2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

If I am seeing right, Red Bull has non existant brake ducts like McLaren. Definitely looks like McLaren and Red Bull share common concept at the front of the car.

We'll see how it looks after the front wheels.

mclaren111

McG wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 04:46
mwillems wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 22:32
1m0bius1 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:11
MClaren looks really underdeveloped compared to merc and ferrari. Guess we will find out on filming day. Seems the car has been simplified somewhat
Let's see what goes onto the track.

Seeing Ferraris solution was food for thought, but Mercedes seem to have kept a type of bargeboard by utilising the tunnel entrance and then still retaining the undercut on the sidepods. Now I feel we're middle of the road lol

Can't help but feel that the Mercedes solution was a nice interpretation of the rules, but we haven't seen what is really going on track for Mclaren yet. Maybe it is this car, maybe it is something a little different.

Edit: Reading about those "Bargeboards" now and it seems a lot of controversy around the "spirit" of the rules. I can understand why but personally think it was smart. I wonder if this is why they revealed this now, test a reaction prior to the season start and push the FIA. Maybe even reveal it whilst the politics surrounding last year still rumble on.
Mercedes have traditionally got away with a lot in the past. After Masi-gate and the floor rule change for 2021 I think Mercedes will be using all their clout again to push borderline rule breaking innovations. Mercedes can pull out of F1 and leave 2 teams looking for engines and a big hole where they used to be. Don't be surprised if a lot of things to go right for Mercedes from now on.

Ever so true... :oops: :oops:

mwillems

McG wrote:
mwillems wrote:
1m0bius1 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 14:11
MClaren looks really underdeveloped compared to merc and ferrari. Guess we will find out on filming day. Seems the car has been simplified somewhat

Seeing Ferraris solution was food for thought, but Mercedes seem to have kept a type of bargeboard by utilising the tunnel entrance and then still retaining the undercut on the sidepods. Now I feel we're middle of the road lol

Can't help but feel that the Mercedes solution was a nice interpretation of the rules, but we haven't seen what is really going on track for Mclaren yet. Maybe it is this car, maybe it is something a little different.

Edit: Reading about those "Bargeboards" now and it seems a lot of controversy around the "spirit" of the rules. I can understand why but personally think it was smart. I wonder if this is why they revealed this now, test a reaction prior to the season start and push the FIA. Maybe even reveal it whilst the politics surrounding last year still rumble on.
Mercedes have traditionally got away with a lot in the past. After Masi-gate and the floor rule change for 2021 I think Mercedes will be using all their clout again to push borderline rule breaking innovations. Mercedes can pull out of F1 and leave 2 teams looking for engines and a big hole where they used to be. Don't be surprised if a lot of things to go right for Mercedes from now on.
It's not breaking a rule it"s whether the FIA chose to put anything in around that type of development. We know they don't want that outwash but if further and more complex vanes come off that area or it grows to push more of the wake then what happens next.

I'd be surprised if it isn't an effective solution though and if other cars don't develop something similar so let's see what hits the track.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

So it’s being reported that Red Bull and Porsche are close to a tie up. Would that mean the McLaren Audi deal is off? I seem to remember it being reported that it would either Porsche or Audi entering F1, not both. But I don’t know how accurate that is.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Raleigh
Raleigh

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:47
So it’s being reported that Red Bull and Porsche are close to a tie up. Would that mean the McLaren Audi deal is off? I seem to remember it being reported that it would either Porsche or Audi entering F1, not both. But I don’t know how accurate that is.
I thought the point of the Audi/Porsche entry is that the VW group can have both names in F1 with a single engine development program?

Red Bull Porsche would more or less confirm an Audi engine, just not automatically with McLaren.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Raleigh wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 12:11
Ground Effect wrote:
I thought the point of the Audi/Porsche entry is that the VW group can have both names in F1 with a single engine development program?

