2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jackles-UK

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Overconfident, under-prepared, unreliable and lacking straight line speed.

Their Indy 500 attempt was curiously similar to their 2015-18 F1 seasons!

Morteza

Jackles-UK wrote:
20 May 2019, 00:19

Truly! This is such an embarrassment, but they deserve it.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ispano6

Jackles-UK wrote:

Remember his crash in pre-season testing? Something about electrocution? It never really started off well, whoever's fault it was.

zoroastar

Morteza wrote:
20 May 2019, 00:23
Jackles-UK wrote:

youre a d-bag. and you deserve it.

Morteza

zoroastar wrote:
20 May 2019, 02:02
Morteza wrote:
20 May 2019, 00:23
Jackles-UK wrote:

youre a d-bag. and you deserve it.
Why would I have anything against McLaren? I'm a fan of this team, but they were really underprepared this year. I'm disappointed because I thought they were going to be great, but the opposite happened. Why don't they do their research beforehand? It was such a rushed effort, being simply McLaren doesn't make you eligible for the win.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

RonDennis
RonDennis

langedweil wrote:
20 May 2019, 00:03
On a different note ... Alonso didn't make it ..
https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/22873
Great decision to use Carlin. =D>

If you want to do Indy 500 you should do it with full effort or not. Just join Indy Car fulltime instead of these lame attempts.

Zynerji

They have the car and Andretti know-how and suspension parts, they might as well just run the year. At least they could be competitive towards the end of the season, and then go into next year's Indy 500 and in much more competitive shape.

Might wanna give Rosberg and Jenson a call, and field a 3 Champ team for the year... :mrgreen:

diffuser

Jolle wrote:
19 May 2019, 22:01
diffuser wrote:
19 May 2019, 21:16
PhillipM wrote:
19 May 2019, 15:46
I can't remember the last time I watched a Monaco race. It's a great track, but it's not one that's interesting on an Sunday with F1 currently.

Personally I'd limit the wheelbase of all the cars to be a metre shorter and then we might be back to Monaco fun.
The track needs the straight to be longer so that you can pass there. Generally wider too.

The track is only interesting in the sense that you can see who has the best chassis.
Not really, Monaco is so different from other tracks, not only the tight corners but also the track surface. Lots of downforce without any efficiency. What the past seasons showed us is that it’s really a one off. Whoever can get the tires to switch on and don’t hit the barriers wins.
Agreed, you need the best chassis to do that. Not the best all around car, best chassis. The drivers needs confidence in the steering, braking and accelerating.. They need good mechanical grip to do all of those cause increased DF and HP doesn't help much around there.

diffuser

ME4ME wrote:
19 May 2019, 22:32
diffuser wrote:
19 May 2019, 21:16
The track needs the straight to be longer so that you can pass there. Generally wider too.

The track is only interesting in the sense that you can see who has the best chassis.
I can only speak for myself, but please no. I'm utterly bored by long straight into tight corner passing. Not a fan of wide track either. If something needs fixing, then it's Formula 1 itself and its cars.

There could be other places to pass in Monaco, like down the start/finish line, but there is a huge dip in the road there. It becomes a huge bump and everyone has to stay to the right.

The new rules are almost fixed but they will not help Monaco. Almost like f1 have given up on it.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Sooner or later, people will start to catch on the McLaren of old doesn't exist anymore and it's not coming back.

The Alonso debacle at Indianapolis is no surprise.

Regarding Monaco: it's one of maybe 5 must-watch races of the year for me, even if it is difficult to pass there.

I love it there.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

RonDennis wrote:
20 May 2019, 02:22
Great decision to use Carlin. =D>

If you want to do Indy 500 you should do it with full effort or not. Just join Indy Car fulltime instead of these lame attempts.
Carlin situation is critical here. Obviously Carlin got something wrong this year and McLaren who depended on them followed suit. In the end, Alonso beat 2 od 3 Carlin cars, and was knocked out by slightest of margins (even after crashing in practice and losing a day and a half).

Half assed attempt, but their partnership with Carlin is probably main reason for their failure. McLaren should at least commit to all of the ovals, to improve their oval knowledge and experience. Running a full season wouldn't be a bad idea as well. I was hoping they'd sign up O'Ward and then put him in their IndyCar team.

geogate
geogate

Its just not true that they were overconfident - they knew very well that they were up against it without the backing of Andretti this time

Nivedanm
Nivedanm

To enter a new sport and dominate must be impossible for anyone unless they partner with/buy a successful and established team. So, I am not surprised, and I didn't have high expectations. I hope they do better in the future, and I really wish Alonso wins the triple crown. Anyways, no use discussing that now I guess. Let's focus our attention towards Monaco GP. :)

Any idea how they performed in Barcelona S3 during in-season testing? Did they improve times in that sector? If they managed to find a setup sweetspot, they maybe able to get into Q3 in Monaco.

_cerber1

Carlos has always been qualified well in Monaco. It's hard to tell behind the chassis.

M840TR
M840TR

Nivedanm wrote:
20 May 2019, 12:53
To enter a new sport and dominate must be impossible for anyone unless they partner with/buy a successful and established team. So, I am not surprised, and I didn't have high expectations. I hope they do better in the future, and I really wish Alonso wins the triple crown. Anyways, no use discussing that now I guess. Let's focus our attention towards Monaco GP. :)

Any idea how they performed in Barcelona S3 during in-season testing? Did they improve times in that sector? If they managed to find a setup sweetspot, they maybe able to get into Q3 in Monaco.
Poorly. They were loosing 8 or 9 tenths to pole but more or less matching Haas and Ferrari. Carlos specifically mentioned their abysmal performance in S3 after the race. However, the team also said it was only due to a sub-optimal setup.