Teams working together

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
organic

Re: Teams working together

ispano6 wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 02:52
And besides, McLaren has no ground or proof, since Ric can simply say he had something against McLaren and would do everything possible to prevent Lando from getting the WDC. The two did not get off to a good start (remember the "I will end you!"). It's not a coalition championship, it's personal!
That would be nice except Ricciardo himself said immediately post-race that he had red bull in his mind when he did it.
"I don't mean this against Lando, but part of me is hoping Max wins by one point because I think I guaranteed myself a nice Christmas present, if so.

"I think, obviously, it's with a little bit of Red Bull in mind, but maybe just to have one last crack at doing a fast one, if it is to be it."

ispano6

organic wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 03:15
ispano6 wrote:
And besides, McLaren has no ground or proof, since Ric can simply say he had something against McLaren and would do everything possible to prevent Lando from getting the WDC. The two did not get off to a good start (remember the "I will end you!"). It's not a coalition championship, it's personal!
That would be nice except Ricciardo himself said immediately post-race that he had red bull in his mind when he did it.
"I don't mean this against Lando, but part of me is hoping Max wins by one point because I think I guaranteed myself a nice Christmas present, if so.

"I think, obviously, it's with a little bit of Red Bull in mind, but maybe just to have one last crack at doing a fast one, if it is to be it."
It isn't new that a driver would do something to impress ANOTHER team or help another driver. I doubt "stealing" the fast lap was TEAM ORDERS from RBR to guarantee a gig. Now any time Yuki or Liam takes a fast lap that it would be "suspicious" if they aren't in the points. I've said this before but Red Bull can simply ask Sergio to go for fastest lap to take it away from Lando. RBR doesn't need to break any rules and ask RB to do illegal things. Checo can do the fastest laps every race regardless if he's in the points or not. Sure they can sacrifice the WCC for Max's WDC. I doubt McLaren is going to lose the WCC by 1pt to RBR, but if they do, well Ric really better get rewarded!
Last edited by ispano6 on 25 Sep 2024, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think that Toto Wolff put Lewis Hamilton on soft tires with an early stop in Singapore so that he would be at a strategic disadvantage that would make it impossible for him to challenge Max Verstappen in the race. Toto Wolff wants to hire Max Verstappen and he is hoping that these favors will encourage Max to sign with Mercedes for 2026. In fact, I think that this could explain the nosedive in performance of the Mercedes team since the summer break. Why was George Russell stopped for a 2nd time at the Italian GP? To drop him behind Max Verstappen. Toto Wolff does not want his team to beat Max Verstappen. Mercedes will do anything possible to make sure Verstappen wins his 4th WDC and signs with Mercedes for 2026. It all makes sense.
A lion must kill its prey.

Watto
Watto

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 04:41
I think that Toto Wolff put Lewis Hamilton on soft tires with an early stop in Singapore so that he would be at a strategic disadvantage that would make it impossible for him to challenge Max Verstappen in the race. Toto Wolff wants to hire Max Verstappen and he is hoping that these favors will encourage Max to sign with Mercedes for 2026. In fact, I think that this could explain the nosedive in performance of the Mercedes team since the summer break. Why was George Russell stopped for a 2nd time at the Italian GP? To drop him behind Max Verstappen. Toto Wolff does not want his team to beat Max Verstappen. Mercedes will do anything possible to make sure Verstappen wins his 4th WDC and signs with Mercedes for 2026. It all makes sense.
Probably explains Toto saying he had no issue with Red Bull using Riccardo to take points from Lando. Its within the rules .

krisfx
krisfx

AR3-GP wrote:
What are you taking, and can I have some?

basti313
basti313

AR3-GP wrote:
I think that Toto Wolff put Lewis Hamilton on soft tires
They did this to beat Max at the start. Nothing else.
Don`t russel the hamster!

sn809
sn809

Is it illegal? No its not. From memory this has happened in the past with Williams helping Merc. Don't cry sour grapes. Mclaren left it too late, Next year it will be a good year for their driver's championship challenge.

Quantum

sn809 wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 12:06
From memory this has happened in the past with Williams helping Merc.
Any examples?
"Interplay of triads"

sn809
sn809

Bottas in a Williams helping Hamilton by letting him by so many times before he joined Merc

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

ispano6 wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 03:43
organic wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 03:15
ispano6 wrote:

It isn't new that a driver would do something to impress ANOTHER team or help another driver. I doubt "stealing" the fast lap was TEAM ORDERS from RBR to guarantee a gig. Now any time Yuki or Liam takes a fast lap that it would be "suspicious" if they aren't in the points. I've said this before but Red Bull can simply ask Sergio to go for fastest lap to take it away from Lando. RBR doesn't need to break any rules and ask RB to do illegal things. Checo can do the fastest laps every race regardless if he's in the points or not. Sure they can sacrifice the WCC for Max's WDC. I doubt McLaren is going to lose the WCC by 1pt to RBR, but if they do, well Ric really better get rewarded!
I don't think there was a gap to drop Checo into, unless they manufactured a slow stop, so in Singapore he couldn't go for fastest lap.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

Wouter

PapayaFan481 wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 14:04
I don't think there was a gap to drop Checo into, unless they manufactured a slow stop, so in Singapore he couldn't go for fastest lap.
Sure he could go for a fastest lap but he would loose his own point but that isn't important because they will loose the WCC anyway.
The Power of Dreams!

ispano6

Wouter wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 14:22
PapayaFan481 wrote:
Sure he could go for a fastest lap but he would loose his own point but that isn't important because they will loose the WCC anyway.
Yep exactly, so the reasoning behind asking another team to do it for Max is plain silly. RBR would never do that. They didn't even crash an Alpha Tauri in Abu Dhabi to manufacturer a safety car. They could have stranded Checo earlier in the race instead of retiring him in the pits after the safety car. They left it to fate which arrived in the form of Latifi.

dans79

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 19:08
Is there any proof that Red Bull asked VCARB to box Daniel for fastest lap or is it just speculation?

Too many people are so hurt over 1 point.
It's been going on for years, Qatar 2021 comes to mind. Gasly went wide on the main strait, and then didn't use drs to the very end of the strait (even though he could), until Max was past him.
201 105 104 9 9 7

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Wouter wrote:
25 Sep 2024, 14:22
PapayaFan481 wrote:
He could try, but he'd have come back out into traffic is my point, so no guarantee he gets it.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

feni_remmen
feni_remmen

Good to see old school rants about this. I’m too disillusioned to read all the thoughts, but…

I’ve long thought the teams should all have hard walls formed through a separation of fundamental components. Ie; if a team shares a gearbox, they can’t use the same engine, if they have a technical partnership with wind tunnel sharing, same rule. Same gearbox, can’t share suspension components. Common owners, must have different engines.
The point is simply to force vested interests apart. Of course the B team will be compromised by the A team, even if it is unsaid.

Now there’s a budget cap for all, cost savings is counter-intuitively less relevant. Every team has a budget. Spend it. Having 2 Red-Bull Honda teams means the group is not being compromised if 1 driver from team B does something to favour team A. If they both have different engines, at least the engine supplier might be pissed about this scenario…

I think we have to accept that some level of collusion might exist from time to time. It’s such a close, closed paddock. Jerez 97’ Williams gifting a win to McLaren, for favours paid?

By the way, I’ve always hated a point for fastest lap, but I see nothing wrong with DR going for it whilst running last, for any reason.

Sorry for the word salad.