2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Space-heat
Space-heat

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Tomorrow is going to be a struggle.

One good thing is that Carlos seemed to be able to fight well with old softs. It seems like they are hard to overtake on the straights with the lower DF rear wing.

Xyz22
Xyz22

And this is why i laugh when people use qualifying results/gaps to make comparisons. This car,relatively to the competion, is usually 0.7-1s slower in the race.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

I honestly have no faith in the team's ability to solve this weakness. Ferrari have been weak in race trim for six years now.

organic

Vasseur apparently quite unhappy after the sprint. Tyre deg chart posted in race thread should indicate why. Choice of lower downforce was a risk and doesn't seem to pay off now that everyone else is running higher downforce.

Apparently to F1 official interview he then said they "struggled for different reasons" but will keep it to himself.... Maybe temperatures??

jambuka
jambuka

organic wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 01:15
Vasseur apparently quite unhappy after the sprint. Tyre deg chart posted in race thread should indicate why. Choice of lower downforce was a risk and doesn't seem to pay off now that everyone else is running higher downforce.

Apparently to F1 official interview he then said they "struggled for different reasons" but will keep it to himself.... Maybe temperatures??

That's good, he always seems happy. For once he is unhappy.

Sevach
Sevach

Man i'm not optimistic at all about the team solving all their issues for next year...

Xyz22
Xyz22

Sevach wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 01:26
Man i'm not optimistic at all about the team solving all their issues for next year...
No one will touch RB before 2026. They are in another league. The proof is Perez (a mediocre driver) performance in Baku when he was able to extract the full potential of the car. He finished over 20s ahead of the others.

Also the problem is not the setup. The problem is the car which is a disaster. No setup can save this piece of junk in real tracks with real corners.

dialtone
dialtone

If Vasseur is keeping it to himself, it's likely something dumb the team did. Watching the onboard, comms were minimal, had it been tire deg, temperatures or whatnot they would have talked about it.

My bet is something operational that the team did that is too embarrassing to talk about. SAI pace was fine on softs and even looking at LEC's tires they didn't look too worn out.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 01:31
If Vasseur is keeping it to himself, it's likely something dumb the team did. Watching the onboard, comms were minimal, had it been tire deg, temperatures or whatnot they would have talked about it.

My bet is something operational that the team did that is too embarrassing to talk about. SAI pace was fine on softs and even looking at LEC's tires they didn't look too worn out.
Leclerc did say in the post-sprint interview with Buxton and hinchtown that they struggled with tire deg.

Also, the thing Vasseur is upset about is the downforce level. Those high fuel runs tomorrow will have to be managed very carefully.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 22 Oct 2023, 01:42, edited 2 times in total.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

dialtone wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 01:31

Prob fuelled one of the cars for the race and not the sprint lmao

Jokes aside, driving such a car must be soul-destroying for a driver. Like in 4 out of 5 races all Sainz and Leclerc do is look in the rear mirror.

jambuka
jambuka

Something was definitely off with Leclerc. Sainz defended on softs against norris for multiple laps and even russel towards the end couldn't get past him. Leclerc was losing more than a second to norris on mediums last 2 laps.

organic

jambuka wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 02:10
Something was definitely off with Leclerc. Sainz defended on softs against norris for multiple laps and even russel towards the end couldn't get past him. Leclerc was losing more than a second to norris on mediums last 2 laps.
Underfueled car???

Xyz22
Xyz22

jambuka wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 02:10
Check the pace difference.

Leclerc actually tried to "push" (of course considering the limitations of this "car") and the tyres were absolutely cooked at the end.

Sainz managed the tyres very well knowing he was quicker in the straights, but he never pushed even in the first few laps.

Leclerc will have to manage even more tomorrow. In fact Marcos told him multiple times to increase tyre saving in specific corners. This car just destroys tyres.

Z-one
Z-one

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 16:36
Z-one wrote:
21 Oct 2023, 16:17
the question is that lec may be very uncomfortable with high fuel, because higher fuel is equal to a more backward centre of gravity(understeer)
Could you elaborate this?
ah,a bit complex. lol
the core of my reply is to make a analysis framework, which use aero dynamic and vehicle dynamic to analyze
the performance of car. however I have to admit my language and technical level cannot describe logic clearly even my logic may describe the fact what happened and predict the trend in the future. Sorry about that
The mankind’s courage and resolution will be witnessed and remembered by stars.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Somewhat strange comment by Duchessa because Ferrari ran sprint fuel loads during FP1 based on the race pace from FP1:
With 35 kg of fuel the degradation spoke in favor of Verstappen, then Hamilton and Norris.
Ferrari is more relaxed, it won't be easy to protect the rear but Leclerc and Sainz worked for tomorrow more than today