2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

If Mercedes needs a strong talent and if Antonelli is such a talent, then he should fly in F2 this year and if he does so, there is no reason to hold him back in any other categories. Just throw him in F1 alongside George for 2025, let him learn his lessons on the big stage. If he is a great talent, then he will learn and perform like Lewis, Max, Lando and Charles have done with their opportunities. I never thought it was a good idea to put good talent in mid field or back marker teams. Mercedes lost Max because they didn't have a place to put Max in 2015 and Marko snapped him. If Antonelli doesn't shine in Mercedes, they can let him go and move on to other drivers.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ME4ME wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 12:59
Lewis Hamilton basically had unlimited testing before his debut at Mclaren.
Max Verstappen had a year at Toro Rosso before joining Red Bull while they were relatively uncompetitive and not fighting for the championship.
Charles Leclerc was placed at Sauber before he joined Ferrari.
Oscar Piastri spend an entire year on the sidelines while Alpine spend millions on a testing program for him. He then jumped into a Mclaren which was uncompetitive for half a season. There was no pressure aside from his move from Alpine to Mclaren.

Even if Antonelli is of the same caliber as the drivers mentioned above. Is it really realistic or smart to put him directly in a Mercedes with none or minimal testing, in 2025 which is the last year of a tech-era which is always the most competitive year?

Red Bull learned the hard way by promoting Albon and Kvyat too early. Toto should've noticed that too. Even George Russel - if you think he's inconsistent now, what about if they had put him in the Mercedes sooner?
Mercedes would be allowed to test Antonelli in a 2022 F1 car this year

ME4ME

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 15:45
True. Good point. Although alongside a full blown F2 championship bid against Bearman.

wiktor977
wiktor977

Hammerfist wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 04:13
wiktor977 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 11:22
Hammerfist wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 06:49
With Wolff being there I just don't see a way in for Alonso. He really despises Fernando and has made his feelings known on multiple occasions. Vettel has been out of the sport and was past his prime anyway, so I doubt he is even on the radar. The ideal driver for them just signed a multi year at Mclaren. I wonder if Lando is kicking himself right about now.
What? Sorry but this must be the worst opinion I have seen in a long time. First of all Toto is a huge commpetitor and bussines man, he will do anything to win again. Also when Alonso was vocal about Toto or even Mercedes? He was vocal about Hamilton before that is for sure but Lewis is leaving Mercedes so why would Toto even care at this point.

There is no other driver on the market with talent, experience, leadership and marketing abilities like Alonso.
Nonsense. That's not the way thing work in the real world. People get jobs over more qualified folks because they are just nicer people. That happens all the time. If performance was the only thing that mattered how come Alonso hasn't been able to find a competitive seat the last 10 years or so when there were a few opportunities that presented themselves. Why didn't Redbull bring him in when Ricciardo left abruptly? Why didn't Toto bring him in when Nico left? Why wasn't he even in the radar for those seats when it was all said and done? How you treat people inside the team matters in F1. alonso is well known for causing division inside the team. To his credit he has strayed away from that at Aston Martin because he knows his teammate is the boss's son. I'm sorry, I just do not think they will pick Alonso. There has been too many bad things said about him by Toto. He would look like a hypocrite if he brings him in.
Toto didn't brought Alonso before because there was no need, Hamilton was there. Red Bull tried to sign Alonso 6 times before. In 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and twice in 2018. Toto himself said thet that Alosno is TOP3 next to the Hamilton and Schumacher.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ME4ME wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 16:00
AR3-GP wrote:
True. Good point. Although alongside a full blown F2 championship bid against Bearman.
I have no idea but for what it’s worth the F2 calendar isn’t very long. Also Antonelli could even participate in the mandatory young driver testing this season?

I don’t know what his super-license situation is however and I think he has to turn 18 first so that would rule him out until after the summer break for any Friday practice sessions

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 16:14
ME4ME wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 16:00
AR3-GP wrote:
I have no idea but for what it’s worth the F2 calendar isn’t very long. Also Antonelli could even participate in the mandatory young driver testing this season?

I don’t know what his super-license situation is however and I think he has to turn 18 first so that would rule him out until after the summer break for any Friday practice sessions
He has the SL points but he needs to be 18 for F1 weekends i believe

Venturiation
Venturiation

wiktor977 wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 16:02
Hammerfist wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 04:13
wiktor977 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 11:22

What? Sorry but this must be the worst opinion I have seen in a long time. First of all Toto is a huge commpetitor and bussines man, he will do anything to win again. Also when Alonso was vocal about Toto or even Mercedes? He was vocal about Hamilton before that is for sure but Lewis is leaving Mercedes so why would Toto even care at this point.

