t there. He seems to do that lately.
Maybe. I think he was struggling for pace in the first few laps and didn't expect a late move there because it is such a tricky corner.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Xyz22 wrote:
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:55
Xyz22 wrote: He made a mistake. He didn't expect a late move in the last corner.

Maybe. I think he was struggling for pace in the first few laps and didn't expect a late move there because it is such a tricky corner.
To me it’s pretty apparent that he is always tiptoeing around tyres early in the stint. I think I first noticed that in Austria last year, maybe it started even earlier than that.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

AR3-GP wrote:
Yeah, Sainz wouldn't have let Piastri past by defending too aggressively and gaining a penalty. Leclerc was just struggling for pace in the opening laps because the low speed understeer is quite bad.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SoulPancake13 wrote:
06 May 2024, 17:04
AR3-GP wrote:
Yeah, Sainz wouldn't have let Piastri past by defending too aggressively and gaining a penalty. Leclerc was just struggling for pace in the opening laps because the low speed understeer is quite bad.
Maybe, but in that case Leclerc would have been in a great position if Sainz collided with Piastri. :lol: Piastri is really what ruined Leclerc's race and a possible win.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:50

How is it a mistake to back off from a forceful dive bomber? What was he supposed to do, slam into Piastri like Piastri slammed into Sainz? :mrgreen: P3 is better than 0 points I think :lol: Ferrari made a big mistake pitting him so early, undercut is weak in Miami and we know how rewarding overcut on Mediums can be, Max showed how to do it last year.

Not sure what you mean when you say Leclerc struggled for pace in early laps? He was out of DRS window but still affected by Max' wake and only 2 tenths a lap slower before Piastri overtook him. He then easily kept within DRS from Piastri, but there's simply no overtaking among close performing cars on this track.

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 17:08
Piastri is really what ruined Leclerc's race and a possible win.
You keep downgrading mate :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 May 2024, 17:18
Xyz22 wrote:
06 May 2024, 16:50

How is it a mistake to back off from a forceful dive bomber? What was he supposed to do, slam into Piastri like Piastri slammed into Sainz? :mrgreen: P3 is better than 0 points I think :lol: Ferrari made a big mistake pitting him so early, undercut is weak in Miami and we know how rewarding overcut on Mediums can be, Max showed how to do it last year.

Not sure what you mean when you say Leclerc struggled for pace in early laps? He was out of DRS window but still affected by Max' wake and only 2 tenths a lap slower before Piastri overtook him. He then easily kept within DRS from Piastri, but there's simply no overtaking among close performing cars on this track.

AR3-GP wrote:
Absolutely not. He could have protected the inside earlier but he didn't expect such a move. Piastri pulled it off brilliantly, contrary to Sainz :D

In the first few laps he was struggling a bit as he was sliding in quite a few corners even after Piastri overtook him.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
I don't know what you are referring to.

There's a version of the race where Leclerc defends the inside, keeps the position on Piastri, stays out long like he did in all previous GP and pits during the safety car. Follow that with a clever safety car restart and he would have had a great chance at least. That's all you can ask.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 06 May 2024, 17:31, edited 3 times in total.

Sevach
Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:
I believe Charles thought he would slingshot back past with the pit straight DRS, bad calculation.

Charles too focussed on bringing the tires along nice and easy ended up with Piastri as a road block, then the team was forced to undercut(it was not a bad call even if the SC compromised the strategy) and that locked the result.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

There's a version of the race where Leclerc defends the inside, keeps the position on Piastri, stays out long like he did in all previous GP and pits during the safety car. Follow that with a clever safety car restart and he leads until the end of the race all while not actually having the fastest car.
Lando would've gotten his free pit stop either way and would’ve easily overtaken him on restart with a car that is much quicker and better at switching on tyres.

But you’re correct that he would’ve wished ahead of Verstappen.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
06 May 2024, 17:32
AR3-GP wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

There's a version of the race where Leclerc defends the inside, keeps the position on Piastri, stays out long like he did in all previous GP and pits during the safety car. Follow that with a clever safety car restart and he leads until the end of the race all while not actually having the fastest car.
Lando would've gotten his free pit stop either way and would’ve easily overtaken him on restart with a car that is much quicker and better at switching on tyres.
Yes I agree that he would have had to fend off Norris but he has to give himself the chance to fight for it. Make Norris pass. Norris struggled to pass Perez while Perez was the slowest of the top 5. (Mclaren was the slowest on the straights with DRS). Mclaren might have even put Norris on a different and less optimal strategy if Leclerc was leading.

The race is done, so nothing will change. It's just a point that I thought probably changed how the race played out.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

AR3-GP wrote:
CouncilorIrissa wrote:
06 May 2024, 17:32
AR3-GP wrote: I don't know what you are referring to.

Yes I agree that he would have had to fend off Norris but he has to give himself the chance to fight for it. Make Norris pass. Norris couldn't pass Perez while Perez was slowest of the top 5. (Mclaren was the slowest on the straights with DRS).
There’s no way he could’ve fended him off. It was already hard to fend off Oscar who's a bit slower on his own, not to mention that his car was more than two tenths slower than Lando's, and that’s not taking into account a slight tow from Verstappen.