Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

Guys, as Steven and I have said: this is testing and this is exactly why their issues were happening the previous 2 days: now they have the time to sort the power unit out. As it now looks, it was down to just finetuning sensors and electronics correctly, something they simply needed tracktime for.

They have made very good progress with that, so please let's move on from lamenting their issues and go on about the features of the car, as half of the members already have done in this topic.
#AeroFrodo

Mesteño

Thunders wrote:
Mesteño wrote:I keep wondering... If they can run so many laps today with new engine, which sounds good... What were they running with the past two days? Untamable beast of some kind?
Or... you know... Sensor/Communication Glitches as they stated multiple times. :wink:
There are rumours today's engine is the engine they were going to test in Barcelona.
https://twitter.com/FormulaGP2015/statu ... 4685456384 I don't know, I find it odd one engine has sensor/communication glitches and sounds like farting and next day new engine sounds so good!
turbof1 wrote: They have made very good progress with that, so please let's move on from lamenting their issues and go on about the features of the car, as half of the members already have done in this topic.[/i]
Sorry my man I was just speculating!

chumma
chumma

anyone else noticed heat shield around the back of engine cover above exhaust? wasn't there yesterday or any other day (that I noticed anyway) but its wrapped up today in matte grey looking shielding, Honda starting to warm up perhaps?

turbof1

chumma wrote:anyone else noticed heat shield around the back of engine cover above exhaust? wasn't there yesterday or any other day (that I noticed anyway) but its wrapped up today in matte grey looking shielding, Honda starting to warm up perhaps?
Yes very possible. They are running the power unit in a higher setting as obvious by their speed traps, so naturally it'll be generating more heat. Based on tweets 2 days ago, their primary concern was overheating due the intense packaging.

I also want to repeat that discussion about laptimes, lap count or anything of that matter belongs in the test/race thread.
#AeroFrodo

the EDGE
the EDGE

Its been there since Sunday, I guess it looks different as the swan neck is interchangeable from the engine cover and it hasn't been fully painted

Henne

the EDGE wrote:Its been there since Sunday, I guess it looks different as the swan neck is interchangeable from the engine cover and it hasn't been fully painted

This last picture really shows how tight the McLaren package is oposite to the Red Bull one. No wonder if they might experience some heating issues.

stefan_
stefan_

2015 Winter testing | Session 1, Day 3 - Jerez de la Frontera, Spain (03.02.2015)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

the EDGE
the EDGE

Henne wrote:
the EDGE wrote:Its been there since Sunday, I guess it looks different as the swan neck is interchangeable from the engine cover and it hasn't been fully painted

This last picture really shows how tight the McLaren package is oposite to the Red Bull one. No wonder if they might experience some heating issues.
Redbull have gone tighter overthe exhaust this year and bigger at the sides, Mclaren have followed what redbull did last year, but yes...the packaging is incredible

the EDGE
the EDGE

The surface of the nose cone is a lot more shaped than I initially thought, especially around the camera mounts.

JoeE
JoeE

Water leek has halted today's running.
Last edited by turbof1 on 03 Feb 2015, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No discussion about laptimes in the car thread allowed.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Last edited by turbof1 on 03 Feb 2015, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No discussion about laptimes in the car thread allowed.

turbof1

I repeat: discussion about laptimes, lapcounts or Santa Claus testlapping his sled belong in the test thread.

Removed associated posts and/or part of posts.
#AeroFrodo

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

I was thinking more of the mileage covered, giving McLaren Honda more insight into how the power unit is performing and how the aero is working or not working.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Richard wrote:Is it just me or is that safety light now looking suspiciously coanda-exhaust-ramp like?
The close proximity of the exhaust and rear crash structure suggests that something is going on.

The rear crash structure has a gentle taper, ending in a flare that must direct the air up and sideways. The edges are also rounded. The expanding exhaust interacts with this rear crash structure, is this an attempt to eliminate the monkey seat but still achieve the same end result?

But then again, maybe McLaren are throwing everyone a dummy. A monkey seat may appear, but it if does not, that is even more intriguing.

I am confused, a lot of attention is directed towards a smooth airflow at the rear with the streamlined suspension arms, yet the driveshaft and the pullrod are round and exposed to the airflow. Will they also receive aerodynamic covers in the future?

On both days the mechanics receiving the car after a run are wearing electrical safety gloves, also suggesting that the KERS is operational.

On a side note, it is real nice that Button still has Pappa Smurf on the back of his helmet. Love never dies. Respect.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

dren

Maybe it has more to do with available mounting points. They probably are using last year's box and adapted their aero goals to it. I'd expect a covered drive shaft for future cars, though.

I don't expect to see a monkey seat until later. They are probably focused on getting the car running reliably first.
Honda!