F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1316
f1316

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Giblet wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:56
Jambier wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:54
Giblet wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 12:48

Ferrari are not "dominating" just because they are choosing to do laps at a quicker pace right now.
It's not about the pace, it's more than even them are surprised with it. Better than in simulation, with big smiles in all the team.

But indeed that do not mean that Mercedes may be at same pace, but for now Ferrari shows the best form
Again, it doesn't mean they are dominating and we do not have enough race sims to make a call yet.
Even when we do, let’s try to remember the hysteria from last year when Mercedes were apparently so far ahead of Ferrari - with Red Bull and, according to some, even Haas in between...

There were so many mitigating factors that it’s still not possible to draw any definitive conclusions from testing - even the supposed GPS traces bandied around by Amus turned out to be wide of the mark.

Nothing will be learned definitively (at least not by us OR the press) from testing.

Phil

Were they? As far as i remember, the conclusion was that Ferrari looked fast and that Haas was best of the rest. Turned out to be spot on, once you disregard that Melbourne is anything but a conclusive track.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sierra117

LM10 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 10:13

No, they (Karun, Crofty and the female reporter I don't know the name of) just sat around in the paddock and talked about the first day.
If she was the tall, bubbly lady, then it was Rosanna Tennant ;)
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

ferkan
ferkan

Phil wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 13:18
Were they? As far as i remember, the conclusion was that Ferrari looked fast and that Haas was best of the rest. Turned out to be spot on, once you disregard that Melbourne is anything but a conclusive track.
Nope. Last year Ferrari didn't look nearly as good as in 2017 testing (or this years). Basically, they where fastest on quali laps, but everybody noted RB and Merc ran with more fuel. In race pace, they were 0.2s behind Max in RB, but Merc where more then 0.5s ahead, so AMUS reported Ferrari boss faces where disappointing and where looking for fix (which btw came in Bahrain).

I always say not too look at testing times in vacuum, but when car looks good on track and when it can push great lap times lap in lap out, heavy or low fuel and on any type of tire, then you can look at times and say "This car is really good".

Thats Merc for you last few years, always top in race sim's and always closer then tire delta was (they ran on harder tires always).
Last edited by ferkan on 19 Feb 2019, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Norris did a 19.4 on the C2 tyres. Its not a one lap flier and then into the pits either. That's encouraging for McLaren.

SiLo

ferkan wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 13:28
Phil wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 13:18
Nope. Last year Ferrari didn't look nearly as good as in 2017 testing (or this years). Basically, they where fastest on quali laps, but everybody noted RB and Merc ran with more fuel. In race pace, they were 0.2s behind Max in RB, but Merc where more then 0.5s ahead, so AMUS reported Ferrari boss faces where disappointing and where looking for fix (which btw came in Bahrain).

I always say not too look at testing times in vacuum, but when car looks good on track and when it can push great lap times lap in lap out, heavy or low fuel and on any type of tire, then you can look at times and say "This car is really good".

Thats Merc for you last few years, always top in race sim's and always closer then tire delta was (they ran on harder tires always).
I think this may have been skewed by the cold temperatures traditionally favouring Mercedes. But this is an accurate representation of what happened.
Felipe Baby!

Phil

ferkan wrote:
I’m not suggesting everything can be told from testing, but that a general understanding of where the teams are can be drawn. Some easier than others. There is time between pre season testing 1, 2 and the first conclusive race (Bahrain). Between this, teams still make heaps of adjustments, so a team that may seemingly underperform in pre-testing may still be able to correct it before the season starts. As i said, many of the conclusions from pre-season testing werent that far off the mark. Obviously, the teams that are at the sharper end, are a little more difficult to assess due to differing testing programs and fuel loads etc.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ferkan
ferkan

Dipesh1995 wrote:
Norris did a 19.4 on the C2 tyres. Its not a one lap flier and then into the pits either. That's encouraging for McLaren.
Out
1:19.489
Cool down
1:20.062
Cool down
1:21.105
In

Giblet
Giblet

f1316 wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 13:14
Even when we do, let’s try to remember the hysteria from last year when Mercedes were apparently so far ahead of Ferrari - with Red Bull and, according to some, even Haas in between...

There were so many mitigating factors that it’s still not possible to draw any definitive conclusions from testing - even the supposed GPS traces bandied around by Amus turned out to be wide of the mark.

Nothing will be learned definitively (at least not by us OR the press) from testing.
And even when we get everyone relatively quantified after testing, the teams will all show up in Melbourne with altered cars.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Sawtooth-spike

I know the Tyre Compounds are only like this for testing, But am i the only one who is totally lost as to the what the tyre mean. I know They did a chart, but they have made it far harder to understand.

I dont really fancy watching with the Tyre Charts next to the screen.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Jambier

Sawtooth-spike wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 13:50
I know the Tyre Compounds are only like this for testing, But am i the only one who is totally lost as to the what the tyre mean. I know They did a chart, but they have made it far harder to understand.

To remember

2018 SUPER HARD = ...
2018 HARD = 2019 C1
2018 MEDIUM = 2019 C2
2018 SOFT = 2019 C3
2018 SUPERSOFT = ...
2018 ULTRASOFT = 2019 C4
2018 HYPERSOFT = 2019 C5

Sawtooth-spike

Jambier wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 13:52
Sawtooth-spike wrote:

To remember

2018 SUPER HARD = ...
2018 HARD = 2019 C1
2018 MEDIUM = 2019 C2
2018 SOFT = 2019 C3
2018 SUPERSOFT = ...
2018 ULTRASOFT = 2019 C4
2018 HYPERSOFT = 2019 C5
Ok, so the higher the number, the softer. Ok
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

CriXus
CriXus

AMUS article about the different front wing concepts

From Google translate:

The front wings of the new Formula 1 cars couldn't be more different than ever. There are two completely different concepts. Did Ferrari and Sauber make it right?

