Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Red Bull RB18

Godius wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 10:31
Notice the outwash wake behind the front tires:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMdWj5FXsAg ... =4096x4096

(brake disc heat dissipation?)
Could be brake dust too - the brakes do generate a lot of dust on big braking applications.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vanja #66

After the F1-75 and W13 sidepods simulations, I did the RB18 as well. Sadly, due to a lack of frontal images showing more about the frontal beam-wing geometry, I didn't want to invest the time to simulate these as well. You can look the results and comparisons in detail here --> viewtopic.php?p=1038370#p1038370

In short, the design is very streamlined, low drag and conditions the rear tyre flow in some way. However, in my view it's aimed more at conditioning the flow between the rear tyre and diffuser wall, as even with my modelling this area has a very clean and fully attached airflow.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

OO7
OO7

Marko admits Red Bull struggling with weight of car: https://racingnews365.com/marko-admits- ... ght-of-car

Holm86

OO7 wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 12:56
Marko admits Red Bull struggling with weight of car: https://racingnews365.com/marko-admits- ... ght-of-car
Marko seemed to express hopes that the minumum weight limit may be increased. This previously happened in the build-up to the new rules coming into effect, with the original limit of 775kg later being raised to 795kg.

"There's another meeting today," Marko had said on the Friday of the recent pre-season test in Barcelona. "Let's see if there's not another increase coming."
I REALLY don't hope he has any luck in trying to persuade them into another increase, if the other teams can reach the target (McLaren and Alfa) so should RedBull be able to

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Holm86 wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 13:33
OO7 wrote:
Marko seemed to express hopes that the minumum weight limit may be increased. This previously happened in the build-up to the new rules coming into effect, with the original limit of 775kg later being raised to 795kg.

"There's another meeting today," Marko had said on the Friday of the recent pre-season test in Barcelona. "Let's see if there's not another increase coming."
I REALLY don't hope he has any luck in trying to persuade them into another increase, if the other teams can reach the target (McLaren and Alfa) so should RedBull be able to
Agreed. They are a top team with some of the best designers and facilities in motor racing. They should be able to do it.

What they're saying is "Some teams have made design choices that have resulted in them being heavier than others. We want those others to be made to run heavier so our design choices aren't penalised and we can be at the front again". They can make the car lighter but have chosen not to. That's their choice and their problem.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 14:36
Holm86 wrote:
OO7 wrote:

Agreed. They are a top team with some of the best designers and facilities in motor racing. They should be able to do it.

What they're saying is "Some teams have made design choices that have resulted in them being heavier than others. We want those others to be made to run heavier so our design choices aren't penalised and we can be at the front again". They can make the car lighter but have chosen not to. That's their choice and their problem.
I agree. Let them be sluggish if they can't engineer a solution to the minimum weight.

I'd be happy for a top 3 guard change for a year or 2 at this point...

AMG.Tzan

Zynerji wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 14:57
Just_a_fan wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

I agree. Let them be sluggish if they can't engineer a solution to the minimum weight.

I'd be happy for a top 3 guard change for a year or 2 at this point...
They're already quite fast it seems! No need to make them even faster...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
OO7 wrote:

Agreed here. It really is down to design choices, no point in crying over it now. No one's being forced to run boat-like car lengths.

Big Tea

The teams all had the information at hand before they began work on the car. I have little doubt they all knew to within a few gram what it was likely to come out at. The decisions would be between where to save the weight or the value of the extra weight v lost/gained laptime. They will just have to make these decisions now, as they no doubt knew the choices before committing. More so if it is true that one of the smallest teams have already hit the target.

For clarification of above, I do not only mean Red Bull I mean everyone
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SiLo

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 12:02
After the F1-75 and W13 sidepods simulations, I did the RB18 as well. Sadly, due to a lack of frontal images showing more about the frontal beam-wing geometry, I didn't want to invest the time to simulate these as well. You can look the results and comparisons in detail here --> viewtopic.php?p=1038370#p1038370

In short, the design is very streamlined, low drag and conditions the rear tyre flow in some way. However, in my view it's aimed more at conditioning the flow between the rear tyre and diffuser wall, as even with my modelling this area has a very clean and fully attached airflow.

https://i.ibb.co/FD3k4Wg/comp2-rb18-iso-details.jpg
Excellent work Vanja, thank you for doing this. Really interesting to see that flow between the rear tyre and diffuser. I assume they are doing their best to protect the flow from the diffuser in that area?
Felipe Baby!

Vanja #66

SiLo wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 16:28
Excellent work Vanja, thank you for doing this. Really interesting to see that flow between the rear tyre and diffuser. I assume they are doing their best to protect the flow from the diffuser in that area?
Thanks, SiLo! :)

I imagine every team is doing their best to assure optimal high-energy flow reaches this area, including Red Bull. These results look ok, however compared to F1-75 (especially) and W13 sidepods and flow conditioning they might look a lot better. This is a bit missleading, as I haven't tried to optimize neither of those two designs and RB18 design came out very very good right away.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

maxxer
maxxer

Vanja #66 wrote:

So what is the use of the lip on the intake doesnt look very clean whats happening in there ?

dren

maxxer wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 19:21
Vanja #66 wrote:

So what is the use of the lip on the intake doesnt look very clean whats happening in there ?
It's functioning as an intake in there.
Honda!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

maxxer wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

I'd guess the idea is just separate two sets of flow and help to sort the airflow to go around the sidepod. A bit of mess above probably isn't that important as it's all basically going to go through the radiators anyway.

Stu

maxxer wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Give Kyle Engineers YouTube a shot, he has a very interesting perspective on it.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.