Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
munudeges
munudeges

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Names like Costa and Prodromou are being attached to mercedes and these are the names they need.

2 more names I would personally add in the next 2 years would be James Key and Kamui Kobayashi.
I think the problems with those names is that they probably won't want to go anywhere else unless they are going to be Technical Directors. Promodrou is head honcho of aerodynamics at Red Bull and can only go one way and I'm not sure what Mercedes can offer him that Red Bull can't. Costa's reputation is questionable and James Key is currently at a team that works in the way he wants. I don't know what Force India have because they seem to have survived having all their staff poached.

The one thing I would have done was with all the unrest at Ferrari I would have offered Nicholas Tombazis the position of Technical Director, because I don't know how he hasn't been promoted to that at Ferrari nor do I know where Pat Fry came from. I think you need a died-in-the-wool technical person who can't have the wool pulled over his eyes in that position.

Whatever way, it's going to cost money, but I'm still not sure about the management structure in that team.
So there are changes happening, and this is the bloodletting I think the team needs.
Long, long overdue. The Reynard/BAR/Honda legacy needs to be cut adrift.

Ferraripilot

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Some news regarding more staffing at mercedes gp.

I wonder also if the rumours circulating about prodromou are also true?

It would be nice to see if there is any traction to this rumor. Thus far only an Italian magazine has reported this, and we know some Italian magazines are not 100% reliable and can often be like supermarket tabloids.

I believe MB can offer more to Prodromou than RB can and here's why: Brawn has advised this is it for him. There could be some sort of director incentive for him to come on board and sort of be Brawn's eventual replacement. I don't see Newey or Horner leaving any time soon is my only reasoning.

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: ...
Names like Costa and Prodromou are being attached to mercedes and these are the names they need.

2 more names I would personally add in the next 2 years would be James Key and Kamui Kobayashi.
Right. And I've heard that Adrian Newey is dying to join this promising outfit with its lean and crystal-clear management.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP W02

That, if nothing else, should tell you who is really in charge of this team, or do you think Norbert is on that cell-phone just discuss fussball, mun? History tells us that German companies involved in Britain have very little faith in John Bull and friends.

marcush.
marcush.

Mercedes could perhaps try and bait him promising a cost no objective americas cup yacht or a spaceship to fly to the mars in half the time....

do they really need more decisionmakers and head of ..... they already are head heavy methinks.

you need only one guy who really is a good one to build a sensible car and you need a Newey /Byrne sort of guy to push the boundaries and extract all that is allowed -just- in the rulebook and then you need the bunch of experts who really follow the guru and pick up the thought process and make it their own in everything they do .this is not saying they would not challenge the decisions and there was no healthy discussion when it´s time to discuss .But at one point the concept is set and finalised and there is no reason to discuss because you are of course proving the process right coming home with the silverware.

It must be unbearable to fight for a concept get it into being built and then realise it´s not even third best....or it is and some factors prevent it from being successful....or what?

Sam michael resigned -my full respect for this ,but I would not have accepted this if I were Head but would have repositioned him if only not to have him working for a competitor.
Last edited by marcush. on 03 Aug 2011, 16:18, edited 2 times in total.

munudeges
munudeges

Ferraripilot wrote:I believe MB can offer more to Prodromou than RB can and here's why: Brawn has advised this is it for him. There could be some sort of director incentive for him to come on board and sort of be Brawn's eventual replacement. I don't see Newey or Horner leaving any time soon is my only reasoning.
There will be a Technical Director over Promodrou though in Bob Bell, and given his experience now I don't think someone like that would move unless he could take a step up the ladder in a technical position. There's no way an aerodynamacist like Promodrou will be considered for being Team Principal, nor would he want to do that.

It's a question of what Merc can offer the best people, and that's the tricky part.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Prodromou over Bigois is a bit of a no brainer. Look at RB6/7 and compare to W01/2, maybe prodromou could do even more at mercedes. Newey is a genius but am I not right in say prodromou's name is under the rb6 and 7? Newey guided no doubt.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Adamski

http://www3.mercedes-gp.com/en/#/category/recruitment/

Here are some position Prodromou and Costa would be try :lol:
Michael Schumacher: When you start out in a team, you have to get the teamwork going and then you get something back.

Ferraripilot

xpensive wrote:Right. And I've heard that Adrian Newey is dying to join this promising outfit with its lean and crystal-clear management.
[/quote]

Think of it more like going to Ferrari in the early 90s. It has nothing to do with the current quality of the team, but rather the name under which it operates from and what it would mean if the team were brought to domination. That's what MB is all about and that's why people will come to the team. Just watch. A front running MB is a much more powerful thing and has a lot more meaning than a front running beverage company.

Poorly managed? Bit of a stretch isn't it? Brawn has more titles to his name than anyone else and I might think twice about calling anything he runs poor, despite you believing he isn't running things, which is asinine by the way. The logistics behind such an accusation would be an investor or potential board member nightmare to explain. It would go something like this, "you mean to tell me you have the best director in F1 NOT running your team, but coming to your board for every minute decision"??????? This is peanuts for them and they want a winning F1 team and are going the distance to make it happen. The idea behind having a smaller F1 team was not MB's idea, it was Brawn's idea because HE believed it would work, but it did not and he has of course admitted so.

MB is economically smarter than you think. They dumped Chrysler very quickly and act as most German companies and do not make bets based on a hunch or a guess. They quickly cut bait normally but I know they won't considering the investment they put forth to date. This is business as usual and they knew very well what they were getting into before they took the jump. Suggesting MB bought a championship team from the get-go is almost as silly as Obama-nomics.
Last edited by Ferraripilot on 03 Aug 2011, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive
xpensive

Once again I have learned not to try irony on this forum! :lol:

What I was trying to say that recruiting is not just a smorgasbord of pick and choose.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ferraripilot

Don't bite 8)
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:Once again I have learned not to try irony on this forum! :lol:

What I was trying to say that recruiting is not just a smorgasbord of pick and choose.
:roll: :roll: I got that part of it but I have to admit to having failed to post a proper answer to it.. :oops:

xpensive
xpensive

I can't believe that everyone gets carried away by a typical summer-article in Autosprint, startng to speculate on who Mercedes will pick as Technical director? The article means sh*t and if even it didn't, the Technical director is already in Stuttgart.

Richard
Richard

X - care to name him?

Ferraripilot

richard_leeds wrote:X - care to name him?

It's the man behind the curtain (Wizard of Oz anyone?). The same fellow who designed the Porsche V12 F1 engine which was such a huge success. lol.