Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Lotus 2010 Car

Back int he hey day of F1, before ads, when cars only livery was their country color, and a large white circle with a number in it, cars used specific colors for their country. Italy was red, America blue, and Britain, British Racing Green. It's a specific shade, copyrighted, and has a Pantone number, 5535.

Here is a Miata that was realeased in the official BRG in 91.

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pandamasque

Giblet wrote:It's a specific shade, copyrighted, and has a Pantone number, 5535.

Where did that come from?

Some examples of BRG:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_racing_green

manchild
manchild

Giblet wrote:Without trying to flare up the UK folks, just a question, is this shade of greeen British Racing Green?
Nope, that's Irish green. :mrgreen:

Giblet
Giblet

Pandamasque wrote:
Giblet wrote:It's a specific shade, copyrighted, and has a Pantone number, 5535.

Where did that come from?
Britain, then Mazda :)

Not sure if the cars you showed have original paint, which although faded, might make them more valuable.

It used to be a requirement. Lotus, BRM, whoever, was BRG, Eagle was blue, same shade every time. Ferrari and Alpha were both the same red as well, AFAIK, Gold Leaf sponsoring the Lotus was the first time that the official colors were not used, so Lotus might have been the first to break tradition.

I'm just curious if the Lotus is painted in Pantone 5535, or BRG.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

horse

Giblet wrote:I'm just curious if the Lotus is painted in Pantone 5535, or BRG.
It looks pretty close:

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

horse

It's certainly a different shade to the last BRG F1 car

Last edited by horse on 15 Feb 2010, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Richard
Richard

Giblet wrote:Without trying to flare up the UK folks .....

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8009

Giblet
Giblet

horse wrote:It's certainly a different shade to the last BRG F1 car

Image this is the official, trademarked color Pantone 5535, looks like the Lotus car is trying to be true to it's heritage

Pandamasque

It's quite obvious that Jag's old BRG is darker than the light version used by Aston Martin (who still use that colour) or more saturated Lotus'. The BRG used on a Type 127 is very similar to the one in the Lotus road car range.

autogyro
autogyro

Close but no coconut.
British racing Green was used on the Vanwall and BRM, before that the ERA's and some others.
There was a specific definition of the colour but I have seen no two cars using it of the same shade.
As a matter of interest, a few years ago when some of us used BRG I researched Ferrari red and found that the shade most accepted by Ferrari themselves is also 'British Pillar Box Red'. Of course Ferari seldom use the same shade, like everybody else using National colours.
This years Lotus is close by the way.

asdf10101
asdf10101

im wondering why they gave fairuz the first test session.. i thought it would be a waste for the team cause he probably couldn't give any input to improve the car..
anyway my money my choice :lol:
but seriously i think that would cause trulli or kovalainen down.. being the main drivers but not the first to test the car.. even for the shakedown..

maybe the test is

trulli = 3 session (1+2)
kovalainen = 3 session (2+1)
fairuz = 2 session (1+1)

Fil

asdf10101 wrote:im wondering why they gave fairuz the first test session.. i thought it would be a waste for the team cause he probably couldn't give any input to improve the car..
initial day's runs are more about system checks etc. so no technical feedback seems to actually be required - nothing performance based anyway.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

pipex
pipex

It's interesting to note that the small protrusions in the nose are present in the nose of the Toyota TF109.

And it's even more interesting that the entire nose treatment seems very similar to the TF109, instead than the one from the Force India VJM02. The rear is completely different, as are the sidepods shape and exhausts locations. Deflectors too.

Sidepods inlets shape is different to VJM02 and TF109, and more similar to the VJM01.

Simple square rear wing end plates are similar to VJM02 launch configuration (not shown).

Front looks very developed, but from the sidepods backwards looks like they will need more development. With my crystal ball I predict this are will change soon. (this is as technical as some other posts posted in the board hahaha) :lol:

The Toyota concept and influence can clearly be seen, which is natural because many ex-Toyota people worked on this car. With my limited knowledge i cannot say more, sorry. Hope someone who knows more than me could say what benefits this nose can have over another design.
"We will have to wait and see".

pipex
pipex

Another question/observation!, the undercutting of the sidepods looks vital for the air flow management of the rear of the car, because nearly all the teams try to do this. In 2008 configuration, this was not the case, and the inlet shape was very different. Is this wrong?
"We will have to wait and see".

Pandamasque

The undercut sidepods tendency started around 2003 I think. The 2005 Sauber had immensely undercut sidepods.