Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
csponton
csponton

Re: Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

TORO ROSSO STR6. Has twice as deep as the Ferrai F92A
http://spontoncristiano.wordpress.com

The Toro Rosso past two seasons in this section follows a completely different path from Red Bull. The STR06 between the cars seen so far seems to be more similar to the previous year. It was fine the front wing, the nose looks identical to that of last year.

Slightly different to the sides now have to the air quite small and tend to much tapering at the rear. Unchanged, the air intake on the roll bar while the bonnet is completely new in what has been deprived of the fin that was linked rear wing.

The major innovations in aerodynamics can be seen above the bottom of the car. In essence, under the benches and created a useful channel to the passage of air, taking a bit 'the concept of Ferrari F92A at that time had proved a disaster because the technology was not up to the period of the solution.

Now the idea has been cleverly captured by Ascanelli to his men that they will try to expedite the passage of air to the rear speakers by using the hot exhaust air that has been mounted, not surprisingly, in a location that is considered strategic the proper functioning of the system.

The only legacy that Red Bull has left the Toro Rosso is the pull-rod rear suspension at the rear. The engine used will be the same as the Ferrari 056 V8 that is just as KERS, which is what the Ferrari team has developed for clients.

Intego

They were a bit economical with cooling outlets, weren't they? Can it be they use exhaust gases plus hot cooling air to feed the diffusor (over it and through starter hole)? But cooling air is not high pressure ... :-k
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

timbo
timbo

Blackout wrote:I was dreaming to see a new Ferrar 92A in 2011 and STR did it. Nice job STR
You're not alone!=)
Car looks cool.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Today:
Note that they have closed of the sidepod openings.

donskar
donskar

IF they really are using some form of "double floor," then Ascanelli deserves some praise. He and his team have tried valiantly to design their own car rather than slavishly copy Newey. I said "valiantly," NOT "intelligently." I still await the press announcement that Ascanelli has joined Ferrari. Can't be too much longer.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

hecti
hecti

I love this car. I just hope that its drivers can really show what it has to offer

forty-two

imightbewrong wrote:Image

Today:
Note that they have closed of the sidepod openings.
It took me a minute, but I see what you mean now!

That fillet seems to have been very carefully made. Perhaps they're seeing if they'll cope ok with the heat in the warmer destinations by simulating much lower airflow?

also, can anyone definitively tell me what the hell that egg shaped thing slung beneath the nose is for. I've seen it on the Red Bull too, and I believe even in races. I've been told it's a ride height sensor, but I don't believe that any team would suffer such a drag penalty during a race unless they absolutely had to.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

humble sabot

my understanding was ballast
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Pandamasque

forty-two wrote:also, can anyone definitively tell me what the hell that egg shaped thing slung beneath the nose is for. I've seen it on the Red Bull too, and I believe even in races. I've been told it's a ride height sensor, but I don't believe that any team would suffer such a drag penalty during a race unless they absolutely had to.
Many cars have that thing. And every Ferrari for the last I don't know... 5-7 years? Anyway. My thinking was along the lines of ballast, but somebody posted a picture where you can clearly see that thing being wired to a box with Optimess sticker on it. Although that doesn't rule out a bit of tungsten.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Ever wondered what that finned pod hanging below the car, its laser ride height sensor here you can see the red do http://twitpic.com/3v7fkj
http://twitter.com/#!/ScarbsF1/status/32115673995935744

humble sabot

explains the wires leading to the one on the [Force India VJM03] Virgin VR01

(edited to correct car designation)
Last edited by humble sabot on 02 Feb 2011, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

They were wondering what the "thing" under the nose was, and since you posted an explanation of it being a laser ride height sensor, he said that that explains the wires - he had originally guessed it to be ballast.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Raptor22
Raptor22

Bloody lovely car STR!! I hopeit goes as well as it looks!

Giblet
Giblet

Every year we get into a "What is that bulbous thing under the car" discussion, and every year there is a page or two until someone says "ride height sensor".

FYI - It's a ride height sensor :)

I hope STR does better this year. Last year their car was never properly developed, and seemed to get worse as the year went on.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

forty-two

I know people have said it's a ride height sensor, but two things make me dubious.

1. I'm fairly sure I've seen the RB6 running during races with it fitted, and that seems like it would present a fairly significant drag penalty. This could be discounted if all cars were running using the same unit, but they don't.

2. Why would a laser ride height sensor need to be mounted in a pod external to the car, surely it could work just as well tucked out of the way with only a lens protruding?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?