Actually, the changes in the regulations are not that extensive. Front and rear wings have new dimensions and shapes, the baffles have been trimmed a bit, the front brake vents now fulfill mainly the purpose they were intended. From an aerodynamicist's perspective, however, the new rules are a landslide. Everything from the front axle to the rear changes. Because the front wing sets the rest of the vehicle.

Perhaps this is the reason why the 2019 Formula 1 year brings so many different interpretations of wings, baffles, subfloors and side boxes. Especially the variety of front wings surprised. One would think that there is not much to fetch with only five elements left and right and end plates from the Lego kit. And yet almost every team has its own solution. And in terms of philosophy there are two contrary concepts.

Two extremes: the front wings of Sauber and Mercedes Sauber is one extreme, Mercedes the other. The key difference is easy to see when you look at the wing from the front. In the case of the Mercedes, the flaps are less classic in depth than on the outside. At Sauber, it is the other way round. As the flaps to the end plates are getting thinner and flatter. Ferrari follows a similar path, just not so extreme. Also McLaren and Toro Rosso have developed in this direction. Force India and Haas offer an interim solution. In these cars, the flaps inside are similar to the outside. Red Bull and Renault are with their front wing concept in the Mercedes area. Whereby the Silver Arrows have an additional special feature compared to all others. The end plates are curved inwards. In all other cars they point towards the front wheel to the outside. To a maximum of 15 degrees as allowed by the regulations. The Mercedes approach is a bit surprising, because we thought that the engineers would do anything to bluff the air outside on the front wheels.

Where does Ferrari bring the downforce back? Ferrari and Sauber are clearly following the outwash principle with their winged architecture. The flat flaps on the end plates help the air bypass the outside of the front wheel. They forego the front wing significantly on downforce, but get between the wheels a clean flow to the rear. Mercedes and Red Bull put a lot of pressure on the front, but then have to deal with the turbulence generated by the wing. So they have to somehow direct the turbulent flow further back into orderly paths. Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff wonders: "Somehow Ferrari and Sauber have to compensate for the loss of output. The question is how. "

There are different theories for that. Ferrari and Sauber benefit from a better vehicle balance. If you do not have that much downforce at the front, you do not have to pack so much in the back either. This reduces the air resistance, which has increased significantly this year because of the larger rear wing. We hear that Ferrari and Sauber are in the lead at top speed. That would speak for this thesis. Force India technical director Andy Green doubts that this is the secret. "This drag-down drag trade only works in a small window. If you give away too much downforce, you might get through a qualifying lap, but not in the race. Then the tires are suffering. "Green has another theory:" Ferrari and Sauber make their cars stronger. With this they get the front wing closer to the asphalt and thus get back the downforce, which they lose because of the smaller wing area. "

Ferrari concept hard to copy Sebastian Vettel's brilliant appearance on the first day of testing has taken many teams into pondering. Because Sauber also made a good figure. "All data in the wind tunnel were confirmed on the track, including those of the front wing," reveals team boss Frédéric Vasseur. This is the answer to the doubters who had already believed that Sauber had scored an own goal on his wing. An engineer said, "The concept with the flaps falling outwards looks wrong, but we'll have to try it out in the wind tunnel now." Interestingly, the statements of Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen are almost congruent: "I had from the first round to a good driving experience.". Vettel added: "I can throw the car where I want." And Raikkonen was happy: "The fast laps were easy for me." In other words, both cars are a good throw.Mercedes and Red Bull try to stay calm. But the body language in both teams was already a certain unrest can be seen that Ferrari may have put on the right horse and you do not even. Both now take a closer look at the concept of the opponent. Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff warns: "Everyone looks at the lap times, and everyone would like to stand in front. You have to be disciplined and the engineers have to do their job. The goal of the first test is not bests but to understand the car and collect data. "It would now be wrong to blindly copy Ferrari and Sauber. "You have to be true to your own philosophy and not allow yourself to be distracted too much by others."Red Bull team principal Christian Horner agrees: "It would not do any good to screw a Ferrari wing onto our car. He would not work there. "If it turns out that Ferrari is right, Mercedes and Red Bull have a problem. Mercedes more than Red Bull, because the car is less hired. The front wing itself would be copied quickly. "With the simpler wings, the production time has been reduced to a third compared to before," says Andy Green. But that alone would not be enough. Who wants to convert from the Mercedes wing to a Ferrari wing, must change the rest of the car with. And there would be a few weeks into the country until everything is reconciled. That could be crucial for the championship.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Sierra117

Sawtooth-spike wrote:

This is exactly what i was talking about was gonna happen. A name for a tyre that is an adjective is far more useful than "3 colours but hey you can check the chart to see the c-compounds!". All that happened was the complexity has increased. Having just 3 colours on race day makes no improvement because the names "soft medium hard" are no longer directly associates with the compounds, they're just relative terms now. It was easier before where the MAXIMUM "inconvenience" present was just checking which 3 of several compounds were available.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

etusch

Gasly (C3)

1: 21.342
1: 20.581
1: 22.108
1: 21.868
1: 21.850
1: 21.972
1: 22.019