2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

https://www.racefans.net/2023/07/05/alp ... ade-brown/
McLaren’s chief executive officer Zak Brown says Alpine is “definitely beatable” based on his team’s performance in last weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix.
Zak's definitely not taking the conservative line when it comes to these upgrades :D

mwillems

Mostlyeels wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 21:14
BMMR61 wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 14:12
Isn’t the reason or excuse for Piastri not running updates a handy reference point? Deliberate or convenient? I’m sure Oscar would have been happy to play along for the sake of the long game, though after the crappy weekend he had in Austria that might fade.
Just production constraints due to bringing the first upgrade forward I seem to remember. Did work OK well for comparing the two though.
Yes it will be interesting to see Silverstone Spec vs Austria Spec. I'm not concerned at all about the delays, they are pushing everything to the limit. I guess it depends on everyone's perspective, but I'm not too fussed about the final standings. Given the choice between starting slowly but bringing a car that is joint 3rd fastest by the end of the year and finishing 5th, or having consistently the 4th fastest car this year and finishing 4th, then I'll take the former.

When the new composites facility comes online this should become faster and cheaper, so the days of strong upgrades through the seasons may be back, I hope.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

PikeStance

For fun, I created an concept car with Chrome and Papaya in mind. (EA F1 2023 Game)

<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 22:41
When the new composites facility comes online this should become faster and cheaper, so the days of strong upgrades through the seasons may be back, I hope.
Yeah, this, much like the wind tunnel, will make things more cost effective (and faster to iterate). Seems like a good win.

PikeStance

mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 22:41
Mostlyeels wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 21:14
BMMR61 wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 14:12
Isn’t the reason or excuse for Piastri not running updates a handy reference point? Deliberate or convenient? I’m sure Oscar would have been happy to play along for the sake of the long game, though after the crappy weekend he had in Austria that might fade.
Just production constraints due to bringing the first upgrade forward I seem to remember. Did work OK well for comparing the two though.
Yes it will be interesting to see Silverstone Spec vs Austria Spec. I'm not concerned at all about the delays, they are pushing everything to the limit. I guess it depends on everyone's perspective, but I'm not too fussed about the final standings. Given the choice between starting slowly but bringing a car that is joint 3rd fastest by the end of the year and finishing 5th, or having consistently the 4th fastest car this year and finishing 4th, then I'll take the former.

Yes, I agree. Once the car was revealed to be less than ideal and that changes in design approach was necessary, the standings became unimportant. It is now all about how the new approach pans out moving forward to 2024. I also am not concerned with the speed in which they bring in new parts. They will come when they come.
<-Pike----
Expat American in Guangzhou
Native New Orleans

BMMR61

I hadn’t heard the story on a new composites facility. When is that due as that could be pretty significant? On the management and engineering team, I think Stella as an engineer than Seidl who was more non-engineering management background, unless I’m mistaken, provided a better way out of an engineering quagmire. We can now clearly see that Key was a misstep as already the direction has upticked from March and the diabolical MCL60 as it was. I think it’s fair to now unofficially dub the post Canada car the MCL60B! With minimal time to setup the new car prior to racing it’s shown to be a much better car. The timing of incremental new parts across three weekends could also be a master strategy with Oscar playing the “control” car role. Nevertheless it’s hard to imagine that as with the fortunes of AM, Mercedes, and Ferrari, there will be big fluctuations in relative speed. Silverstone will provide greater clues as to progress on a very different circuit to Austria. Do we have the pace to fight in this group every time?

MrGapes

BMMR61 wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 06:02
I hadn’t heard the story on a new composites facility. When is that due as that could be pretty significant? On the management and engineering team, I think Stella as an engineer than Seidl who was more non-engineering management background, unless I’m mistaken, provided a better way out of an engineering quagmire. We can now clearly see that Key was a misstep as already the direction has upticked from March and the diabolical MCL60 as it was. I think it’s fair to now unofficially dub the post Canada car the MCL60B! With minimal time to setup the new car prior to racing it’s shown to be a much better car. The timing of incremental new parts across three weekends could also be a master strategy with Oscar playing the “control” car role. Nevertheless it’s hard to imagine that as with the fortunes of AM, Mercedes, and Ferrari, there will be big fluctuations in relative speed. Silverstone will provide greater clues as to progress on a very different circuit to Austria. Do we have the pace to fight in this group every time?
The old unit in Woking where they stored and maintained historical Mclarens will be shifted to the MTC, the unit will turn into a new manufacturing facility. They said a few months so I’d assume some time before the end of this year.

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

Brown specifically said that 2025 is the year without any excuses. Because 2024 car will be made 50% - 50 % between the new and old wind tunnel and also the personnel recruitment will not take place until January after their gardening leave . Also the simulator ,Wind Tunnel and new Composite machinery and site will finish by the end of the year. So the targets are 5th this year. Podiums and maybe an occasional win 2024. Championship 2025. Major concerned about 2026 with new chassis and active aero. Maybe we should concentrate to new reg of 2026

CjC
CjC

I’ll be very surprised if they are within championship contention in ‘25.
Looking early at the new ‘26 regs might be a good idea though
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

PikeStance wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 05:43
For fun, I created an concept car with Chrome and Papaya in mind. (EA F1 2023 Game)

https://i.postimg.cc/JhnLv4v0/Mc-Laren- ... -front.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/5tRVVWW3/Mc-Laren-Concept-side.jpg
That looks great, the Papaya is more toned down there as well, not quite as vibrant, which helps it work better.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

For the first time in the history of Mclaren we have the Schumacher name donning our colours and using our cars.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

McLaren use Canadian-Austrian rear wing

mclaren111

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 13:51
For the first time in the history of Mclaren we have the Schumacher name donning our colours and using our cars.

Though this one is terrible... :mrgreen:

CjC
CjC

It’s the second time I’ve seen Lando do this for children at the race weekends.

Lando conducts himself so well, he often says F1 wouldn’t be what it is without the fans and he shows his appreciation for the fans when we see clips like this.
Bravo Lando👍🏻

That kid and his dad especially will be ecstatic with that!
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

Mostlyeels wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 23:19
Ben1980 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:51
Lando had his second warning towards the end, did he just coast it in to be safe and that's why Alonso was catching?
I think so. Both Lando and Sainz started to lap slower with about 10 laps to go. I figured the teams said "you can't be caught, so just bring the car home safely". I think the tyres were on about 25+ and Sainz had pushed defending against Perez.
Lando was trying to close on Sainz, in case there was a penalty.