Poll over: MSC will officially come back.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Will Michael Schumacher make a come back

Yes, with Mercedes Grand Prix 2010
48%
Yes, with Ferrari if they get a third car
2%
NO, he will stay retired.
50%

Total votes: 86

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Poll: Will he come back or not?

Fil wrote:Schumacher was plan C & for marketing since he retired at Ferrari.
Schumacher was plan A , Badoer B, and Fisico C.

And yeah I get your point, but the importance and perceived value for each one is vastly different from the other, even if their positions as employees are really similar. Which in turn is my point. :lol:

I don't know what to make of di Montezemolo though, as now I really don't believe much of what he says to the public. I find it hard to believe that he hasn't spoken to Schumacher about this subject.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Fil

mx_tifosi wrote:I don't know what to make of di Montezemolo though, as now I really don't believe much of what he says to the public.
Yeah that's what my underlying point was.
I read his actions as putting on a public front showing Schumacher to be a dispensable employee of Ferrari.
This is compounded with his recent comments about Massa being Ferrari's inspiration & Alonso leading the team. He is setting up their two drivers to be what Schumacher used to be for Ferrari F1. (ie: Ferrari don't need Schumacher.)

All this amounts to PR preparation for the loss of Schumacher's services to Mercedes.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

nipo
nipo

WhiteBlue wrote:
nipo wrote:If he comes back, he'd better take the WDC and WCC and retire for good. Anything less is not worth it, seriously.
This narrowly scrapes the edges of bovine manure. If he comes back he will come only for one year and primarily for the fun of competing and winning. As always winning will depend a good deal more of the machine than the man. So really all we can expect is Michael to do his best, beat his team mate, stay cool and do not make any dumb mistakes like Jerez 97 or Rascasse 2006. If he collects more race wins or even a championship I would be over the moon but it is by no means a pre requisite and should not be expected. There are obviously other drivers who are capable and likely to be in a championship race to the wire. I count at least Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Massa, Button, Webber and Rosberg into that lot.
You got me wrong, I'm not saying when he comes back he will be able to beat the hell out of Alonso, Hamilton and the like. Hell, in his last two years he raced with Alonso and lost out. His success depends on the same factors as any other driver: luck, skill, fitness, car performance, teamwork etc...

My point is that he is a 7-time World Champ. Statistically (at least) he's the greatest driver F1 has ever seen. Although he didn't take the crown during his last season, he fought well and showed his class right up to the moment he retired. With this kind of achievement I think we can say it is a big risk to return and show anything less. That's why I (bluntly, maybe) say that he'd better make sure he has a very good chance to grab the Champ if he's coming back. Otherwise it's not worth all the media hype, fan excitement and his personal trouble of training up and "betraying" Ferrari etc...

Oh and we do agree that he'll only be back for one season. That makes the stakes even higher, cos there's no second try!

gibells
gibells

I've just changed my vote to 'Yes he will come back and drive for Mercedes GP. There's just too much speculation going around to say otherwise.

My worry is that he'll struggle with coming back. Not as much as Mansell with McLaren, granted. Remember he didn't even sit in the seat! He wasn't fat, just big boned. I think he may even get a race win or two, but I have my doubts that he will challenge in a field that has to be the strongest in years.

WhiteBlue

Over at Crash.net they have a poll if MSC should come back. 70% at the moment say YES, 30% NO.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Steven
Owner

I'm pretty convinced he'll be back behind the wheel next year, if his health allows it. I think he wants it, and Merc wants it. Consider for a second how Norbert Haug would feel if Mercedes enter 2010 as a new team, with the best German ever (statistically) behind the wheel.

Despite arguments that Schu doesn't need to, a good comeback would really top off his career. Remember when Prost came back in 1993, he was there to win the championship once more, only to retire at the end of the year. It moved Prost a serious bit up the ranking.

Even if he'd fail to compete with Rosberg, the team could still argue that Schumacher's advice and setup skills have brought the team forward - or will bring it forward if they should struggle in the beginning of the season.

fenix4life
fenix4life

I can see him coming back but not having to pull back after a few reasons due to his injurie

WhiteBlue

Tomba wrote:Despite arguments that Schu doesn't need to, a good comeback would really top off his career. Remember when Prost came back in 1993, he was there to win the championship once more, only to retire at the end of the year. It moved Prost a serious bit up the ranking.
Lauda also did well on his come back if I remember right.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sport ... -Christmas?