There is no other driver on the market with talent, experience, leadership and marketing abilities like Alonso.
Nonsense. That's not the way thing work in the real world. People get jobs over more qualified folks because they are just nicer people. That happens all the time. If performance was the only thing that mattered how come Alonso hasn't been able to find a competitive seat the last 10 years or so when there were a few opportunities that presented themselves. Why didn't Redbull bring him in when Ricciardo left abruptly? Why didn't Toto bring him in when Nico left? Why wasn't he even in the radar for those seats when it was all said and done? How you treat people inside the team matters in F1. alonso is well known for causing division inside the team. To his credit he has strayed away from that at Aston Martin because he knows his teammate is the boss's son. I'm sorry, I just do not think they will pick Alonso. There has been too many bad things said about him by Toto. He would look like a hypocrite if he brings him in.
Toto didn't brought Alonso before because there was no need, Hamilton was there. Red Bull tried to sign Alonso 6 times before. In 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and twice in 2018. Toto himself said thet that Alosno is TOP3 next to the Hamilton and Schumacher.
Bad plan for Alonso if he gets only 1 year then thrown out

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Toto wants to reign things in a bit (but I'm not sure that's possible at this point and I'm sure he knows that people have already run wild with this).

His comments nonetheless:
Asked about the prospects for Antonelli, Wolff said: "Kimi has been with Mercedes since he was 11. He's been in the junior programme, and his junior career was very successful.

"I think most important at this stage is that he concentrates on F2. I think if we start to spin his mind or unleash rumours in the media on to him, that's not going to help his F2 campaign.

"He's just stepped out of karts a few years ago, and he's not even 18. So I would rather not start any speculation about Kimi going into F1 at this stage."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/merce ... /10572457/

Farnborough
Farnborough

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 18:44
Toto wants to reign things in a bit (but I'm not sure that's possible at this point and I'm sure he knows that people have already run wild with this).

His comments nonetheless:
Asked about the prospects for Antonelli, Wolff said: "Kimi has been with Mercedes since he was 11. He's been in the junior programme, and his junior career was very successful.

"I think most important at this stage is that he concentrates on F2. I think if we start to spin his mind or unleash rumours in the media on to him, that's not going to help his F2 campaign.

"He's just stepped out of karts a few years ago, and he's not even 18. So I would rather not start any speculation about Kimi going into F1 at this stage."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/merce ... /10572457/
Finding myself in agreement with TW as those words attributed to him.
There's absolute pace and skill as one part, in addition the mental strength to handle such expectations as the "next" anybody is a severity most of us in commenting are unlikely to be exposed to.

Each and every new driver will take time to bring their own best sphere of performance to a very public sport, with a good team support in place and consideration for that person, then it will come logically to likely a high achievement. Exposed too early (everyone is an individual) to the full re-heat of just the prevailing press often doesn't bring good outcomes.

Sevach
Sevach

wiktor977 wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 16:02
And a good manager doesn't let personal feeling do important decisions(if he even dislikes Alonso this much, it may have been momentary flames), he will get the best driver available, which may well be Fernando.
It's either him or Carlos frankly.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Merc is doing Pirelli tire test today: https://racingnews365.com/hamilton-make ... -news-bomb

CHT
CHT

Although LH still has a contract for 2024, I am guessing both LH and Merc may part ways midway into the season, especially if W15 is not as quick as LH has hoped for.

LH perhaps will want to take a short break to recharge before moving to Ferrari, while Merc may prefer their new driver to start giving input to the 2025 cars before the end of the season and keeping their development program away from LH.

SV to replace LH? I think that is highly possible and it will be exciting to see how SV fair against GR,

maygun
maygun

CHT wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 01:18
Although LH still has a contract for 2024, I am guessing both LH and Merc may part ways midway into the season, especially if W15 is not as quick as LH has hoped for.

LH perhaps will want to take a short break to recharge before moving to Ferrari, while Merc may prefer their new driver to start giving input to the 2025 cars before the end of the season and keeping their development program away from LH.

SV to replace LH? I think that is highly possible and it will be exciting to see how SV fair against GR,
No one throwing 25milion of euros to take a charge :D

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CHT wrote:

None of this is realistic.

JPower
JPower

CHT wrote:

Are you talking about Seb Vettel or Stoffel Vandoorne? Regardless, either one is getting absolutely washed by George. Wouldn’t be close.

Lewis will race because he’s a competitor. Probably the most underrated trait he has.