2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

McG wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 06:15
SmallSoldier wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 05:52
McG wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 04:46

Mercedes have traditionally got away with a lot in the past. After Masi-gate and the floor rule change for 2021 I think Mercedes will be using all their clout again to push borderline rule breaking innovations. Mercedes can pull out of F1 and leave 2 teams looking for engines and a big hole where they used to be. Don't be surprised if a lot of things to go right for Mercedes from now on.
Let’s not bring the conspiracy theories into this thread please
Lol what. It's every teams mission to borderline rule break e.g find the unfair advantage and Mercedes have done that several times and got away with a slap on the wrist or less. Personally I was only ever mad at Merc for the illegal tyre test back in the day but I've lived seeing their innovations, it reminded me of what McLaren used to be like. If you need me to link several sources to past incidents and innovations that were banned then banned again, then you know less about F1 than I expected. Or did you mean that big teams never threaten to leave F1... How the hell do you think these teams get their way a lot of the time, it's not by saying please. I shouldn't really have to explain to you that the more successful a team becomes, they tend to hold more weight in the sport as a whole.

No conspiracy theories, just the way it is.
Let’s not polute the 2022 McLaren Team thread with “Conspiracy Theories”, let’s discuss the Team and everything related to it… If you have proof that Mercedes is cheating, been allowed to cheat, braking the rules or any other theories, I welcome you to open a different thread to discuss it… Let’s just not do it here.

I won’t comment further in this regard, I do welcome any discussion you may want to have in regards to the team.

_cerber1

Barcelona will meet the warmth of MCL36, +16-18 degrees in the afternoon, when McLaren starts his "races", a little wind. Much better than at Silverstone.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 10:43
Barcelona will meet the warmth of MCL36, +16-18 degrees in the afternoon, when McLaren starts his "races", a little wind. Much better than at Silverstone.
Today or tomorrow?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

_cerber1

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 11:56
_cerber1 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 10:43
Today or tomorrow?
Tomorrow

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

I just hope there will be "spy photographers" there for McLaren's filming day and for testing...

_cerber1

Emag
Emag

I am surprised how quiet the team is about this. I was hoping they would post some teasers today and follow up with some on-track footage tomorrow.

mwillems

McG wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 06:19
mwillems wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 11:14
McG wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 04:46

Mercedes have traditionally got away with a lot in the past. After Masi-gate and the floor rule change for 2021 I think Mercedes will be using all their clout again to push borderline rule breaking innovations. Mercedes can pull out of F1 and leave 2 teams looking for engines and a big hole where they used to be. Don't be surprised if a lot of things to go right for Mercedes from now on.
It's not breaking a rule it"s whether the FIA chose to put anything in around that type of development. We know they don't want that outwash but if further and more complex vanes come off that area or it grows to push more of the wake then what happens next.

I'd be surprised if it isn't an effective solution though and if other cars don't develop something similar so let's see what hits the track.
I said borderline. Which leaves a hell of a lot to interpretation either by official rules or sporting rules.
I know I get that, but to be clear no rules are broken. The only issue is that Brawn stated that he intends to remove the dirty air pushed behind the car and if people find loopholes he'll close them and ban their parts and he sought the leeway in the rules from the FIA to have more power to do that.

It's the spirit of the new regs that's being teased here and to be fair I think that what they have done is not pushing it too much, it's more the potential development that can be placed on top.

As for the conspiracy stuff, all teams take advantage of politics when they can but I'm not sure I align myself with your statement, the politics have favoured various teams in completely unfathomable and inconsistent ways over the past year, often contradicting themselves.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

adrianjordan

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 09:39
If I am seeing right, Red Bull has non existant brake ducts like McLaren. Definitely looks like McLaren and Red Bull share common concept at the front of the car.

We'll see how it looks after the front wheels.
We haven't seen the RB18 properly yet, only the FOM Show car painted in their livery yet. So any comparisons are impossible at this stage.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Mansell89
Mansell89

Looking forward to seeing how Pat Fry had interpreted things tomorrow over at Alpine versus the way James has seen things, given that James inherited Pats “Base” after Pat set the foundations for our recovery in 2019.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

adrianjordan wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:50
FittingMechanics wrote:
If I am seeing right, Red Bull has non existant brake ducts like McLaren. Definitely looks like McLaren and Red Bull share common concept at the front of the car.

We haven't seen the RB18 properly yet, only the FOM Show car painted in their livery yet. So any comparisons are impossible at this stage.
There was a clear picture of RB18 being loaded on a truck, showing pull rod front suspension like McLaren and showing almost no brakeducts like McLaren.

And no, this was no FIA show car.

McFAN
McFAN

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 00:50
adrianjordan wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:50
FittingMechanics wrote:

There was a clear picture of RB18 being loaded on a truck, showing pull rod front suspension like McLaren and showing almost no brakeducts like McLaren.

And no, this was no FIA show car.
Thats the one

_cerber1

It seems that McLaren has moved away from its signature orange color a little, towards a brightly saturated one. At night it will look good, but during the day it does not look very good.

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

_cerber1 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 07:44
It seems that McLaren has moved away from its signature orange color a little, towards a brightly saturated one. At night it will look good, but during the day it does not look very good.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMDmDSvXoAU ... ame=medium
I don't mind the new shade of orange :) Keep the photos coming! :)

Herr_Koos

So we finally get to see the real thing on track today, yes?