Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Ferrari F1-75

One and Only wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 17:00
Sevach wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 16:42
LM10 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:50

That could very well be. Maybe tightest possible sidepod design isn’t the best possible concept for the new regs anymore.
Ferrari and others have made their pods bigger than they need to be for cooling purposes so at least a couple of teams believe that.
Why did cooling requirements increase so much? PUs haven’t changed that much. That makes no sense.
The point is it didn't, teams are making larger pods to divert air into different paths, something that previously they could do with the barge boards, X-vanes, floor extrusions...

SiLo

F1ern wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 13:46
It seems like Ferraris rear wing has also smaller surface then Merc.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FL87h-sXIAA ... name=large
[/quote]

Yes it's quite similar, the Merc has far less centre load and a bit more outer load. It's probably fairly similar.
Felipe Baby!

ayoubenq
ayoubenq

Ferrari Sidepods' New Philosophy
Searching for the best trade-off between reducing drag and maximizing downforce in the new F1-75 is quite interesting. I will try to analyse the advantages of such a philosophy as shown in the image :
1 - Cooling is rethinked to serve aerodynamic purposes. I wonder what is the exact shape of the Ferrari radiators. they are probably twisted as well.
2 - Coanda Effect produced to direct air toward the center of the diffuser and therefore have a more stable and predictable downforce levels. But I think this will create deep vortex and will make being overtaken very difficult . This is a part of defense tactics.
3 - Drag is reduced and resilient enough when following other cars.
We have to wait for testing and first races to see whether these points are somehow true.

mkay
mkay

LM10 wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:25
Genuinely can’t wait for lap times.

Also I want to point out that I’m not trying to be negative, so I want to stress that I don’t need the ‘Ferrari are very competent and have tested every concept’ speech. I know that. We all know that. The purpose of my speculating is to try and understand the Ferrari better, yes, and understand it relative to the competition. The ‘relative to the competition’ part is the most important thing in competition, right?

To that end the Kyle.engineers video on the Mercedes’ suggests the front and rear wings are among the most cranked of the cars we’ve seen, suggesting they are trying to generate a lot of downforce from those regions. Could that be because they’re not generating as much as say, the Ferrari with quite backed off wings, elsewhere on the car?

Interesting
That could very well be. Maybe tightest possible sidepod design isn’t the best possible concept for the new regs anymore.
I think you are looking too much into what is simply shakedown wing configuration.

Also, RB seems to have gone the Merc route wing/side pod-wise for what it’s worth.

LM10
LM10

mkay wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 17:57
LM10 wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 15:25
Genuinely can’t wait for lap times.

Also I want to point out that I’m not trying to be negative, so I want to stress that I don’t need the ‘Ferrari are very competent and have tested every concept’ speech. I know that. We all know that. The purpose of my speculating is to try and understand the Ferrari better, yes, and understand it relative to the competition. The ‘relative to the competition’ part is the most important thing in competition, right?

To that end the Kyle.engineers video on the Mercedes’ suggests the front and rear wings are among the most cranked of the cars we’ve seen, suggesting they are trying to generate a lot of downforce from those regions. Could that be because they’re not generating as much as say, the Ferrari with quite backed off wings, elsewhere on the car?

Interesting
I think you are looking too much into what is simply shakedown wing configuration.

Also, RB seems to have gone the Merc route wing/side pod-wise for what it’s worth.
So what? :) Would have not expected anything different from Newey. Does not mean it’s the only or best route to success. It’s also a matter of getting everything working. Could be that Ferrari managed to make that concept work, but others didn’t or didn’t to the extent they did make their current concept work.

Btw., just realized I answered to a wrong post above.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

It will be interesting when we get more comparison fotos… But, it does look ready to race!

Henri
Henri

Hope the car wins a race its been a long time since ferrari won

pierrre
pierrre

SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:22
It will be interesting when we get more comparison fotos… But, it does look ready to race!

my suspicion is those louvers are suppose to underperform as cooling. if the angle of air coming downwards from negative pressure caused by those sidepod valley or depression, it would go over those louvers and create a vortex that would spiral in a direction that draws more air downwards...their cross angle simply makes me more suspicious but maybe im just a suspicious individual? i mean, im sure anyone here, if they were given a task to design cooling louvers on that sidepod, it wont run that line

godlameroso

ayoubenq wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 17:39
Searching for the best trade-off between reducing drag and maximizing downforce in the new F1-75 is quite interesting. I will try to analyse the advantages of such a philosophy as shown in the image :
1 - Cooling is rethinked to serve aerodynamic purposes. I wonder what is the exact shape of the Ferrari radiators. they are probably twisted as well.
2 - Coanda Effect produced to direct air toward the center of the diffuser and therefore have a more stable and predictable downforce levels. But I think this will create deep vortex and will make being overtaken very difficult . This is a part of defense tactics.
We have to wait for testing and first races to see whether these points are somehow true.
https://scontent.frba4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=62155D4C
Consider that hump might have a bunch of air going through it, ducted high speed air, since there's nothing there to get in the way.
Saishū kōnā

Zynerji

ayoubenq wrote:
I think the v-shaped wake of the front pitot tube will hit the curl, and determine alot of what happens there...

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Vanja posted his CFD of the F1-75 just now (in particular comparing a base 2022 car to their interesting sidepod design), which I felt deserved it's own thread in the aero sub-forum. I have moved it to the Aero sub-forum so that his great work doesn't get lost in this car thread. Please continue the discussion and commenting there, thanks.

viewtopic.php?t=30249
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Ozan
Ozan

the curve near rayban logo on sidepods reminded me of 2012 ferrari f1 car's sidepod

PlatinumZealot

This car will be a beast on the straights!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

S E C T I O

ayoubenq wrote:
Image Sorry for my English. Yes, I thought too. While the grilles with the part in the circle end up in the main profile, the hot air from inside vents into the beam wing. They kept the upper part of the car very clean and slim, with the additional advantage of lowering the weights. In fact as mentioned in the interviews, everything has been sacrificed for aerodynamics. the same front suspension, although it seems less clean and more messy than the others, I think it has that purpose. I hope they are not wrong, not I know if she will win the championship of the fastest, but for me she wins by far the championship of the most beautiful from many years.
Last edited by S E C T I O on 20 Feb 2022, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
-§- Each section is wholeness. Oo==§==oO My english suck,sorry-§-

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

I read on twitter that a) Ferrari is expecting to bring updates to Bahrain (I feel this is pretty obvious and that everyone will) but also b) that they’ve been running a show-car spec of the floor until this point.

They did say some details would be hidden, but we’ve been absolutely flooded with pictures and content from the launch and from their filming day - so perhaps the hidden things aren’t on the car at all yet?

Can anyone confirm from the floor if it’s show car spec? I’ve tried but am too dumb :oops: