2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

:lol: Some quality ‘answers’ in this from the pre-race show before Miami is anyone missed it.

Lando lie detector
Just a fan's point of view

genarro
genarro

CjC wrote:
08 May 2024, 22:39
:lol: Some quality ‘answers’ in this from the pre-race show before Miami is anyone missed it.

Lando lie detector
On F1 youtube channel you have a 2 podcasts with Lando (is just a great laugh) and a podcast with Zak. And just listened to it, Zak is such a passionate personality and he said that he has been a lifelong McLaren fan. Just reafirms that he really is the right guy for McLaren

genarro
genarro

CjC wrote:

Lando lie detector
On F1 youtube channel you have a 2 podcasts with Lando (is just a great laugh) and a podcast with Zak. And just listened to it, Zak is such a passionate personality and he said that he has been a lifelong McLaren fan. Just reafirms that he really is the right guy for McLaren

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:

Lando lie detector
I posted the same video after the race. Did not see?

CjC
CjC

LionsHeart wrote:
09 May 2024, 11:43
CjC wrote:

Lando lie detector
No I didn’t :lol:

When ever I posts links to stuff I usually start my post off with ‘sorry if it’s already been posted’ :lol:

It’s that good I thought I’d post it again :wink: :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

The boss talking about the win with Sky F1. Both videos today (team celebration at MTC)

Lando talking with Sky

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
09 May 2024, 13:54
LionsHeart wrote:
09 May 2024, 11:43
CjC wrote:

Lando lie detector
No I didn’t :lol:

When ever I posts links to stuff I usually start my post off with ‘sorry if it’s already been posted’ :lol:

It’s that good I thought I’d post it again :wink: :lol:
I do not argue. I was also amused by this video. I will only note that it was posted 1-2 hours before the start of the race. In general, the content of the video turned out to be very useful.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

So, uh. I watched the onboard of Hamilton, Leclerc, Verstappen and Lando. For McLaren fans and supporters, I have some very good news. Lando drove very confidently and didn't make a single driving mistake from the beginning to the end of the race. The chassis balance is neutral in all corners. There is no understeer or oversteer. Just as impressive is how easily Lando hits the apex in turns 7 and 17. The front end has good grip. There are no problems on corner exit either, the traction on exit is very high. Given that there were no problems with top speed either, this is the first race so far where the McLaren chassis has performed exemplarily well.

If we analyze Verstappen's race, he constantly had problems at the entrance to turn 7, he could not get to the apex. The same with Turn 17, but I dare to suggest that it was more to do with the braking balance. He had those problems for the first two thirds of the race. And only in the last 16-18 laps Max didn't have any visible balance problems.

Back to Lando: he was easily able to get to the apex of Turn 16, no extra steering wheel to be done. The same can be said for the long right turn 12. Absolutely no problems during the whole race. Frankly speaking, remembering all onboard from the races of last season, I can not believe how McLaren were able to turn the situation in their favor.

I have assumptions about this:
Firstly, there is a high probability that the reason lies in the road surface. Smooth asphalt without bumps suits McLaren well. In addition, the surface is not abrasive, if compared to Bahrain and Suzuka. By the way, this year it is in Bahrain and Suzuka McLaren performed the weakest in relation to Red Bull and Ferrari.

Secondly and in continuation, this effect is possible if the tire wear is high. And in Bahrain and Suzuka, tire wear is always high. Perhaps this condition affects the grip in the front, which causes the manifestation of understeer.

Thirdly, in Australia, the McLaren chassis was the fastest on the third leg of the race, Lando was faster than both Ferrari and Red Bull Checo. If I remember correctly, the conditions were warm then too and what's more, the asphalt at Albert Park looks just as smooth without any bumps. But in Melbourne the main effect was tire grit. The granulation limited the capabilities of the Red Bulls.

So I'm coming to certain conclusions: the McLaren chassis can handle high temperatures quite adequately if the abrasiveness of the asphalt is low. Smooth asphalt and the absence of bumps allows you to set the ground clearance lower, which contributes to greater downforce throughout the range, including in slow corners. Conversely, the presence of bumps requires the chassis to be raised, losing some of the downforce needed in slow corners. Abrasive asphalt quickly wears tires, which leads to understeer, which prevents drivers from confidently get on the apex and eventually leads to loss of time on the lap.

Yes, the McLaren chassis warms up the tires easily and performs much better than Ferrari in that regard. That was particularly noticeable in Shanghai. But in the hot weather I did not see any visible problems. I repeat, Lando throughout the race did not make a single mistake in the corners. Absolute neutral corner entrances in all corners both with full tanks and empty.

I almost forgot, there is no bouncing on straight lines, no sounds of any kind. But you can clearly hear bumps in turn 4 and 5 during the whole race.

And lastly, look at the part where the control bar rubs against the roadbed. You can see in the photo that it is the front part. Remembering similar photos under the Red Bull floor, it was the whole length of the control bar. I think McLaren were able to add downforce at the front by shifting the pressure gradient under the floor. But that's just a guess.

saputra_25
saputra_25

Seems it is set for white-red livery for Monaco

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

That’s very-very good: The gravel safety zone has become wider and closer to the road surface. There will be less desire to cut the turn and the judges will not have to make decisions to cancel laps.

JordanMugen

LionsHeart wrote:
09 May 2024, 18:58
And lastly, look at the part where the control bar rubs against the roadbed. You can see in the photo that it is the front part. Remembering similar photos under the Red Bull floor, it was the whole length of the control bar. I think McLaren were able to add downforce at the front by shifting the pressure gradient under the floor. But that's just a guess.
https://i.ibb.co/zZz2PTb/7-C7-FC508-CAF ... CBEC15.jpg
The McLaren gearbox is lovely and narrow in the diffuser area! =D>

saputra_25 wrote:
10 May 2024, 13:56
Seems it is set for white-red livery for Monaco
Probably white-orange. There's no reason for the livery to be red, it's not in the team or any sponsor's colours.

Zaamy
Zaamy

But red is on all the merch they've just released for Monaco

https://www.mclarenstore.com/collection ... collection

ollandos
ollandos

https://prnt.sc/kcOzizohl_0L

i find this on facebook ...not official but not bad

Emag
Emag

It would so cool to have that livery run the streets of Monaco again. Who knows, perhaps Ayrton's spirit will take over the cars and push them to a win with those colors again.

mwillems

This is one of 2 liveries that is down to OKX to design, weight permitting. So a Red and White car is quite possible, but perhaps a lot less colour than on the original Marlboro Mclaren. That said, it is Monaco so perhaps the weight isn't so much of an issue.

Haider, OKX's Chief Marketing Officer is the guy designing it for Monaco, on behalf of OKX. He made a particular point in the announcement of how much he loves Senna. The pictures are some lovely art done by someone else on the interweb, it isn't a render of the actual artwork. I like it, but it needs more Red to prevent it from looking HAAS like.

Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.