Daimler CEO Zetsche said that the decision will be taken after Xmas
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet
Giblet

I read a quote from Eddie Irvine which hints his neck might be OK, which IMO was the main deciding factor on his return.

"I don't know one way or the other - I played poker with Michael last year and he definitely had a problem with his neck when he was at the table, so I'm not surprised he called it off last year - obviously that's raised an awareness that an issue was there, so I think he's got that sorted and he probably is very ready to go.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I'd love to see him try, I am sure seeing the "old dogs" like Rubens, Button and Fisi doing quite well last year and in competitive equipment sure inspired some desire in him, especially after the explosion of new drivers in the last 3 season who were supposed to be the next generation did not deliver the championship in 09. There were definitely time in 09 that "experience" wins out over outright pace, and thats not to say MS will be lacking in the latter, but he definitely has the former. And to do it in the championship winning car will help motivate his comeback....and he'll have Brawn on his side again....

WhiteBlue

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-new ... cclestone/
Bernie Ecclestone wrote:Well, they've got Michael haven't they? I'm absolutely over the moon' with the possibility. I'd be surprised if he's not driving for them but I don't know if that's a fact - it looks like it's going to happen.
This sounds quite confident. As usual the old dwarf will have some more knowledge than most in F1.

axle
axle

The following is, RUMOUR and CONJECTURE!!!

I have heard, that MS doesn't have a neck issue. It's the get out they used to save face as the F60 was so bad he refused to drive it once he "sampled" it (either in the simulator or on the road...I leave that there).

Additionally I have heard that a closed doors verbal agreement with Merc was reached a long time ago. And indeed, Button was out of a seat anyway as they had already signed Rosberg. MS and co are waiting till other contracts lapse at the end of the month before signing on the dotted line for definite...and it makes for great headline grabbing/press whilst the world waits.

I hate to say it, but he's back.
- Axle

Pandamasque

axle wrote:I hate to say it, but he's back.
But we don't know yet if the car is good enough for the neck to be healed :wink: They won't announce anything until 2010.

Raptor22
Raptor22

Fil wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:I don't know what to make of di Montezemolo though, as now I really don't believe much of what he says to the public.
Yeah that's what my underlying point was.
I read his actions as putting on a public front showing Schumacher to be a dispensable employee of Ferrari.
This is compounded with his recent comments about Massa being Ferrari's inspiration & Alonso leading the team. He is setting up their two drivers to be what Schumacher used to be for Ferrari F1. (ie: Ferrari don't need Schumacher.)

All this amounts to PR preparation for the loss of Schumacher's services to Mercedes.

I agree, this is PR speak for "we're losing him and we really don't like it"

I guess despite LDM's treatment of Schumacher durng 2006, then PR'ing him (see what I did there) out of the F2007 to make space for Raikkonen, then PR'ing Raikkonon out to make way for Alonso, Schumacher has been pretty loyal to Ferrari.

he has always felt he owes Mercedes a debt but never could reach terms with Ron Dennis so the link with McLaren never happened.

I believe he will come back no matter what. Whats interesting is that its taking so long to announce. I suspect that Mr Rosberg Snr is kicking up a stink from Finland to Stuttgart about Schumacher joining the team his son is driving for. We all know that Rosberg Snr is not exactly a fan of Schumacher's since, oh forever (and I suspect it may have something to do with having his arse handed to him in sportscars by the young german).

Theres a bit of politics to be cleared. Firstly the blessing from the wife and family, then the Rosberg snr issues. Mercedes are probably not too concerned if Rosberg snr pulls his son out of the cockpit citing oh fear of transparency, no guarantee of fair treatment and other vodka induced bullsh*t.
Mercedes will want concensus and if they can't get it, I have a feeling that they have their eye on either Kubica or Heidfled if he is still available.

I think mercedes are pretty confident that they will have the best line up available to them in 2010 so there is no rush and I doubt rosberg's seat is as safe as houses. Contracts can be broken or drivers can opt out and I suspect there is some undercurrents in Stuttgart around car number 4.

WhiteBlue

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=39694

Sabine Kehm long term press speaker for Michael Schumacher and in employ by Ferrari for many years has terminated her contract with the Maranello based manufacturer. It is viewed as another hint for Michael Schumacher's come back with Mercedes GP in 2010.