2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2023 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 15 -17

FW17 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 13:01
basti313 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 11:29
FW17 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 04:56
Main straight drs is useless, they should have had the third drs right after the second one on the new section.

I also never understood the 7, 8 and 9 section, any reason why they do not go little further from 7 to around the park?
Too small...the section behind turn 7 looks small, but actually this is a broad 2 lane road. When you walk on the track it seems huge, on the other hand the section behind the park is very small, would need a lot of rework. They also need the space for the safety zone after turn 7 which extends far and is a safety exit and need to limit the speed into turn 10 where there is no space.
Furthermore there is a mall behind the park, so if they would extend they would not have space behind the memorial for a grandstand.
I have been on this grandstand in the year Vettel had his last win....I think this was 2019. I think the area and track is just great in this location as you can go very close to the track. Between turn 8 and 9 you can take pictures directly at the fence, the cars are 5m away from you.

I think the change is great for this year. I never understood the marina section and I think it broke the flow on the circuit. It was always just a reason for safety cars....I do not remember a nice move there into the grandstand.
But...although I do not like the float...I wonder how they deal with loosing so much grandstand...tickets should be strongly limited.
Road if front of the mall is a 4 lane carriagway, which is 15m wide.
Around the memorial park would give much better viewing of turn 7 from the park grand stand.

The fast right left that would be at where turn 9 is located could be made slower to accommodate the lack of runoff at 10.

Anyway chicane are no improvements to 90 degree corners, only improvement would be for the longest straight (not very long) to be longer by 150m, making overtaking more promising.
It's wide enough, but then they would need some way to get the fans inside the track, would have to build a bridge somewhere.
Felipe Baby!

organic

SiLo

now they have added this new straight in, are they not able to use the grandstand that's permanent there for the float? Has it reduced available seats and tickets for the grand prix?
Felipe Baby!

organic

McLaren, alpine are both bringing sidepod upgrade packages. Alfa Romeo brings a floor

Alfa:
"important new package in Singapore , which has required a lot of effort from the team at home in recent months”
Alpha
According to rumors, the AT04 will completely change its face to get closer to the concept of its sister car
https://formu1a.uno/anteprima-gp-singap ... ha-e-alfa/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RB did the rear wing thing.

FW17

SiLo wrote:
14 Sep 2023, 10:37
FW17 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 13:01
basti313 wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 11:29

Too small...the section behind turn 7 looks small, but actually this is a broad 2 lane road. When you walk on the track it seems huge, on the other hand the section behind the park is very small, would need a lot of rework. They also need the space for the safety zone after turn 7 which extends far and is a safety exit and need to limit the speed into turn 10 where there is no space.
Furthermore there is a mall behind the park, so if they would extend they would not have space behind the memorial for a grandstand.
I have been on this grandstand in the year Vettel had his last win....I think this was 2019. I think the area and track is just great in this location as you can go very close to the track. Between turn 8 and 9 you can take pictures directly at the fence, the cars are 5m away from you.

I think the change is great for this year. I never understood the marina section and I think it broke the flow on the circuit. It was always just a reason for safety cars....I do not remember a nice move there into the grandstand.
But...although I do not like the float...I wonder how they deal with loosing so much grandstand...tickets should be strongly limited.
Road if front of the mall is a 4 lane carriagway, which is 15m wide.
Around the memorial park would give much better viewing of turn 7 from the park grand stand.

The fast right left that would be at where turn 9 is located could be made slower to accommodate the lack of runoff at 10.

Anyway chicane are no improvements to 90 degree corners, only improvement would be for the longest straight (not very long) to be longer by 150m, making overtaking more promising.
It's wide enough, but then they would need some way to get the fans inside the track, would have to build a bridge somewhere.

There is a subway in the corner

There is bridge across raffles boulevard

They can walk across the road to the cricket club, which already had many accesses to Padang and Connaught grandstands

Chuckjr

organic wrote:
14 Sep 2023, 10:39
Man! That RB side pod opening is outstanding. Absolutely gorgeous. =D> Their aero department seems to operate at such a higher level than every other team...and consistently so. Their updates usually work. They don’t seem to suffer capsizing correlation issues like other teams seem to always be suffering from in one way or another. Their race strategy is often right at the best of the field IF their drivers can perform (Checo *cough*cough* Checo). Their team members in the pits are often the same lead guys year after year so it must be a great organization to work for. Hats off to Christian Horner. One hell of a team he’s assembled. =D>
Watching F1 since 1986.

