McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

Nice angle of the change !!

Still a very, very nice undercut and shape & slope backwards

vantage87
vantage87

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/20 ... ion-again/

Alonso, whose best result last year was fifth place in Hungary, said: “I do not think we are far from achieving a podium.

“I would be surprised if we managed it at the start of the season, because in the first few races not everything will be place.”
He said his feelings for the 2016 car were “good”, adding: “When everything is in place, we will make a very big improvement.”
But he said Mercedes are still ahead of everyone else.

Asked about the Honda engine’s performance compared to that of Mercedes, the Spaniard said: “We will certainly have less power, between 30 and 80bhp, but not 200, no.

CjC
CjC

namao wrote:McLaren had not run its high-downforce aero package yet.

"We also haven't run the car in its proper downforce settings. We've ran low downforce because we don't have the wings yet. I could probably tell you a lot more tomorrow when I'm at the circuit." - Jenson Button (01/03/2016) :roll:
Is that a good or a bad thing?
Just a fan's point of view

bauc

CjC wrote:

"We also haven't run the car in its proper downforce settings. We've ran low downforce because we don't have the wings yet. I could probably tell you a lot more tomorrow when I'm at the circuit." - Jenson Button (01/03/2016) :roll:
Barcelona is a max downforce track, so its a good thing
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CjC
CjC

I would have said the same thing Bauc but the original poster rolled their eyes so I was questioning that.

One thing I will say, if they have have had a low downforce wing on, what's the top speed like in comparison?
Suppose if the high downforce adds laptime then that is king I guess
Just a fan's point of view

wesley123
wesley123

bauc wrote:
CjC wrote:

I see it as a bad thing, weren't they slowest in the speed traps?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

vantage87
vantage87

Team report:

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2016/te ... gn=Testing

...The focus of today’s running was to bed in a new power unit, which had been slightly updated from last week’s to move closer to the specification scheduled to run at the first grand prix in Melbourne. Much of the day’s programme concentrated on engine mode and driveability tests, tyre compound assessments as well as aerodynamic set-up changes.

...Fernando Alonso: “We tested a number of different configurations and spent a lot of time working on the power unit and collecting data from the aerodynamics. It’s too early to tell a real difference compared to the engine last week, as we focussed today on shorter runs and adjusting the balance and set-up of the car."

...Matt Morris: “We spent a good chunk of the day evaluating the power unit functionality, although our attention hasn’t yet turned to assessing outright performance. " “We will continue to maximise our track time over the coming days, to work on ironing out reliability niggles and move on to longer runs. We also have some new aero parts arriving overnight, which will be assessed on track tomorrow with Jenson.”

...Yusuke Hasegawa: “On the power unit side, we tested many different modes of running to prepare for the race, so it was a busy day for the system engineers. As a package, we were able to test different balances of the car and tyres together with the power unit."

Postmoe

It is nice to see that low downforce Fatclaren could at least set reasonable times with a detuned PU.

GoranF1
GoranF1

It would be nice to know how big was Alonso stint when he did 1.24.7 ?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

radosav
radosav

GoranF1 wrote:It would be nice to know how big was Alonso stint when he did 1.24.7 ?
On other forums they say 8 lap stint, from people who have App's for detail following tests.

GoranF1
GoranF1

radosav wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:It would be nice to know how big was Alonso stint when he did 1.24.7 ?
On other forums they say 8 lap stint, from people who have App's for detail following tests.
That is quite interesting....esspecialy if we consider Matt Morris and Jenson Button's comments from today.
Good day.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

DiogoBrand

One thing that catched my attention is how everything seems pushed to the rear on this McLaren. The top part of the engine cover, behind the roll hoop, seems to be very long before it dips down, also the exhaust seems to be a long way back. But this may just be a wrong impression.

Stalker1
Stalker1

wesley123 wrote:
bauc wrote:
CjC wrote:
I see it as a bad thing, weren't they slowest in the speed traps?
Possibly comes down to outright power deficit of the PU. If so, then adding addiotional wings also brings addiotional drag, so their top speed will reduce more. We have to remember, their priority is the power deployment, then comes the maximum available power.

Gaz.
Gaz.

CjC wrote:I would have said the same thing Bauc but the original poster rolled their eyes so I was questioning that.

One thing I will say, if they have have had a low downforce wing on, what's the top speed like in comparison?
Suppose if the high downforce adds laptime then that is king I guess
I read on a Spanish site that Rosberg hit 339kph today and Alonso 324kph this morning.
Forza Jules

Avocado
Avocado

Gorgeous. :)