2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

KimiRai wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 22:29
That makes it quite challenging for the strategist to do their work.

Juzh

gg max for 3rd wdc and piastri for not losing his head and taking the w. Tomorrow ez win for max. Norris would be in a position to cause trouble but he nuked himself yesterday so thats that. Even so P2-3 is still on the cards for mclarens, with SC maybe even more. Max wasn't gaining all that much in sprint towards the end there.

search

chrisc90 wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 21:48
Could be advantage bottom runners tomorrow.

Look at Haas, Alpha Tauri and Williams all with 2 new hards and mediums (except Mag). Alfa arent in a bad spot either with Bottas and Zhou
I actually thing it's the opposite. Someone like Hulk will be screwed if they mandate a three stopper, because they can't use their two sets of hard tyres as they normally would like to. 3 Stops + 20 laps max plays in the hands of those with fewer good race tyres left.

chrisc90

Current usage

However your effectively left with this, to make a 3 stopper. Other tyres are there, but you wouldnt get the full 15laps out of them to maximise a 3 stopper.

Tyre lap use to present.

(I thought I posted it earlier as part of my initial diagrams - seemingly not)

Sieper

Juzh wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 22:43
gg max for 3rd wdc and piastri for not losing his head and taking the w. Tomorrow ez win for max. Norris would be in a position to cause trouble but he nuked himself yesterday so thats that. Even so P2-3 is still on the cards for mclarens, with SC maybe even more. Max wasn't gaining all that much in sprint towards the end there.
No but he spent all early laps dead behind the red tire starters (overtaking them again) asking a lot of the tires plus there were like 7 laps behind the SC making any potential tire wear advantage null/too short to have a go. Piastri spent the lap that Max was stuck behind George well.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sieper wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 23:03
Juzh wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 22:43
No but he spent all early laps dead behind the red tire starters (overtaking them again) asking a lot of the tires plus there were like 7 laps behind the SC making any potential tire wear advantage null/too short to have a go. Piastri spent the lap that Max was stuck behind George well.
GP commented (quite upset) that Max pushed the tires too hard at the beginning of the stint (temperatures). This likely was the reason why he didn't have anything for Piastri. Rosberg said Max's front left was dead at the end.

There is room for improvement of the overall stint time with more management at the beginning tomorrow (at least that's what they will be hoping...).

Juzh

Norris was doing PB sectors on final lap, nearly matching Ver's fastest lap, so at least for him tyres were fine and he was also racing people around him.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 23:33
Norris was doing PB sectors on final lap, nearly matching Ver's fastest lap, so at least for him tyres were fine and he was also racing people around him.
There is an air of Brazil/Austria around it to be honest...with the dead front tires.

Rb had these performance swings at the beginning of the year. The opposition was just too slow to do anything about it. Mclaren is now very fast, so when RB is weak, it's no longer enough.

What RB have going for them is the massive grid disadvantage the Mclarens brought upon themselves. Who knows, maybe the Mercs will be trouble tomorrow.

search

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Oct 2023, 23:35
What RB have going for them is the massive grid disadvantage the Mclarens brought upon themselves.
they'll probably need to start of softs and hope for at least one Mercedes to do the same and get into the lead for the first stint. I don't think I've ever seen this much of a tyre advantage at the start before as it was the case today.

Sieper

AR3-GP wrote:
Juzh wrote:
There is an air of Brazil/Austria around it to be honest...with the dead front tires.

Rb had these performance swings at the beginning of the year. The opposition was just too slow to do anything about it. Mclaren is now very fast, so when RB is weak, it's no longer enough.

What RB have going for them is the massive grid disadvantage the Mclarens brought upon themselves. Who knows, maybe the Mercs will be trouble tomorrow.
Jos didn’t think so after the sprint. And he seemed well informed about the tactical plan.

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
Who knows, maybe the Mercs will be trouble tomorrow.
Merc don't have enough underlying pace in a like for like situation, so I don't believe they can do much.

Cassius
Cassius

Juzh wrote:
Norris had DRS in s1 after he passed Russell. Also Max did a better lap time 2 laps earlier, and then he couldn’t keep that pace. I am sure Lando also would not be able to keep these mid 1.25s.

Max knew that the only way to stay close to the front was to get past slower cars asap. Just like in Sing last year. He only cares about the win. In the end it wasn’t enough as Piastri still had pretty good pace. Norris was slow in passing and was way behind. Without the 7 laps behind safety cars maybe Max might have had a better chance.

Cassius
Cassius

Juzh wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 00:03
AR3-GP wrote:
Merc don't have enough underlying pace in a like for like situation, so I don't believe they can do much.
I am not so sure. Have you analyzed Hamilton’s free air lap times? There weren’t many so difficult to tell. They are likely behind Max but that can not be concluded from this sprint.

Juzh

Cassius wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 01:43
Juzh wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 00:03
AR3-GP wrote:
I am not so sure. Have you analyzed Hamilton’s free air lap times? There weren’t many so difficult to tell. They are likely behind Max but that can not be concluded from this sprint.
I dont see where mercedes can pull from those 3-4 tenths they lacked in quali on friday and in general this year.

I had a look at hamilton's onboard and interestingly he was doing no management whatsoever and his pace was getting better, yet all we're hearing from RB to max is to keep doing management all the time. confusing :?
Maybe deg can give merc some edge for once.

fastspider
fastspider

Hello friends,
Today on race was crash between Esteban Ocon, Nico Hulkenberg or Sergio Perez. On result Nico Hulkenberg has 11 laps finished on website https://www.formula1.com/ but Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon just 10 laps but on website https://www.flashscore.com/motorsport/ both has 10 laps? I know that after crash Nico Hulkenberg ride to pit lane to retire his car. Is it possible thar pit lane is placed after finish ? For me is important is Hulkenberg made more laps or not ?Anyone know? Thanks!