2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 20:06
Just a side thought....is there any sponsors that Lewis might take with him or stop sponsoring Mercedes because Lewis isnt there?
Monster left a couple of months ago. Guess we know now why

Luscion
Luscion

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 20:06
Just a side thought....is there any sponsors that Lewis might take with him or stop sponsoring Mercedes because Lewis isnt there?
I know Rockstar Energy stopped sponsoring Merc last year but still sponsor Lewis, so that's the one I see him still having. I'd be surprised to see other sponsors leave with Lewis but who knows, never thought Lewis to Ferrari would ever happen but it did
Last edited by Luscion on 04 Feb 2024, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Tommy Hilfiger?

Venturiation
Venturiation

It's looking bad for Georges

DGP123
DGP123

Venturiation wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 20:54
It's looking bad for George
Things already were. The problem for George has always been, that he just isn’t good enough. Merc hyped him, but unfortunately he arrived late to the party at Merc, and has got bent over by an ageing Lewis. He isn’t quick enough, and I fear that Antonelli will likely come in and beat him too.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Agree about GR and don't think he's leveraged his own skills particularly well these last two year.

I'd view him in the optic I have of Massa....CAN be blisteringly fast in absolute pace....on occasion.

Fails to stay out of contentious situation while collecting as many points etc as possible. Needs high focus on consistency of performance to be WDC serious.

I could see a situation of having someone like Albon alongside from 2025, with performance conditions and options for a two year stint, while placating James Vowles Williams group etc with Antonelli for two years. Well looked after and if performance builds well, then both Mercedes seats up for grabs.

Would liven up the focus based on performance.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Farnborough wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 21:07
Agree about GR and don't think he's leveraged his own skills particularly well these last two year.

I'd view him in the optic I have of Massa....CAN be blisteringly fast in absolute pace....on occasion.

Fails to stay out of contentious situation while collecting as many points etc as possible. Needs high focus on consistency of performance to be WDC serious.

I could see a situation of having someone like Albon alongside from 2025, with performance conditions and options for a two year stint, while placating James Vowles Williams group etc with Antonelli for two years. Well looked after and if performance builds well, then both Mercedes seats up for grabs.

Mercedes wants antonelli to be their verstappen/hamilton and if he performs well he will drive for Mercedes in 2025
Georges career is over of he gets the outperformed by a rookie

organic

Venturiation wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 20:54
It's looking bad for Georges
https://twitter.com/FastestPitStop/stat ... 8706496862
Aggregator not providing direct quote from Mark Hughes lol. Anyway the original info from Mark Hughes was also not correct: None of the other F2 title contenders were at this test. So not sure why mark Hughes wrote "The F2 guys were all out testing F3 cars recently"

Also the F3 cars used at this test were all of wildly different specifications. Some teams running with gp3 cars / Frankenstein cars. Not to mention the difference in performance with the engines. You'd imagine Prema are one of the teams rich enough to give Antonelli the most recent spec car possible

The key is whether he'll be consistent enough, understand the F2 tyres, and not mistake prone wheel-to-wheel like he has been at times. His raw pace and his wet weather driving we have already seen is top class. It's the rest that's up in the air for whether or not he's ready to compete at the top in F2 yet

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Venturiation wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 21:10
Farnborough wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 21:07

Mercedes wants antonelli to be their verstappen/hamilton and if he performs well he will drive for Mercedes in 2025
Georges career is over of he gets the outperformed by a rookie
Why are we discussing the end of George's career already? Even as speculation that seems premature.

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Venturiation wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 00:14
The first comment in that twitter chain puts the claims into doubt. If Hamilton was wanting a longer contract, why would Daimler's main fear be Hamilton's sudden retirement at the end of '24. I don't think this tweet adds up.

Many of the comments under the tweet point out similar inconsistencies in the claims being made.

JPower
JPower

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 21:32

Why are we discussing the end of George's career already? Even as speculation that seems premature.
People love making up stories on the internet. Tale as old as time.

Luscion
Luscion

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 00:17
Venturiation wrote:
The first comment in that twitter chain puts the claims into doubt. If Hamilton was wanting a longer contract, why would Daimler's main fear be Hamilton's sudden retirement at the end of '24. I don't think this tweet adds up.
reading the article it seems they were worried that if the w15 couldn't get wins or fight for the championship Lewis wouldn't want to wait for the new regs and would just retire anyways so they didnt grant his request for a longer contract.They wanted an answer from Hamilton after testing at the end of February it seems
Last edited by Luscion on 05 Feb 2024, 00:27, edited 4 times in total.

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 00:17
Venturiation wrote:

Many of the comments under the tweet point out similar inconsistencies in the claims being made.
mercedes is trying to find an excuse for messing up

chrisc90

I really don’t think it would be contract length that’s made him jump ship. He’s always had short contracts?