2015 Monaco Grand Prix - 21-24 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2015 Monaco Grand Prix - 21-24 May

Andres125sx wrote:
evered7 wrote:Lewis didn't tell the team that he wanted to come in because he 'thought' Rosberg/Vettel had pitted. Team didn't tell him that neither Rosberg/Vettel pitted. Team of the opinion that tires were not good (low temp etc) for Hamilton (as mentioned by Hamilton). They see that the gap is more than enough to get him out on time with fresh tires. Miss it by a couple of seconds because VSC changes to SC and picks up Hamilton and also because they wait for Manor to pass.

Why is this then only the team's fault?
Maybe because that´s exactly his job?

If they can´t calculate Lewis was catching up the SC so difference with Rosberg and Vettel will be decreasing, they simply don´t deserve that job

And the responsible of the action knew he was not going to pit Rosberg because he´s the same person (only one strategist in Mercedes) so there was no reason at all to stop Lewis.

As Phil said, pitstops have an inherent risk, it´s a nosense to stop the leader in Monaco with just 10 laps remaining, complete nosense
No No No. That's not team's fault, sure it's not. It is THE DRIVER who is responsible for his own destiny out their in the middle of the track as he has STEERING in his hand, so steer to wherever he wants to go, even for a ride in the sea. The guys sitting in front of those stupid computers are simply hired to travel to various different countries, enjoy 5 star hotel stays, eat in lavish motor homes, roam around the paddock for free and stare with desperation towards those beautiful women out there. All this, free of cost plus get paid for doing so. The driver has been paid millions, so he should use that DAMN steering to understand what is the track temperature is, where is he related to competition, fuel usage, tyre temperature, what's his advantage/disadvantage to the competitors and most of all, what's the MONACO prince is wearing and howz the lady smelling. He better DAMN decide when he wants to use those tyres (does he really needs them?) and pit whenever he wants, even in Bernie's plush gardens (remember he still has STEERING in his hand). Take liberty and drive the whole race with just one set. By virtue of getting those millions, he is also a designant to break situations like "MULTI 21" and drive to his destiny which MANY WILL PRAISE.

The Canada race forum is open, for those who understand racing.

evered7
evered7

Andres125sx wrote:

If they can´t calculate Lewis was catching up the SC so difference with Rosberg and Vettel will be decreasing, they simply don´t deserve that job

And the responsible of the action knew he was not going to pit Rosberg because he´s the same person (only one strategist in Mercedes) so there was no reason at all to stop Lewis.

As Phil said, pitstops have an inherent risk, it´s a nosense to stop the leader in Monaco with just 10 laps remaining, complete nosense
How will the strategist know Lewis wanted to come in because he thought the other two were pitting? Acc. to the data available to him (as conveyed by Lewis), Lewis wanted to come in because he felt the tires would lose temp. That Lewis was concerned about Ros/Vet pitting was not known to the team because Lewis didn't mention it at all as a concern. He only stated that the tires were cold and he wanted to come in.

Pitstops are a risk and it is nonsense to stop. Agreed. That Hamilton didn't know it himself is his fault right? He has been affected in the last race as well. Why take that risk then?

It just shows you cannot cover all possibilities in any given situation. As I said before, Mercs didn't have an issue heating up the tires and he being the leader could have controlled the race at any pace he wants. 2013 was proof of that as well.

Not saying the team didn't err in their calculations. But Hamilton didn't exactly give them the whole picture.

Jordan44

evered7 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

How will the strategist know Lewis wanted to come in because he thought the other two were pitting? Acc. to the data available to him (as conveyed by Lewis), Lewis wanted to come in because he felt the tires would lose temp. That Lewis was concerned about Ros/Vet pitting was not known to the team because Lewis didn't mention it at all as a concern. He only stated that the tires were cold and he wanted to come in.
Because strategists should have a brain in their heads which tells them that they're in Monaco and track position is key. Mercedes should have known that you cannot overtake therefore they must come out ahead of Seb/Nico. And I believe they did. They simply did the maths wrong so it all went to pot.

henra
henra

Andres125sx wrote: If they can´t calculate Lewis was catching up the SC so difference with Rosberg and Vettel will be decreasing, they simply don´t deserve that job
Did they have GPS data of the SC at that moment? Could it be that the SC waited somewhere for Lewis or was varying its speed? Do you know for sure that they did have all Information available to them at that time?

