Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

China 2013 - Sunday (14.04.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

boyracer94
boyracer94

I'm quite surprised that they aren't using a Helmholtz chamber, given their difficulties with the Coanda exhausts and the inconsistent gas flow.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Wow the whole helmholtz chamber thing has become a real bandwaggon, hasn't it.

Huntresa
Huntresa

beelsebob wrote:Wow the whole helmholtz chamber thing has become a real bandwaggon, hasn't it.
Almost like the gills in the merc thread :P

R_Redding
R_Redding

Whats that black device sticking out of the geabox on its aluminium casting.(looking a bit like die grinder).

I'm assuming thats its an indexer /drive for the gearbox.. presumably so they can rotate or change gears without having the engine and hydraulics running.

Rob

beelsebob
beelsebob

R_Redding wrote:Whats that black device sticking out of the geabox on its aluminium casting.(looking a bit like die grinder).

I'm assuming thats its an indexer /drive for the gearbox.. presumably so they can rotate or change gears without having the engine and hydraulics running.

Rob
I was wondering if it was an endoscope for taking a look at the condition of the box.

Reckoner
Reckoner

Its obviously a high intensity light source which can show you thin areas and possible cracks of the G/Box casing. They put a dark cover over the back of the car and an inspect the G/Box casing whilst the high intensity NDT lightsource is placed into the G/Box. I mean obviously the oil is removed as that would be silly.

Its like crack testing but a new NDT procedure. Very innovative and extremely successful at highlighting weak areas. That G/box will have only done ~2100Km so weak areas may not have fully shown themselves yet. Also a lot less messy than covering everything in Dye and you can do it at the circuit without having to strip the box. Genius!

Recks

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Reckoner wrote:Its obviously a high intensity light source which can show you thin areas and possible cracks of the G/Box casing. They put a dark cover over the back of the car and an inspect the G/Box casing whilst the high intensity NDT lightsource is placed into the G/Box. I mean obviously the oil is removed as that would be silly.

Its like crack testing but a new NDT procedure. Very innovative and extremely successful at highlighting weak areas. That G/box will have only done ~2100Km so weak areas may not have fully shown themselves yet. Also a lot less messy than covering everything in Dye and you can do it at the circuit without having to strip the box. Genius!

Recks
Yeah in the past RBR have x-rayed carbon parts to get around park ferme rules.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

R_Redding
R_Redding

Well...After asking Scarbs what he thought it was...I've finally tracked down what it actually is.

Scarbs thought it to be a Heat Gun for warming the gearbox...and it is.

Its a modified Leister Triac S (or maybe Hot Jet)... You can see the Leister sticker on the handle.

http://www.leister.com/en/plastic-weldi ... cbfb9aec40

Rob

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Reckoner wrote:Its obviously a high intensity light source which can show you thin areas and possible cracks of the G/Box casing. They put a dark cover over the back of the car and an inspect the G/Box casing whilst the high intensity NDT lightsource is placed into the G/Box. I mean obviously the oil is removed as that would be silly.

Recks
No, it's not obvious. This makes no sense. How is the light going to get around the tightly packaged gear cluster? If you have an actual crack all the way through the case, you don't need a light to see it. And you can't see through carbon fiber walls.....

Reckoner
Reckoner

It is extremely obvious.

A G/Box is full of metallic objects which will reflect light at all sorts of different angles from within the box.

The Williams gearbox is clearly not a carbon one. I think someone needs to compare CF and metal to see the differences. Ahem.

We all know how small this box is but the Williams g/box is also extremely light. A lot of this comes down to how thin they have created the casing. A few other teams are using the same technique but Williams originally started using an intensive NDT light source. Under the dark out cover they use Frame transfer CCD which is extremely good at detecting light.

What you get is an image like that of a thermal imaging camera instead where the box "glows" shows weak areas in this case. It has to be seen to be believed. It can highlight cracks in their infancy.

Absolutely incredible.

Recks
(One above the rest)

Chubbs

Reckoner wrote:It is extremely obvious.

A G/Box is full of metallic objects which will reflect light at all sorts of different angles from within the box.

The Williams gearbox is clearly not a carbon one. I think someone needs to compare CF and metal to see the differences. Ahem.

We all know how small this box is but the Williams g/box is also extremely light. A lot of this comes down to how thin they have created the casing. A few other teams are using the same technique but Williams originally started using an intensive NDT light source. Under the dark out cover they use Frame transfer CCD which is extremely good at detecting light.

What you get is an image like that of a thermal imaging camera instead where the box "glows" shows weak areas in this case. It has to be seen to be believed. It can highlight cracks in their infancy.

Absolutely incredible.

Recks
(One above the rest)
It is a heater similar to the one in the link below.

http://www.leister.com/en/plastic-weldi ... efd0862466
Chubbs

beelsebob
beelsebob

So obvious it's not true.

Always beware of obvious things – they often aren't correct.

Tim.Wright

beelsebob wrote:

I think "obviously" and "clearly" are two words which are waaay over used in this forum
Not the engineer at Force India

beelsebob
beelsebob

Tim.Wright wrote:
beelsebob wrote:

I think "obviously" and "clearly" are two words which are waaay over used in this forum
They're way over used in life in general. It's unbelievable how often "its obvious" is used as a substitute for "I don't want to have to bother backing up this assertion".