Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
myurr
myurr

Re: Mercedes GP W02

xpensive wrote:RB and MS were known for running massively underweight while testing during their Ferrari days, all in order to get a psychological edge on the opposition. Word in the Valencia pitlane was that they were as much as 20 kg under the limit this time around, which should underline MGP's dire predicaments, as they were still 1.5 s behind Adrian Sutil's Force India.
Word is that Schumacher is made out of cheese and that Sutil likes to wear women's underwear. Do you have any kind of source that you could supply or did you just make that up and slap a 'word in the Valencia pitlane was...' at the beginning of that sentence.

Mandrake
Mandrake

myurr wrote:
xpensive wrote:RB and MS were known for running massively underweight while testing during their Ferrari days, all in order to get a psychological edge on the opposition. Word in the Valencia pitlane was that they were as much as 20 kg under the limit this time around, which should underline MGP's dire predicaments, as they were still 1.5 s behind Adrian Sutil's Force India.
Word is that Schumacher is made out of cheese and that Sutil likes to wear women's underwear. Do you have any kind of source that you could supply or did you just make that up and slap a 'word in the Valencia pitlane was...' at the beginning of that sentence.
The situation in the Ferrari days was a different one as well. MSC and Brawn had a car they knew it would be competing for the Championship, after last year they will surely be more careful to get it right. Playing around with an underweight car, just to "scare" the competition is definetly not what they should be doing

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Xpensive was just being Xpensive.

Injecting some scandinavian humour into the thread. No Mercedes werent running underweight, a 2010 Force India was 1.3 seconds quicker than the W02. That is not possible without Mercedes running a serious amount of fuel on board. :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

Raptor22
Raptor22

:lol:
shew, you had me going there till you mentioned FI... then I realised it was just a joke.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Alright, taking the laptimes from page 27 of this thread, I've got the following results. Note, the units are in good 'ol seconds.

Kubica---Schumacher
Standard deviation: 0.49---0.61
Mean: 76.97---76.53
Median: 76.83---76.40

What does this all mean? Probably nothing. Also note, I didn't take the first 1:20:xxx time of shumacher because that, I'm sure we all can agree, is not indicative.

ps, not the place, I know, but I wish all the best to Robert. Quoting his times just made me think of him.

Edit:
You know that feeling you get after you do something laborious and realise it's actually pretty pointless and you just shake your head and laugh it off... I just did that.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

xpensive
xpensive

And 20 kg xtra to that means what JET, an additional 0.6 s?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

xpensive wrote:And 20 kg xtra to that means what JET, an additional 0.6 s?
Depends, are these fake Xpensive kilos...or REAL KILOS :lol:
NewtonMeter wrote: Edit:
You know that feeling you get after you do something laborious and realise it's actually pretty pointless and you just shake your head and laugh it off... I just did that.
Was wondering where you were heading with it :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
NewtonMeter wrote: Edit:
Was wondering where you were heading with it :D
Me too... :lol: :oops:

luca
luca

Do you think Mercedes will bring some new aerodynamic component to this week's testing session or will they just keep assessing the reliability of the car?

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

luca wrote:Do you think Mercedes will bring some new aerodynamic component to this week's testing session or will they just keep assessing the reliability of the car?
Nope, same aero. IIRC Ross said that the second phase of the aerodynamic package will only make it's appearance at the third test. Maybe we will see one or two little things (some barge boards would be nice), but really not much.

My guess is, they will evaluate the reliability upgrades that will no doubt have been put in place since the last test. Then they will focus on kers/tyres/setup.

I'm thinking that they learned a very hard lesson last year when the W01 suddenly became competitive once again at season's end merely by fiddling with setup. So I do think (and hope) that they will pay more attention to this basic aspect of racing this time around.

Ferraripilot

With their current aero, I would wager 20-30kg is going to hamper them by a full second at Valencia.

Raptor22
Raptor22

yeah but those are Xpensive Kilo's. Xpensive never lets the facts get in the way of a good bashing.

raymondu999

Ferraripilot wrote:

With their current aero, I would wager 20-30kg is going to hamper them by a full second at Valencia.
Valencia is a very short track, so it'll affect them less. I don't see how you figure the 20-30kg to a second either though
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ferraripilot

Short, but very aero intensive track.

raymondu999

You must be thinking of Catalunya. Circuit Ricardo Tormo in Valencia is very non-aero, and that's why a lot of people say it's not good for testing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法