The world is often less perfect in detail in reality than high- gloss brochures want to make you believe. Often these minor deficiencies play their cards in an unappropriate Moment.
As a resukt they made a gross mistake, yet I'm careful to throw stones as long as I don't have the full picture of the Situation someone was in when he had to make a decision. Also in my Profession sometimes I have to make decisions when I'm not privy to all required Information. And thus sometimes I later find out the decision was not the best possible choice. Happens. Therefore these guys have my Sympathy.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Tim.Wright wrote:Pretty clear were this is heading guys: ](*,)
Don't worry Tim. We can look forward to another 20 pages of emotional outbursts before the thread gets locked. :roll:

Thanks to those that posted quotes from the Mercedes team personnel and drivers. Hard facts are always refreshing, and it's good to see no one is making too much of the mistake.

iotar__

Andres125sx wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Not 2012 one point urban legend again. No, Alonso was very lucky to be in contention only due to circumstances (long list) particularly extremely lucky Valencia win because of two DNFs, including Vettel's. He ruined it himself by driving into KR in Suzuka. Since it's Monaco it was a miracle that he survived start pile up he caused in 2012 and didn't get a penalty. The pile up that ruined other drivers' race. He got one for less yesterday and he learned the hard way that he's not driving for Ferrari anymore and his team mate is Jenson "I'm going to Charlie" Button (as Magnussen did last season :wink: ).
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: It was a long time since I didn´t read so much bs in this few lines, Alonso was very lucky in 2012, his best driving ever when he lost his third title only due to Grosjean mistake, but for you he was very lucky.... #-o There´s a difference between you, or your team (car) failing (Vettel in Valencia for example), or you and your team NOT failing but some third driver ruining you championship (Grosjean Spa), but anycase this is way too OT, so let´s talk about Monaco 15
Maybe you don't read much then starting with your own posts. There's no contradiction: you may drive very well and still be extremely lucky. It's not a matter of opinion that Alonso's position in the 2012 championship was achieved thanks to numerous circumstances, the prime example is Valencia. Points gained that way count the same way as points lost through crashes. It's not a matter of opinion that Alonso himself caused Suzuka DNF that cost him points. I really can't be bothered to bring back all the examples of pure lack but at least you still got 300% more facts instead of five emoticons :wink: . Alonso didn't lose a championship in Spa because of someone else. That's not how it works: alternative reality when you change only one thing you don't like and pretend nothing else changes.
Andres125sx wrote:About Verstappen, he was doing a great race, but then that mistake.... I don´t care if Grosjean hitted the brakes a bit sooner, he can do it if, for example, his brakes are too hot, so this was Max responsibility no matter how you look at it
It was a great race ruined by a big mistake. That´s what happens when you´re too agresive, you can do a great race, or you can end up on the barriers.Funny thing is he gifted one more point to his main rival, his team mate
This "I braked at the same place" line is the worst excuse you can make, I bet the wall was in the same place too only his car was too close. For Verstappen's sake I hope that Red Bull's department of misinformation wrote it for him and he doesn't believe it, put "telemetry showed", it sounds smart and someone might buy it. What about all the other "telemetry" data, like speed, direction, car control, and non telemetry observation like : what would have happened if car in front was marginally faster? It would have ended exactly the same way , it was attempt at nothing apart from high speed crash. it's simply unacceptable to drag someone else into your own failure. {edit: typos}

Mandrake
Mandrake

The aftermath of these boring Monaco races is always hugely entertaining :D I watched the start, which was nice to look at and then came back to the forum here which is 1000 times better than watching the procession. Thanks for that :D

By the way a little note to all the Hamilton supporters here: 70% of my "I do not like Hamilton as much as I like other race drivers" feeling come from his blind supporters here that always overreact and overanalyse. The other 30% are his clothing, on/off relationships and drama queen attitude ;)

Kiril Varbanov

New definitions to be added to Merriam-Webster - Level of disappointment: Hamilton.
I truly feel bad for him, he wiped the track with the rivals...

wickedz50
wickedz50

Kiril Varbanov wrote:New definitions to be added to Merriam-Webster - Level of disappointment: Hamilton.

http://cdn-4.motorsport.com/static/img/ ... nner-n.jpg
Beautiful snap which really sums up the story of the race!!

Wondering if the F1 2015 championship final standing will be something similar, a great beginning only to end 2 places down..hoping for a repeat of 2007

matt_b
matt_b

wickedz50 wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:New definitions to be added to Merriam-Webster - Level of disappointment: Hamilton.

http://cdn-4.motorsport.com/static/img/ ... nner-n.jpg
Beautiful snap which really sums up the story of the race!!

