Lotus E22 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Lotus E22 Renault

aleks_ader wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
Any opinions on what the long silver box is in the sidepod?
1st most likely option:
Probably water-air intercooler? Just assumption. It make sense put it toward the ground for low CofG etc.

They probably decide to put one on just one side i dont see same config on picture the on right side...
Yeah, must be the water intercooler. Here you can see the water radiator too, which is very close to the intercooler.
So IMI the Lotus has its engine water rad in the right hand sidepod (+the ERS and/or the Gear-box rads?) and the oil and air water intercooler system in the left hans sidepod.
But what does tht big bulge infront of the exhaust contain :?:

patrik
patrik

garygph wrote:
Jef Patat wrote:
CottrellGP wrote:Hi all i don't browse the F1 section lots but i have some questions... it has probably been mentioned before, why is one of the tusks on the nose cone longer than the other
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lotus+tusk+nose

Exhaust question has been answered in this thread. Last question, I doubt it, it would be hard to evaluate airflow under cornering.
Is it possible that the different length tusks help to eliminate any vortex shedding from each tusk by having them close to each other but out of sync?
The tusks have been thoroughly discussed some 20 pages ago. They are a regulation thing.

jagunx51

E22 mysterious hole revealed (red arrow) .... to cool what?

it that from wastegate ? (yellow arrow)
............!!!!

Blackout

To help the intercooler maybe ? (like RBR in Jerez)

Exhaust collector(s) look strange to me too. The E22 seems to have two of them, is the main one hidden and feeds the turbine (?) while the other one blows directly after the turbine :?:
The wastegate is placed above the turbine in the other 3 Renault cars and it has a smaller pipe AFAIR.

basti313
basti313

Blackout wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote: Any opinions on what the long silver box is in the sidepod?
1st most likely option:
Probably water-air intercooler? Just assumption. It make sense put it toward the ground for low CofG etc.

They probably decide to put one on just one side i dont see same config on picture the on right side...
Yeah, must be the water intercooler. Here you can see the water radiator too, which is very close to the intercooler.
So IMI the Lotus has its engine water rad in the right hand sidepod (+the ERS and/or the Gear-box rads?) and the oil and air water intercooler system in the left hans sidepod.
But what does tht big bulge infront of the exhaust contain :?:
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.ph ... u=14795526
Crazy solution...
The lower aluminium tube with the flat surface which you can see through the hole is the charge air part of the intercooler. You can see the charge air tube below the exhaust. The water intercooler has a completely different setup than a water intercooler in common sense...just fast running water for thermal contact to divide the intercooler in two parts to help packing.

The valve in the hole looks like a solution for venting (refilling?) the water system of the intercooler (same valve on top of the charge air part). But the hole is too big...this is not solely for this. In the McLaren a similar hole is clearly for battery cooling.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Blackout

Yes.
The charge air pipe is visible (under the exahusts as you say) so what is that big bulge (above the itercooler) for?
Here the engine. You can see the MGU's 'cables'

Morteza

Formula1.com
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

basti313
basti313

Blackout wrote:Yes.
The charge air pipe is visible (under the exahusts as you say) so what is that big bulge (above the itercooler) for?
Here the engine. You can see the MGU's 'cables'
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ar/549.jpg
The big carbon tube at the front of the engine, left of the orange cable guide is part of the intake manifold. On its top you can see a 90° turn with the rest of the intake manifold not mounted yet. On its bottom there is only a small tube, for me much too small to feed a engine at 15000rpm. I think the black tube is open on the side we can not see and that they attach the big bulge we can see next to the exhaust there.

My idea of guiding the air:
On the exhaust side of the engine you can also see a carbon piece, this is where the air goes into the turbo charger. From there it goes into the black tube you can see below the heat insulation of the exhaust and into the intercooler. It leaves the intercooler in direction of the big bulge and goes into the carbon tube in front of the engine.

Morteza wrote:http://i.imgur.com/kQ0XYvm.png

Formula1.com
I don't believe that at all. There are no cooling fins on the intercooler and the radiator of the intercooler is too far away. The amount of cooling of a flat aluminium plate is just not worth cutting such a hole without doing anything to the surface.

zonk
zonk

The big carbon tube at the front of the engine, left of the orange cable guide is part of the intake manifold
You are wrong. It's a oil tank

basti313
basti313

zonk wrote:
The big carbon tube at the front of the engine, left of the orange cable guide is part of the intake manifold
You are wrong. It's a oil tank
Ok, that fits to the tube at its bottom, that looked strange to me. Thanks for the explanation.
And it manifests my theory, that the "big bulge" is the charge air guide from the intercooler cause there is no other room for it.

iotar__

Eurosport.fr: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... tory.shtml

R.G. interview, info about car issues, Renault, resources; auto translation surprisingly understandable (hopefully ;-)). Some improvements: tyres, breaking. About first session problems (mapping, software(?)):
"Finally, in the morning, we had a problem with Renault, they had brought a change that did not work at all. So we have virtually no shot during the first free practice session"
"This morning, while I never had any problems with the driveability, I do not understand why they wanted me to test their new system, which was logically supposed to improve the 'driveability'. In the end, we lost a session for anything while we were complete 30 laps"

godlameroso

Any reports as to what caused Grosjean's gearbox malfunction? I really hope they get the car running properly by Bahrain, from the little I've seen they have the potential for a monster car.
Saishū kōnā

AnthonyG

godlameroso wrote:Any reports as to what caused Grosjean's gearbox malfunction? I really hope they get the car running properly by Bahrain, from the little I've seen they have the potential for a monster car.
Source: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3083 ... ant-to-be/
This morning we couldn't do any laps, and this afternoon we burnt a cable which stopped the gearbox from working.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

ringo

This car is air to air intercooled.
The big box on the ground may be for electronics or battery cooling.
It defeats the purpose if it's so far away from the turbo' if it were a water intercooler.
That pipe going to the exhaust is from the relocated waste gate.
The car may have two of them now possibly,

I would like to know why this car's reliability is so poor. I think they had enough time to sort out their car, unless they are trying something very unconventional.
For Sure!!

Lycoming
Lycoming

ringo wrote: I would like to know why this car's reliability is so poor. I think they had enough time to sort out their car
Did they have enough time? they missed a lot of pre-season tests and didn't do that much mileage in the ones they attended.