Red Bull Porsche would more or less confirm an Audi engine, just not automatically with McLaren.
I don't understand why McLaren would once again choose to be a customer team. McLaren Audi with Red Bull Porsche would be the same situation as McLaren with Mercedes engines but with the losing potential of Mercedes selling their F1 team and thus in a way inheriting works status.

My long term bet is that Mercedes will sell the F1 team but keep the engine factory/naming.

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

Ground Effect wrote:
I thought Audi and Porsche would share some detail with the 26 engine but build two separate engines? That was my understanding?

Balalu
Balalu

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 12:15
Raleigh wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 12:11
Ground Effect wrote:

I don't understand why McLaren would once again choose to be a customer team. McLaren Audi with Red Bull Porsche would be the same situation as McLaren with Mercedes engines but with the losing potential of Mercedes selling their F1 team and thus in a way inheriting works status.
If that happens, Aston Martin would probably be first in line, even if they eventually produce their own engine. Wolf is deep in both companies.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

I don't get the RedBull deal with Porsche, I they are building a new facility just for engine development in Milton Keynes? As for McLaren this would seem more in line if they would again try something like they did with Honda.

As for the cars, it looks like we have the same fundamental philosophy as RBR. Also, some similar aspects as Merc. At this point I just cannot wait the see the REAL cars in testing and 1st race!
Last edited by NiyolHuayra on 19 Feb 2022, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

NiyolHuayra wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:21
I don't get the RedBull deal with Porsche, I they are building a new facility just for engine development in Milton Keynes? As for McLaren this would seem more in line if they would again try something like they did with Honda.

As for the cars, it looks like we have the same fundamental philosophy as RBR. Also, some similar aspects as Merc. At this point I just cannot wait the see the REAL cars in testing and 1st race!
Red Bull - Porsche deal could be throwing a Porsche badge on the factory and part or all of the funding. Similar to how Mercedes acquired their engine factory.

CjC
CjC

NiyolHuayra wrote:

Personally I see Red bull building a power train division as a way of saying to any car manufacture - ‘come on... we’ve done all the hard work (and spent the money) there is the factory, here is the Honda IP for the short cut- we just need your engine expertise so join us’
It’s a much stronger position than Mclaren can currently ever offer
Just a fan's point of view

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

CjC wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:08
NiyolHuayra wrote:

Personally I see Red bull building a power train division as a way of saying to any car manufacture - ‘come on... we’ve done all the hard work (and spent the money) there is the factory, here is the Honda IP for the short cut- we just need your engine expertise so join us’
Okay if they sell the whole division to a manufacturer, I get this poit of view now yea.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:08
NiyolHuayra wrote:

This is an exceedingly good point.

Although come the new engine regs that will go out of the window. Who knows, perhaps an agreement has been made for the future, although I'm not sure it will be.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McG

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 05:52
McG wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Let’s not bring the conspiracy theories into this thread please
Lol what. It's every teams mission to borderline rule break e.g find the unfair advantage and Mercedes have done that several times and got away with a slap on the wrist or less. Personally I was only ever mad at Merc for the illegal tyre test back in the day but I've lived seeing their innovations, it reminded me of what McLaren used to be like. If you need me to link several sources to past incidents and innovations that were banned then banned again, then you know less about F1 than I expected. Or did you mean that big teams never threaten to leave F1... How the hell do you think these teams get their way a lot of the time, it's not by saying please. I shouldn't really have to explain to you that the more successful a team becomes, they tend to hold more weight in the sport as a whole.

No conspiracy theories, just the way it is.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

McG

mwillems wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:14
McG wrote:
mwillems wrote:

It's not breaking a rule it"s whether the FIA chose to put anything in around that type of development. We know they don't want that outwash but if further and more complex vanes come off that area or it grows to push more of the wake then what happens next.

I'd be surprised if it isn't an effective solution though and if other cars don't develop something similar so let's see what hits the track.
I said borderline. Which leaves a hell of a lot to interpretation either by official rules or sporting rules.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.