Wondering if the F1 2015 championship final standing will be something similar, a great beginning only to end 2 places down..hoping for a repeat of 2007
Given that Lewis has dominated Nico at every race bar Spain, probably not, but just like Monaco you never know that's what keeps us watching every fortnight.

WaikeCU

Seriously, I hope we don't have to look back by the end of the season and say 'What if Mercedes haven't bottled it in Monaco?'. LH was written all over the Monaco GP throughout the weekend. By losing it like that, it's just absolutely sour tbh.

Also, It's mental that Rosberg has won the last 3 editions of the Monaco GP. Pretty mad that his name is mentioned alongside Ayrton Senna. :wtf:

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

WaikeCU wrote:Pretty mad that his name is mentioned alongside Ayrton Senna. :wtf:
Here, have one of these:

efuloni
efuloni

Let's talk a bit about the underdogs. Button, Perez and Nasr were great. Hulkenberg seems less motivated at each weekend. I guess its his final year, he is going to WEC.

Andres125sx

GPR-A wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
evered7 wrote:Lewis didn't tell the team that he wanted to come in because he 'thought' Rosberg/Vettel had pitted. Team didn't tell him that neither Rosberg/Vettel pitted. Team of the opinion that tires were not good (low temp etc) for Hamilton (as mentioned by Hamilton). They see that the gap is more than enough to get him out on time with fresh tires. Miss it by a couple of seconds because VSC changes to SC and picks up Hamilton and also because they wait for Manor to pass.

Why is this then only the team's fault?

No No No. That's not team's fault, sure it's not. It is THE DRIVER who is responsible for his own destiny out their in the middle of the track as he has STEERING in his hand, so steer to wherever he wants to go, even for a ride in the sea. The guys sitting in front of those stupid computers are simply hired to travel to various different countries, enjoy 5 star hotel stays, eat in lavish motor homes, roam around the paddock for free and stare with desperation towards those beautiful women out there. All this, free of cost plus get paid for doing so. The driver has been paid millions, so he should use that DAMN steering to understand what is the track temperature is, where is he related to competition, fuel usage, tyre temperature, what's his advantage/disadvantage to the competitors and most of all, what's the MONACO prince is wearing and howz the lady smelling. He better DAMN decide when he wants to use those tyres (does he really needs them?) and pit whenever he wants, even in Bernie's plush gardens (remember he still has STEERING in his hand). Take liberty and drive the whole race with just one set. By virtue of getting those millions, he is also a designant to break situations like "MULTI 21" and drive to his destiny which MANY WILL PRAISE.

The Canada race forum is open, for those who understand racing.
So now strategist are useless, drivers should ignore them and do whatever they want... even if they´re leading the race and know nothing about what´s happening behind them :shock:

#-o

Andres125sx

iotar__ wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Not 2012 one point urban legend again. No, Alonso was very lucky to be in contention only due to circumstances (long list) particularly extremely lucky Valencia win because of two DNFs, including Vettel's. He ruined it himself by driving into KR in Suzuka. Since it's Monaco it was a miracle that he survived start pile up he caused in 2012 and didn't get a penalty. The pile up that ruined other drivers' race. He got one for less yesterday and he learned the hard way that he's not driving for Ferrari anymore and his team mate is Jenson "I'm going to Charlie" Button (as Magnussen did last season :wink: ).
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: It was a long time since I didn´t read so much bs in this few lines, Alonso was very lucky in 2012, his best driving ever when he lost his third title only due to Grosjean mistake, but for you he was very lucky.... #-o There´s a difference between you, or your team (car) failing (Vettel in Valencia for example), or you and your team NOT failing but some third driver ruining you championship (Grosjean Spa), but anycase this is way too OT, so let´s talk about Monaco 15
Maybe you don't read much then starting with your own posts. There's no contradiction: you may drive very well and still be extremely lucky. It's not a matter of opinion that Alonso's position in the 2012 championship was achieved thanks to numerous circumstances, the prime example is Valencia. Points gained that way count the same way as points lost through crashes. It's not a matter of opinion that Alonso himself caused Suzuka DNF that cost him points. I really can't be bothered to bring back all the examples of pure lack but at least you still got 300% more facts instead of five emoticons :wink: . Alonso didn't lose a championship in Spa because of someone else. That's not how it works: alternative reality when you change only one thing you don't like and pretend nothing else changes.
On this sports it´s the team what counts, right? If your car stops that´s your own fault. But if another driver crash with you that´s not. Both teams and drivers made their own mistakes, but only one was punished by another driver´s mistake, Alonso, that´s the difference

Fact :wink: