2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
gato azul
gato azul

Re: 2012 Abu Dhabi GP - Yas Marina

Code: Select all

Any change to the gear ratios declared under d) below will incur a further five grid place penalty.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A0C5392CB79B3323C1257A85004FFAA9/$FILE/2012%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS%2009-03-2012.pdf
As it only applies to the race weekend when it happened, it will not affect them.
IMHO, that will be the main reason to oped to start from pitlane instead of P24, the way they tend to set up their car, requires them to start from the front and run away, to make it work.
Without a change in gear ratio, it would not make sense to take down force off the car, it will make it only worse, as you would still not get higher top speed, due to hitting the limiter.
After the penalty, they did (IMHO) the only sensible thing, and going all out and setting the car up for the new situation. They need to be able to get good tops peed to overtake (or protect after a overtake at the end of the straight), to avoid a Alonso 2010 situation, where he got stuck behind a slower car, unable to overtake.
Anyway, will make for an interesting race tomorrow.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

raymondu999 wrote:To be honest I don't know why some people are saying it to be Alonso's title now. This has blown the doors wide open now and Alonso can certainly regain an equal footing - but I still think either of the two can win it.

Will be interesting to see if the FIA have truly fixed the DRS zones - last year all we had was A passing B in Zone 1, and B passing A in Zone 2.

Who is saying that? Don't think anybody has said it is Alonso's title.

Unc1e_M0nty

Mika1 wrote:
Red Bull's decision to start from the pitlane means it will be able to make some changes to Vettel's car's set-up ahead of the race.
haha, you have to hand it to Red Bull, they're always thinking

zeph
zeph

FakeAlonso wrote:It will be ironic if Vettel get stuck behind Petrov tomorrow
I would wet myself with glee, should that happen. :mrgreen:

Bomber_Pilot

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:
Mika1 wrote:
Red Bull's decision to start from the pitlane means it will be able to make some changes to Vettel's car's set-up ahead of the race.
haha, you have to hand it to Red Bull, they're always thinking
I have no doubts that Vettel will score some points tomorrow, and as I said before I just hope that for the sake of the championship Alonso doesn't get taken out or does something stupid in the first lap.

Unc1e_M0nty

turbof1

I also assume that Red Bull will be breaking the curfew?
#AeroFrodo

Unc1e_M0nty

turbof1 wrote:I also assume that Red Bull will be breaking the curfew?
According to this it's locked in the FIA's garage overnight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20193637

raymondu999

Possibly. I don't remember if they've broken it already this year - can anyone confirm?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

Unc1e_M0nty wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I also assume that Red Bull will be breaking the curfew?
According to this it's locked in the FIA's garage overnight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20193637
I am not from england, so I can't play the media.
#AeroFrodo

Shrieker

McLaren were called numpties (and rightfully so) at Barcelona. The championship is on the line, and RB go ahead underfuel the car in q3 - for what ?! What the fu.k Red Bull ?!? As bad as it sucked, McLaren's were an operational error.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

FakeAlonso

Anyone knows the race pace for tomorrow?

Alonso looked good, Button and HAM as far as I remember. Anyone has more information on race pace?

raymondu999

In my own calculations I had Maldonado and Massa tied at quickest. Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel didn't do representative-length race runs. Neither did Webber, for that matter. Button was to my calculations about 0.2 down on Massa/Maldonado
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FakeAlonso

raymondu999 wrote:In my own calculations I had Maldonado and Massa tied at quickest. Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel didn't do representative-length race runs. Neither did Webber, for that matter. Button was to my calculations about 0.2 down on Massa/Maldonado
Ray do you think the Mclarens will have problems with the softs just like they had in India?

raymondu999

I don't know to be honest. From how it looked on Friday the McLarens did look to have problems with that. But remember that FP data in Abu Dhabi is just about the least reliable of the year - because the temperatures in the race are different (due to the time) to those in FP, generally.

I think even in FP3 vs Quali, the correlation is weakest in Abu Dhabi.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法