2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
thestig84
thestig84

Re: 2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 15:45
cplchanb wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 15:12
Wouter wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 14:47
It seems everything is still good between these two friends. =D>

Inb4 they collide again.
Lando is always going to lose out to Max if he's more worried about their friendship than the win. It's great that they're friends but I would bet that Max, like Michael, Ayrton, Fernando, Lewis, etc., would sell Lando down the river in an instant to take the win. If Lando can't, then he won't beat Max.

Lewis and Nico showed what happens when two friends both really, really, want to win. The friendship doesn't survive.
I can recommend listening to the latest Beyond The Grid Lando Norris podcast. He makes it very clear he doesn't put the "friendship" (he clarifies they aren't that friendly, it's mostly media exaggeration) above winning. It's a very interesting insight to Norris thought process and how focused on winning he is.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

thestig84 wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 16:16
Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 15:45
cplchanb wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 15:12

Inb4 they collide again.
Lando is always going to lose out to Max if he's more worried about their friendship than the win. It's great that they're friends but I would bet that Max, like Michael, Ayrton, Fernando, Lewis, etc., would sell Lando down the river in an instant to take the win. If Lando can't, then he won't beat Max.

Lewis and Nico showed what happens when two friends both really, really, want to win. The friendship doesn't survive.
I can recommend listening to the latest Beyond The Grid Lando Norris podcast. He makes it very clear he doesn't put the "friendship" (he clarifies they aren't that friendly, it's mostly media exaggeration) above winning. It's a very interesting insight to Norris thought process and how focused on winning he is.
Cool. I'll have to look it up. Hopefully he means it or he's going to get walked on.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Lewis refusing to be drawn in to the attempted media hype:

You can almost hear the interviewer pleading "but we need a story, say something!!!!" :lol: :lol: =D>
Last edited by Just_a_fan on 04 Jul 2024, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

balex wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 15:36
Wouter wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 15:28
balex wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 15:20
The obsession with the nature/status of their relationship is weird/creepy/sad.
Why? Could you perhaps explain that? What do you mean?
I’d suggest a google for “parasocial relationships”. They’ve gotten particularly out-of-hand in the social media age.
I didn't ask Google, I asked you. I know what “parasocial relationships” are.
Lando and Max are real friends for a long time now and that has nothing to do with “parasocial relationships”.
So I still don't know what you are talking about: "The obsession with the nature/status of their relationship is weird/creepy/sad."
The Power of Dreams!

balex
balex

Wouter wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 16:36
balex wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 15:36
Wouter wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 15:28

Why? Could you perhaps explain that? What do you mean?
I’d suggest a google for “parasocial relationships”. They’ve gotten particularly out-of-hand in the social media age.
I didn't ask Google, I asked you. I know what “parasocial relationships” are.
Lando and Max are real friends for a long time now and that has nothing to do with “parasocial relationships”.
So I still don't know what you are talking about: "The obsession with the nature/status of their relationship is weird/creepy/sad."
If you did know what a parasocial relationship is then you’d know I’m not using it to describe the relationship between the two drivers.

organic

Risk of rain for the Sunday is going up

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

2022 race highlights:

langedweil

Good to see this whole clickbait hypetrain is stopped immediately ...
HuggaWugga !

Chuckjr

Macca really need to focus their strategy to attack hardest late in the race. We know the Red Bull struggles more and more as it gets lighter and lighter, and by the last stint is really at a light fuel pace disadvantage. Going strong late would also emphasize a Macca strength (like the Merc) of getting faster by percentage than the Red Bull as the car gets lighter on fuel. Pace Max first two thirds maybe pitting when they do?, and then plan to put on hard hard pressure last third. Outside passing is very doable at Silverstone…

It will be interesting to see if the Red Bull Silverstone updates address their -relative to the field- slowing pace as they get lighter on fuel.
Watching F1 since 1986.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Chuckjr wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 18:08
Macca really need to focus their strategy to attack hardest late in the race. We know the Red Bull struggles more and more as it gets lighter and lighter, and by the last stint is really at a light fuel pace disadvantage. Going strong late would also emphasize a Macca strength (like the Merc) of getting faster by percentage than the Red Bull as the car gets lighter on fuel. Pace Max first two thirds maybe pitting when they do?, and then plan to put on hard hard pressure last third. Outside passing is very doable at Silverstone…
I think McLaren needs to force Red Bull in a very long final stint. Either it will give them an even bigger advantage at the end of the race, or they will gain track position and their strong pace should be enough to keep Red Bull (Verstappen) behind.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

I'm bored and kind of interested in whether y'all think Verstappen should join Mercedes or not. I created a small poll: https://strawpoll.com/6QnMQ75ePne

r85
r85

SirBastianVettel wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 18:21
Chuckjr wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 18:08
I think McLaren needs to force Red Bull in a very long final stint. Either it will give them an even bigger advantage at the end of the race, or they will gain track position and their strong pace should be enough to keep Red Bull (Verstappen) behind.
Bit like Austin 2021. Mercedes were slightly behind Red Bull on pace until the second pit stop, but it was close enough to force Max into pitting early and give Lewis enough laps to create an offset and close the 8s gap with the tyre advantage. If Lando is within 2-3s of Max until the final pitstop, then there's everything to play for. Fingers crossed we get something like this on Sunday!

DGP123
DGP123

Looks pretty much guaranteed to be a wet race on Sunday. No complaints here.

organic

DGP123 wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 20:01
Looks pretty much guaranteed to be a wet race on Sunday. No complaints here.
I welcome it. Canada was pretty good!

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

r85 wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 18:54
Bit like Austin 2021. Mercedes were slightly behind Red Bull on pace until the second pit stop, but it was close enough to force Max into pitting early and give Lewis enough laps to create an offset and close the 8s gap with the tyre advantage. If Lando is within 2-3s of Max until the final pitstop, then there's everything to play for. Fingers crossed we get something like this on Sunday!
Even if they are further behind than that, like 10-12 seconds, they should pit early. If Red Bull covers the undercut then they might be compromised by forcing them in a longer stint than they are comfortable with. If they stay out they will lose track position.