Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Poleman

Re: Lotus 2010 Car

timbo wrote:
zgred wrote:Image
This looks funny)))
Like this --
LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

djones
djones

Speaking of changing colours for the camera and related to lotus...

Apprently their old ones with gold leaf on were actually a shade of pink or something silly in real life (the gold bits).

horse

Mike Gascoyne on autosport wrote: We didn't have power steering on so when it dried out the steering loads were just too heavy to really drive effectively.

Q. Fairuz [Fauzy] says he can't feel his arms now.

MG: Yes, it's slightly perverse that on your first day of proper testing you're hoping for it to stay wet. It's the first time I've ever heard over the radio a driver say 'thank God it's raining'. The power steering is on its way out, it was meant to be here yesterday but due to some supplier issues we didn't have it fitted.
Wow, 76 laps with no-power steering, whilst matching the Virgin for pace. Mike might be right, perhaps they are top of the F1-B tree?

In addition:
Mike Gascoyne on autosport wrote:There's a lot of development. We've got new aero bits on for tomorrow.
So, possibly a less yesteryear engine cover tomorrow then?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Raptor22
Raptor22

I've looked at the pictures of the Lotus and I'm convinced that their bodywork is only interim. MG talks of ongoing development but what I think has happened is that due to the short lead time available they have simply used the wind tunnel model to produce moulds so they could have a car to actually run at the pre-season tests. I'm sure they will have tighter body work come April / May.

The sidepods certainly are as simple as they come.

Overall, its a neat little package. I guess this car, in context, is MG's best work yet.

Callum

To put it all in perspective, they have done better than USF1 and Manor because they have a car on the track!

It's a shame when people keep bashing it because it looks more boxy than other cars...but give them a chance.

Pandamasque

Lotus seem by far the most successful new team so far.

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Pandamasque wrote:Lotus seem by far the most successful new team so far.
No quite sure how you can say that, Virgin have had teething problems but Lotus arn't necessarily faster than them.

Lotus may have caused more of a coup but I'd say they're on par with Virgin, neither are more successful, lets wait till the racing before we pass that judgement.

Pandamasque

Their car seems a bit faster out of the box (with Fauzy at the wheel FFS...) and it seems to work while Virgin struggled with reliability so much that most of the early testing time went down the drain. And other new teams don't even look like they're going to make it to Bahrain. So yeah, at the moment Lotus seem to be quite far ahead.

nipo
nipo

I second the view that Lotus seems to look best. Virgin came out first, yes, but they only had one day when they did over 20 laps, and Lotus managed 70+ on their first day. Plus I really doubt CFD's power in doing ALL the aero dev work - I am sure the big established teams have had all the luxury they wanted with supercomputers, yet they still relied heavily on 24/7 wind tunnel testing to verify their designs before putting things on track for testing. Technology today doesn't seem to be enough to replace physical means of simulation yet.

From Tony's and Mike's comments I think they are taking a very sensible and professional approach, i.e. taking things step-by-step, being realistic, and meeting deadlines. They seem to know what they are doing. I am not saying we won't see any funny teething issues from this team, but so far I like their attitude the most. My vote is with them to be the most consistent new team to have a fair chance at catching up with the established teams on the grid over the course of this season.

LotusF1
LotusF1

And most of you Guys bashed the team before anything was shown...nice car, Im sure it isnt the final version (aero wise...)

zoic
zoic

Lotus seem to be having some HEAT issues :shock:

http://www.f1today.nl/foto/7826/

Not just glowing exhaust, skip a few photos and you can see flames out the back.

horse

zoic wrote:Lotus seem to be having some HEAT issues :shock:

http://www.f1today.nl/foto/7826/

Not just glowing exhaust, skip a few photos and you can see flames out the back.

Yes, I think it was on fire. Oops. Possible oil leak?

It couldn't have been too bad as it was out and running again immediately.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

marcush.
marcush.

so ...second day of running and they have problems.Nothing new when putting the thing on track to unearth problems as you go along...would be rather a big issue if you already had trouble when you not even have started to push..

Pandamasque

That's what happens when you put a 'hot' Finn in the car! :)
LotusF1 wrote:
And most of you Guys bashed the team before anything was shown...nice car, Im sure it isnt the final version (aero wise...)
I don't remember anyone bashing the team because of the car. We've heard of at least 2 Lotuses, 1 Brabham and 1 March during the 2009. And I still don't like the idea of new teams trying to take legendary names to get some instant following and sponsorship.
That doesn't make them unable to design and build a car.

ringo

:lol:

We spoke to soon about Virgin, Lotus have problems of their own.
How did they manage to do that with such an aired out sidepod design, oil leak for sure.

Look on the outlet near the control arm, why did they seal it like that?
Why not take of that ridge and let the thing flow!! :mrgreen: Hot air must be choked up in it. :lol:
For Sure!!