Lotus T127 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Lotus 2010 Car

to put this into perspective ...

both Virgin and Lotus face teething trouble and parts shortage.

I´d say it is of utmost performance for both of them to get miles under their belt .

segedunum
segedunum

I think Lotus and Mike Gascoyne should be very proud of themselves. They've got themselves a nice, conservative car that they've already proved can do race distances with and their pace is not bad. As a team, they've given themselves a serious foothold in the sport that should establish the Lotus name as a fixture again.

I know they have nothing to do with the old Lotus team, but it's nice to see the name back and people making an effort to do it justice.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Two thumbs up for this video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idtAvNkaMBQ[/youtube]
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Superb vid - that is how it is done.

I get the feeling that Lotus will win a good few fans this year.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

horse

The thing is, this Lotus team doesn't remind me of a team that is low on cash. Think about it, two salaried drivers, a super fast development program, top notch multimedia, they must have a big old slush fund. When I think back to Brawn's first attempt at a website it was a bit shameful, but these guys have got it all, all at once. So perhaps they're not as tightly budgeted as some might think?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

axle
axle

S.E. Asian web dev's aren't that expensive ;)

MG for all that I don't "like" him is obviously good at getting teams off the ground and getting a good team of people together.
- Axle

nacho
nacho

From what I have gathered from quotes, the current car was actually first designed without knowing which engine they will use hence that explains the huge air intakes they have on the sidepods.

Heikki said that the car is quite heavy, perhaps they played safe to make sure there isn't any chance of failing the crash tests.

I hope the car is at the moment an early draft by Gascoyne.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

horse wrote:The thing is, this Lotus team doesn't remind me of a team that is low on cash. Think about it, two salaried drivers, a super fast development program, top notch multimedia, they must have a big old slush fund. When I think back to Brawn's first attempt at a website it was a bit shameful, but these guys have got it all, all at once. So perhaps they're not as tightly budgeted as some might think?
They also got the Malaysian gov. backing them....not exactly a poor country being oil producer and all....

So apparently if they ever win a race they'll play Malaysian Anthem?

Belatti
Belatti

nacho wrote:From what I have gathered from quotes, the current car was actually first designed without knowing which engine they will use hence that explains the huge air intakes they have on the sidepods.

Heikki said that the car is quite heavy, perhaps they played safe to make sure there isn't any chance of failing the crash tests.

I hope the car is at the moment an early draft by Gascoyne.
Colin Chapman must be revolving/turning/flipping/spinning in his grave. What? Oh! Did I already say that? Well, I´ll say it again!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

BTW, I think thats the worse strategy to develop. I rather prefer fragile and fast than reliable and heavy-slow.

With the first one, you fail at the beggining.

With the second, you fail at the biggining and then you fail again when you stretch things up looking for speed.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

WhiteBlue

I think a first car in a year where the competition is still fully tweaked in favor of the fat cats with 300 mil $ budgets should be one with reliability and safety rather than outright performance. You need to make sure you are on the grid every race and do not screw up with unsafe designs and get DSQed.

There can allways be a freak event with massive rain and the last men rolling are taking points or even big points. If it comes to that you want to make sure you are there. If you have the money you can do a B' spec or optimize next years car if havn't.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

PlatinumZealot

Yup, better safe than sorry.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

spinmastermic

Anyone else notice the rain light in the video was green? First Force India, now Lotus. Does the light have to be red?

Belatti
Belatti

OK, you like conservative ways, I dont :mrgreen:

Poleman

I dont think that the term "conservative" is the right approach.I would rather call it "methodical".History shows that aero/performance issues can be surpassed during the season but reliability issues dont.Being a Mclaren supporter myself i was more pleased with MP4-24 (which started the season fairly bad improving later on to a winning car) with a solid base and reliable than the rather "fragile" MP4-20 which was fast as hell, but everytime it was on track, i was keeping my fingers crossed so nothing fails or falls apart...As for the Lotus team being a new team,the "conservative" way is the right option for them in my opinion.