2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Willy
Willy

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Great job from McLaren to get the car to be that competitive. Nice drive from Lando.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Keeping pace with sainz, a bit faster than HAM and well clear of the rest.
Clearly the 3rd fastest car, not a bad weekend if say.

Emag
Emag

Overall a great result on what was the first real race on the new updated car on a weekend with limited practice.

It seems the deg is the main weakness at this point, especially against Aston it was quite noticable.

Hopefully the other half of the upgrades rectifies that problem.

Looking forward to Silverstone with the upgrade on both cars + the new wings which should work better together with the new package.

Sevach
Sevach

Great job turning this car around, and suppousedly more stuff to come.

geogate
geogate

another positive is that tyre deg didnt seem terrible compared to the competition - generally encouraging. Would like to see Piastri get a clean race soon

Swed3121
Swed3121

Race seems on or with quali pace - FINALLY
And deg wasn’t pad, kept up with sainz on hard for the last stint ( albeit with DRS)

Slahinki
Slahinki

Not bad at all. Beating the Alpines, Astons and Mercedes on merit, while not being utterly abandoned by the Ferraris. Red Bull is still a different league for now, though. Going to be good seeing this package on other tracks and in other conditions, and on both cars, to futher judge the impact the updates are having and to see the further updates. Would be a shame if it was just a fluke and it just works in Austria.

Onward to the next one!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The race result is great for the team, not only the points, but most importantly that the work behind the scenes is paying off… This will help with overall team motivation and hopefully helps them build momentum… Next weekend will be a very interesting one, not only because of the additional upgrades coming, but also because it could validate if they have indeed made a good step forward and that the result wasn’t track specific (but that’s a discussion for next week).

For now, let’s enjoy the good result, as fans we also needed something to celebrate :)

billamend
billamend

Biggest weakness against AM still tyre deg, according to Norris. A lot of things improved, a lot of things to improve still.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Oh! Finally! We have a decent race pace! I’m really happy and satisfied today. Very great driving from Lando! Nice job!

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

A bit polarized sight seeing Piastri dead last but I really hope the upgrade batch brings him closer to Lando. Lets see how they fare next races.

Swed3121
Swed3121

IntrinsicVoid wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:14
A bit polarized sight seeing Piastri dead last but I really hope the upgrade batch brings him closer to Lando. Lets see how they fare next races.
Not the biggest fan of PIA so far, but this weekend wasn’t really his fault, quali would have been P9 if not for track limits and stroll being stroll cost him a front wing change, and with the old package, overtaking isn’t really an option.

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

Swed3121 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:27
IntrinsicVoid wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:14
Not the biggest fan of PIA so far, but this weekend wasn’t really his fault, quali would have been P9 if not for track limits and stroll being stroll cost him a front wing change, and with the old package, overtaking isn’t really an option.
My point was in direction with the upgrades, but honestly I didn’t see how Piastri race progressed.

MrGapes

I felt the degradation was alright... yes Fernando was catching Lando at the end, but Lando was also pushing very hard in the last stint to stay in DRS of Sainz and then catch the DRS between Perez and Sainz. I do think we will fall back come Silverstone... but Its important to remember this package literally had 10-11 laps in FP1 before perc ferme, with additional wings incoming, still a lot to look forward to next race.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lando had his second warning towards the end, did he just coast it in to be safe and that's why Alonso was catching?