Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
outsid3r

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF70H

Mat-tes wrote:https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/K ... 022292.jpg

What is the red shape cut out on the left of the side-pod panel, to the left of the infor logo. Looks like a window with red tint (like some infra red lense) of some sort, could there be a camera of some sort placed there looking at the floor?
Let's speculate there is a camera, could it then be used to monitor the possible pipe that passes just in front of it, monitoring its temperature?
It's maybe a reflection, but from here it really look like a transparent surface.

If it's not that, then do some of you have any idea what it could be?
Was just thinking the very same thing, and it is definitely not a reflection.

Could it be some kind of fine mesh covered exhaust?

EDIT - Was also present on launch spec so there might be something clever going on:

Last edited by outsid3r on 08 Mar 2017, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

CriXus
CriXus

AMUS article about Ferrari's sidepods
In recent years, Ferrari had been accused of having built a conservative car. Not this time. The first thing you notice about the new SF70H is the cooling in the side boxes and the flow aids in front. For Ferrari, this is a rectangular carbon loop just in front of the cooling inlets, which are connected to the horizontal baffles. This makes the SF70H different from all other cars.
From the front it looks as if the loop of the cooling inlet. Only on closer inspection is it seen that the elongated box is only an attachment to the actual side boxes and the extremely high-lying cooling inlets. But why is this unusual solution good. Even Red Bull's aerodynamic guru Adrian Newey admitted after the first glance: "I do not understand the Ferrari solution."
Ferrari bypasses new side box rule
In the meantime the engineers of the competition know exactly what Ferrari is aiming at with its unusual idea. The engineers, headed by chief designer Simone Resta, trick the new side box regulations.
Clause 3.8.8. Prescribes a slight sweep backwards for the front edge of the side boxes. The angle to the longitudinal axis must be 75 degrees. It is a rule of optics. Together with the delta front wing and the rear-angled tail wing end plates, this is to give the car from the bird's perspective an aggressive arrow shape.
The aerodynamics do not like the arrow form. You would prefer a right-angled arrangement. Because the baffles and the approach of the side boxes work together better and the flow is easier to guide around the side parts.
Anyone looking at the Ferrari can see how Ferrari cleverly defrains the FIA. Only the upstream approach is as angled as prescribed by the regulations. The side boxes themselves continue to be at a 90 degree angle to the longitudinal axis.
With this trick, Ferrari can build the side boxes shorter. The horizontal baffles lie a little farther away from the approach of the side frames and can thus better fulfill their function.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 42875.html
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

SiLo

matt21 wrote:
Mat-tes wrote:https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/K ... 022292.jpg

What is the red shape cut out on the left of the side-pod panel, to the left of the infor logo. Looks like a window with red tint (like some infra red lense) of some sort, could there be a camera of some sort placed there looking at the floor?
Let's speculate there is a camera, could it then be used to monitor the possible pipe that passes just in front of it, monitoring its temperature?
It's maybe a reflection, but from here it really look like a transparent surface.

If it's not that, then do some of you have any idea what it could be?
Which part do you mean exactly?
Look to the right of the word Infor. See a small red patch? I think he means that bit.
Felipe Baby!

aral
aral

It's a reflection! note that it is not mirrored on the floor whereas INFOR etc is. :roll:

outsid3r

aral wrote:It's a reflection! note that it is not mirrored on the floor whereas INFOR etc is. :roll:

Scroll up a bit... exact same pattern from 2 different angles and also on launch spec

F1Krof

I've noticed it before. Seems to me like a thin aluminum hatch. Could be used to access the electronics and cables running underneath that area without the need to remove the bodywork.
Wroom wroom

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

looks like a small reflective patch. thus it not really being a 'reflection', but like a 'mirror patch'. still making a reflection, but, that would be why it's different to the rest of the black stroke around it.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

F1Krof wrote:I've noticed it before. Seems to me like a thin aluminum hatch. Could be used to access the electronics and cables running underneath that area without the need to remove the bodywork.
that would be more likely than what i mentioned. good explenation.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ema00
ema00

bill shoe wrote:
ema00 wrote:the third one is astonishing
why is the third picture astonishing? not disagreeing, but why?
Because it makes me "wow", I don't know exactly why or what... Maybe the angle that allows a complete view of the car even under the coca-cola.

Aniway let's stop the OT ;)

Mat-tes
Mat-tes

I mistook my left and my right, sorry for that.
As other pointed out it's the oddly looking not carbon fiber patch on the right.
I don't know what it is but usually teams don't bother placing extra sticker on the car unless it's a sponsor, and it's been there since the launch car.
It might be nothing but that's why we come here, to discuss what might be something of interest or not.

outsid3r

Mat-tes wrote:I mistook my left and my right, sorry for that.
As other pointed out it's the oddly looking not carbon fiber patch on the right.
I don't know what it is but usually teams don't bother placing extra sticker on the car unless it's a sponsor, and it's been there since the launch car.
It might be nothing but that's why we come here, to discuss what might be something of interest or not.
Exactly... and no one has concrete reasons for all the heat sensors on the floor board so they might be related?

zioture
zioture

Today Photos #Testingf1

Complete gallery here http://www.newsf1.it/foto-gallery-barce ... day2-3039/

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

TEHNOS

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech ... te-880339/

What became apparent during the course of testing, although it could be seen at the launch, was that Ferrari has decided to use the floor as a conduit for cooling the car.
A channel, much like the ones you would see on a circuit board, can be seen exiting and re-entering the sidepod along its midriff.
The appearance of thermal stickers on the floor at various intervals along the conduit piqued interest in what the Scuderia is trying to achieve and still remains a little mysterious.

F1Krof

outsid3r wrote:
Mat-tes wrote:I mistook my left and my right, sorry for that.
Exactly... and no one has concrete reasons for all the heat sensors on the floor board so they might be related?
It is most likely a heat dissapation trick, much like the aluminum or cooper heat planes used in laptops' motherboards.
In mother boarda they use airflow generated from the fans to outsend the heat through the planes. In Ferrari's case, they use regular floor airflow to dissapate the heat, which to my mind means that the airflow will be even more energized heading towards the difuser, much like the EBDs, although with lesser effect. But my God this is very clever. :wtf:
Wroom wroom