McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: McLaren MCL33

Via AMuS

Via @F1debrief
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sieper

Hmm, so next to the 3 cooling slits yesterday now also a extra intake hood to guide more air in (looks all like a temporary fix) but still problems with heat:

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/sta ... 1162764289

mclaren111

Sieper wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 12:44
Hmm, so next to the 3 cooling slits yesterday now also a extra intake hood to guide more air in (looks all like a temporary fix) but still problems with heat:

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/sta ... 1162764289

Oil leak !!

Edit: Don't know where though.

gandharva

adrianjordan

If we assume that cooling is the problem, which it may or may not be at this point, but it's a distinct possibility. How difficult is it to revamp the PU cooling?

I assume it's more complex than just opting for a larger air intake above the cockpit? Could we see them adding additional air intakes on the engine cover as Renault and Ferrari amongst others have done in the past?

More direct question, can they make the changes by Australia?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

adrianjordan wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 17:46
If we assume that cooling is the problem, which it may or may not be at this point, but it's a distinct possibility. How difficult is it to revamp the PU cooling?

I assume it's more complex than just opting for a larger air intake above the cockpit? Could we see them adding additional air intakes on the engine cover as Renault and Ferrari amongst others have done in the past?

It’s my understanding that the roll hoop is an integral part of the tub. Making that larger is a massive job, literally back to the drawing board and no way that gets done before Australia. Does anyone have any images of ‘naked’ tubs so we can see if this is true?

Blackout

@adrianjordan RBR managed to do that in 2014.

TankMarvin
TankMarvin

I guess they could do somethings similar to Sauber - not the blade, but set additional openings further back so they don't require a change to the roll hoop ?

Assuming they actually need additional/larger openings...

Big Tea

Would it not depend on which part is over heating? It could vary from using a larger bore pipe to provide more flow to a single 'section' to something as simple as Mclaren have done and let a little air fall on it.

I assume the problem would be if it shared a cooling supply with something that did not need anymore coolant, or if the excess heat was caused by flow from another component bringing too much heat to that part???

Anyone know what is behind that section of bodywork? The early marks looked more like gas blown onto the area rather than heat behind the panel. Ties in with the report it was an exhaust clamp.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle

bonjon1979 wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 17:53
adrianjordan wrote:

It’s my understanding that the roll hoop is an integral part of the tub. Making that larger is a massive job, literally back to the drawing board and no way that gets done before Australia. Does anyone have any images of ‘naked’ tubs so we can see if this is true?
Any fix, if necessary, is most likely to be less efficient when it's a late call fix. But there are not too bad ways to do it. Mercedes expanded their cooling during the '14 season with "ears" and Lotus had also a few appendixes around that area. The question is more, what and how is/are they lacking cooling. Is it just circulation at the turbo or do they need an extra oil or water cooler? During the '15 season McLaren themselves already tried a couple of solutions and they were one of the first to fully develop the roll hoop as cooling.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It probably doesn't need any bigger intakes if it's just a stagnant spot - a rework of heatshielding, a little insulating foil or perhaps just widening the cover by a couple of mm there will sort it. It's not a fundamental power unit overheating issue - they've already confirmed along with renault that they've actually got a little too much cooling capacity in the car in terms of airflow/radiators/water capacity.

f1rules
f1rules

Exactly they can just add ears like they did in the past, and just like ferrari and merc did before. They can make a very slim solution as they dont need to feed radioters they just need to get some flow throughvthe engine cover to get rid of the heat pocket, offcourse its not the best solution to Add after, but seeing how slim the intake is i think they have some to play with before even get close to the other fat ass solutions
But yes my quess is some duct rerouting will be enough maybe slightly higher or wider cover will do the trick

adrianjordan

bonjon1979 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

I thought some teams have the roll hoop inside the airbox intake??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

makecry
makecry

PhillipM wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 20:36
It probably doesn't need any bigger intakes if it's just a stagnant spot - a rework of heatshielding, a little insulating foil or perhaps just widening the cover by a couple of mm there will sort it. It's not a fundamental power unit overheating issue - they've already confirmed along with renault that they've actually got a little too much cooling capacity in the car in terms of airflow/radiators/water capacity.
Eric did say it's a heat pocket. I dont think overheating seems to be a huge issue. The issues seem to be me more of race operations side of problems than actual fundamental issues with the car. The oil leak most likely was a human error, Eric said hydraulic problem was due to part fatigue. Yesterday it was Renault's batteries that crapped out.

Losing time is not a good thing but it might not be as bad as it looks.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

adrianjordan wrote:
07 Mar 2018, 22:13
bonjon1979 wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

I thought some teams have the roll hoop inside the airbox intake??
No, it’s part of the monocoque structure

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/chassis.html