TFSA

Juzh wrote:Unless they put another DRS zone there it wont make a difference.
It will.

I think people misunderstand overtaking (unlike the drivers, who get it, which is why the drivers agree that it will make a difference). It's not necessarily about overtaking on the new straight, which is definitely still possible, but rather about setting up to overtake on the main straight.

With the new layout, it's likely that a car can follow closer into the main straight without losing time to the car ahead, because the amount of corners leading up to it are drastically reduced.

In addition, tire degradation matters. Once of the things we saw last year at Marina Bay was Leclerc being up Perez rear, but then his tires dropping off, and he lost pace. This is partially due to sliding following another car in the corners - you can only be right behind someone for a limited amount of time before the deg will get to you. This should be better with the new layout.

On the other hand, we do have the increased dirty air compared to 22, so I'm not necessarily expecting overtaking to be easier than last year. But it at least shouldn't be worse.

Finally, the new layout will make the track more rear limited.

Cs98
Cs98

TFSA wrote:
14 Sep 2023, 19:15
It will.

I think people misunderstand overtaking (unlike the drivers, who get it, which is why the drivers agree that it will make a difference). It's not necessarily about overtaking on the new straight, which is definitely still possible, but rather about setting up to overtake on the main straight.

With the new layout, it's likely that a car can follow closer into the main straight without losing time to the car ahead, because the amount of corners leading up to it are drastically reduced.

In addition, tire degradation matters. Once of the things we saw last year at Marina Bay was Leclerc being up Perez rear, but then his tires dropping off, and he lost pace. This is partially due to sliding following another car in the corners - you can only be right behind someone for a limited amount of time before the deg will get to you. This should be better with the new layout.

On the other hand, we do have the increased dirty air compared to 22, so I'm not necessarily expecting overtaking to be easier than last year. But it at least shouldn't be worse.

Yup. The section of corners that was removed was an absolute overtake killer. Cars would often come into that section relatively close from the bridge DRS zone, but then the gap opens up because it's so narrow and single file.

Now they can attack or stay close at the end of the DRS straight, and then keep close down the new straight, potentially even attack if the car ahead gets a bad exit out of turn 14.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
14 Sep 2023, 11:24
According to rumors, the AT04 will completely change its face to get closer to the concept of its sister car
I'm not sure the AT04 looks any closer now?

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 05:30
organic wrote:
14 Sep 2023, 11:24
I'm not sure the AT04 looks any closer now?
Agreed :D :lol: I suspect they have maximized the undercut as much as possible but there's architecture that can't be moved. They have sucked in the rear part of the sidepod ramp like Mercedes who are also limited by current cooling architecture.. So I think it's just the best you can do with a bad hand.

haza
haza

https://x.com/formula_nerds/status/1702 ... CA5OmEDv0w

Damn McLaren you got enough upgrades? 😂

Wouter

haza wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 09:35
https://x.com/formula_nerds/status/1702 ... CA5OmEDv0w

The Power of Dreams!

organic

haza wrote:
15 Sep 2023, 09:35

Fyi the x.com links don't embed yet (another thing broken by the infantile change to the name..)

Just change X to twitter and the embed will work, as above

Juzh

TFSA wrote:
Cs98 wrote:
14 Sep 2023, 21:26
TFSA wrote:
It will.

Yup. The section of corners that was removed was an absolute overtake killer. Cars would often come into that section relatively close from the bridge DRS zone, but then the gap opens up because it's so narrow and single file.

Now they can attack or stay close at the end of the DRS straight, and then keep close down the new straight, potentially even attack if the car ahead gets a bad exit out of turn 14.
Well, you are both very optimistic, me not so much. You need to be at less than 2 tenths going into start finish straight to attempt any kind of overtake into T1, and those last 2 corners that remain will still make sure to space out the cars to this distance or more. I agree it will be without a doubt better than before but overall impact will not be significant. If we had DRS there then this would become entirely different track as you could actually pass someone who's not a second or more slower.

We even got a reason why there's no DRS there. Supposedly it's because of the very slight kink in the middle of straight making it unsafe #-o . Spineless FIA showing itself again and again. It looks like they forgot there's a kink on main DRS zone already on this track (and at higher speed), and also forgot about DRS in zandvoort. In worst case they could place DRS zone after the kink as proposed by Bottas, still better than nothing. Personally I think FIA is just lazy about implementing it on a tight street track, zero flexibility on their part.