2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

rafeyahmad wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 12:18
dialtone wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 09:00
rafeyahmad wrote:Are we still sure that Ferrari has the best PU? It seems like between 200-270km/h, it reigns supreme but after that Honda takes over. Could be a problem in Jeddah...
100% sure. Above 270 kmh only drag matters. In Jeddah they’ll have less wing.
Yeah, hopefully they have the edge over RB after that. I asked because throughout testing and during and after the Bahrain race, I sifted through lots of reports from Duchessa, AMuS, Fredrico Albano -- RB having a very refined aerodynamic package was a constant in all of them.

If the Ferrari indeed is slightly less aero-efficient, as I suspect (premature I know), I hope their more powerful PU can tip the balance in their favor.
We don’t really have anyway of knowing that.

And also, don’t forget that energy deployment is changed from track to track. Ferrari clearly biased theirs towards low end and mid range acceleration. Could very well change in Jeddah as last year the Ferrari could deploy longer than any other car at Jeddah.

yallkok
yallkok

Re: Ferrari F1-75

I've foud this interesting post about the Ver/Lec battle:
https://www.fuoritraiettoria.com/4-ruot ... rein-2022/

AeroDynamic

Juzh wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 19:10

He even tells Verstappen as much during his pen interview after the race

"struggling with SOC (state of charge - battery)"
the funny thing about this is that Max brought up how impressive the tow was and meanwhile Leclerc is smiling in his face talking about struggling with SOC, using one truth to conceal another. He knew that Max still was clueless that he deliberately was going slower to let him take the DRS detection point by keeping it in 7th. Thats why the tow was so impressive. On the evidence of this conversation, Leclerc could have done this to Max for 50 laps and Max would've kept falling for it.

Leclerc's game is looking big. a bag of tricks. I can see him Schooling drivers in the years to come.

JPower
JPower

AeroDynamic wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 19:37
Juzh wrote:

the funny thing about this is that Max brought up how impressive the tow was and meanwhile Leclerc is smiling in his face talking about struggling with SOC, using one truth to conceal another. He knew that Max still was clueless that he deliberately was going slower to let him take the DRS detection point by keeping it in 7th. Thats why the tow was so impressive. On the evidence of this conversation, Leclerc could have done this to Max for 50 laps and Max would've kept falling for it.

Leclerc's game is looking big. a bag of tricks. I can see him Schooling drivers in the years to come.
He was struggling with SOC though. He had no energy at the time.

AeroDynamic

JPower wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 20:35
AeroDynamic wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Thats why I said one truth to conceal another

codetower

yallkok wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 15:28
Very interesting. Without translating the entire article, my summary from that article: Ferrari/Charles were having issues with the battery recharging, having to set it to different charging modes (SOC8-10... charging under braking, recovery etc) to get it up above 25%. The article also says they temporarily might have used K1 mode for more power during the battle, but it says they never needed K1plus nor K2.

If this is the case, seems they have more power to spare, but didn't use it yet.

dialtone
dialtone

Spurred by the conversation either here or in the F1-75 thread about how the new car is slower in corners and losing "chunks" of time to others I decided to do more work with my scripts to confirm that via telemetry:

From what I see here, Ferrari is overall faster in every slow corner after S1 in Bahrain, this was in quali. Min speed is lower but given where avg speed is, it's probably down to driver style.

wowgr8
wowgr8

I really can't get over how impressive Ferrari have been since the first day. Show up to the tests, do the most mileage, look good, no issues. Turn up to the first race, the engine looks like the best one, the car is quick, take pole, execute the race well, win the race and get the 1-2. That was so Mercedes-esque when they were in their prime with Hamilton and Rosberg

I really really hope they keep this up all year, the pressure will begin to build if the good results come and that's the biggest test there is, especially when Mercedes eventually bounce back

You can see why Mercedes were courting Binotto back in the day, kudos to the Ferrari higher ups for A- willing to get rid of Arrivabene and B sticking with Binotto through 2020. I wonder how different Ferrari would look now if they'd let him walk away in 2019

Juzh

codetower wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 21:12
yallkok wrote:
Very interesting. Without translating the entire article, my summary from that article: Ferrari/Charles were having issues with the battery recharging, having to set it to different charging modes (SOC8-10... charging under braking, recovery etc) to get it up above 25%. The article also says they temporarily might have used K1 mode for more power during the battle, but it says they never needed K1plus nor K2.

