2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Interesting. In the final sector (turns T12,13,14) Norris's line is to the left and lower than Ricardo's. So they're slowing down more for those turns. If they were slower in accelerating (lack of traction) the gap would be on the right.

The high speed turn of T9 McLaren is full throttle through it while alfa and Renault are not.

Nivedanm
Nivedanm

I remember a lot of people jumping to the conclusion that Ferrari-style in-wash aero is flawed two weeks ago. This is a screenshot from a Sky Sports article that says Ferrari are rumoured to be reworking their front suspension and not aero.

BrunoH
BrunoH

nice info with the telemetry

_cerber1

It is a pity there is no telemetry of Carlos, he has the first sector faster than RB and Haas.

Jackles-UK

RonDennis wrote:
22 May 2019, 02:27
Jackles-UK wrote:
22 May 2019, 02:09
RonDennis wrote:
22 May 2019, 01:25

Yes. Haven't seen them on the sidepod though. Might have expanded their deal.

https://i0.wp.com/www.vapetrotter.com/n ... C250&ssl=1
Am I right in saying Monaco is one of only a handful of countries on the F1 calendar where tobacco advertising is still legal? Maybe that means BAT can expand as a one-off for this weekend?
Well they have been running BAT branding on all tracks except Melbourne, so that shouldn't make a difference.
Australia have exceptionally strict tobacco advertising rules so not even the manufacturing companies are allowed a presence. Vype isn’t actually a “tobacco” product though so it’ll probably slip through the loopholes in that regulation as long as the host country allows it (much like the alcohol sponsorship rules in Middle Eastern races, Martini & Williams had to temporarily rebrand for example).

M840TR
M840TR

_cerber1 wrote:
22 May 2019, 13:11
It is a pity there is no telemetry of Carlos, he has the first sector faster than RB and Haas.
Maybe that's why he went wide later, finished tyres.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

No signs of any updates?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
22 May 2019, 15:56
_cerber1 wrote:
In an interview after quali he said he after seeing his times were not good enough in the first 2 sectors, he pushed harder in S3 or tried something different, don't remember which.

_cerber1

diffuser wrote:
22 May 2019, 17:43
M840TR wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
In an interview after quali he said he after seeing his times were not good enough in the first 2 sectors, he pushed harder in S3 or tried something different, don't remember which.
No, he said that he made a mistake in the second sector, and tried to compensate for it in the third, but he was mistaken there too.

_cerber1

Question: What can you say about the behavior of the machine on one fast lap

Carlos Sainz: This is the right question. This is the most important of all, so we need to pay maximum attention to the qualifications in order to perform better on Saturday than in Barcelona. But after the tests we were able to understand a lot, were able to analyze what was happening with the car in qualifying and the race, why we lost so much in the last sector. A specific problem was identified, due to which our car in Barcelona did not work perfectly. I hope that the conclusions we have made will contribute to a positive attitude this weekend.

Question: What was the problem?

Carlos Sainz: I can not go into details, just say that not everything in the car worked as it should work. If at the Spanish Grand Prix the car worked as it did on the tests, I would be more comfortable behind the wheel.

However, I still earned points. But this is Formula 1: in the first three races I was very unlucky, but then I arrived at the track, where I did not even count on an effective finish, but earned four points. Therefore, at the beginning of the year I said that there was no reason for panic. In Formula 1, you lose something, but there is always a chance to gain something. And yet I think that the team in Barcelona worked perfectly: we had an excellent tactic, which we perfectly implemented.

We did everything right, so we got the opportunity to attack at the end of the race, although the car was not that damaged, but the effect was almost the same. Of course, the last stretch of the race we had in combat, attacked Haas and Toro Rosso, and I got great pleasure on my home Grand Prix.

diffuser

_cerber1 wrote:
22 May 2019, 18:13
diffuser wrote:
22 May 2019, 17:43
M840TR wrote:

No, he said that he made a mistake in the second sector, and tried to compensate for it in the third, but he was mistaken there too.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... P33SR.html
Carlos Sainz, 13th, 1:17.599

“Today was a tricky session and we still need to analyse why. We were looking good in quali until Q2. A snap in Turn 5 in my last attempt compromised my lap so I tried to recover in sector three, pushed too hard and did a mistake. That’s it.

His times in S1+S2 in that final lap were still better than his previous attempt. Naturally if he hadn't had the snap in T4 it would have been faster. He would have out qualified Norris had he not pushed so hard in S3 but still would not have made it into Q3.

ScottR267
ScottR267

https://twitter.com/tom_stallard/status ... 57696?s=21

Looks like the sidepod is now filled with Vype. Looks a lot better now without the blank space imo

Mansell89
Mansell89

So how do we expect the weekend to go for McLaren?

The fact McLaren has done a real solid job in higher speed corners, seemingly reduced the drag after last years big mistake means Monaco might not be a track to suit. Especially if we take sector 3 at Barcelona at face value.

Having said that, this is a car that they say responds positively to set up changes and updates, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it shakes out with a heap of downforce and rear wing added to it.

mwillems

Both Sainz and Ivsn Roldan have stated after the test, and in their own way, that the trouble in Barcas slow corners was setup related and they have found the solution.

I think before Spain and directly after the race we'd be forgiven for thinking they would struggle here.

But it seems they think they know the answer, so if you want to look for a reason to optimistic then you can find it there.

Im just going to wait and see what comes out of today.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

Please stop that "Barca", "Barça", "Barcas" thing. It's either "Barcelona", "Montmeló" or, by its name, "Circuit de Barcelona", "Circuit de Catalunya" (Circuitro de Cataluña, Circuit of Catalonia... you choose the language)
mwillems wrote:
23 May 2019, 09:39
Both Sainz and Ivsn Roldan have stated after the test, and in their own way, that the trouble in Barcas slow corners was setup related and they have found the solution.

I think before Spain and directly after the race we'd be forgiven for thinking they would struggle here.

But it seems they think they know the answer, so if you want to look for a reason to optimistic then you can find it there.

Im just going to wait and see what comes out of today.