If this is the case, seems they have more power to spare, but didn't use it yet.
They don't really have issues, not in normal circumstances anyway. They had issues during this race because they used it all up trying to fend off Verstappen. On a track such as Bahrain you can use up all your energy in a single lap if you're not doing constant management, so if you're going almost full tilt for 2 laps in a row you'll have nothing left. That's the same for everyone.

edit. One more thing. The article has gotten it wrong regarding k2, k1 and k1 plus. It is actually K1 plus that is the most powerful and K2 being least powerful in terms of overtaking modes. k1 plus wasn't available because SOC was too low at that point.

JPower
JPower

AeroDynamic wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 20:48
JPower wrote:
AeroDynamic wrote:

That doesn't really make any sense but OK. I guess its fun to make up stories to add some spice to the race.

codetower

Juzh wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 00:24
codetower wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 21:12
yallkok wrote:

They don't really have issues, not in normal circumstances anyway. They had issues during this race because they used it all up trying to fend off Verstappen. On a track such as Bahrain you can use up all your energy in a single lap if you're not doing constant management, so if you're going almost full tilt for 2 laps in a row you'll have nothing left. That's the same for everyone.

edit. One more thing. The article has gotten it wrong regarding k2, k1 and k1 plus. It is actually K1 plus that is the most powerful and K2 being least powerful in terms of overtaking modes. k1 plus wasn't available because SOC was too low at that point.
Ahhh, thank you for the explanation, I was just translating. Makes sense :)

outsid3r

The article is suggesting that there might have been a small problem with recharge on Leclerc's car, and from the images they provided it may very well have been so. After the pitstop they went to SOC8 but the battery was still draining more than it was recharging. They then tried SOC9 and the same happened. SOC 10 (the most extreme recharge setting) did the trick so they used it for a lap or so before lowering it down again. My assumption is that anything above SOC5 (the middle of the spectrum) should recharge more that it should deploy but this wasn't the case. Might just be a stupid assumption from my end though and SOC 1 to 7 don't really exist? Either that or the settings in the spectrum aren't linear and recharge > deploy is SOC 10 only

AeroDynamic

JPower wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 01:18
AeroDynamic wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 20:48
JPower wrote:

That doesn't really make any sense but OK. I guess its fun to make up stories to add some spice to the race.
I'm not making up anything. I just misremembered what Leclerc did exactly to outwit Max in their battle. I forgot that Leclerc did something more obvious though still sneaky, but very effective at getting the outcome he wanted; It wasn't being in 7th that he did deliberately, it's that he was braking very early along the straight. Max had expressed his amazement about the tow to Leclerc after the race. Leclerc just threw him a bone about the SOC and smiled. Read it from Leclerc if you don't believe:
“With the first three overtakes, I knew he was going to try, so I wasn’t surprised,” Leclerc said.

“I expected it and actually I wanted it. Because I knew that if he wasn’t overtaking me there he would overtake me on the run to Turn 4 with the DRS.

“So I was on purpose braking very early into Turn 1 to be just behind in the DRS detection and to get it on the run to Turn 4 to get him back. It always worked out.”

falonso81

Read an article that Ferrari was running with a conservative engine mode to ensure reliability and will turn it up in future races. Red Bull must be shitting their pants right now.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

falonso81 wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 15:57
Read an article that Ferrari was running with a conservative engine mode to ensure reliability and will turn it up in future races. Red Bull must be shitting their pants right now.
All manufacturers will be doing this to evaluate reliability in the early races. They like to run the engine, then open it up and inspect it. Turning up the power is just a matter of engine and turbo mapping. Of course their is a ceiling which is based on your fuel and engine architecture, but all teams could turn up the power and make the engine last 1 race. You have to find out how durable the engine is to figure out how high you can run it for 7 races.
A lion must kill its prey.