2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This car really is carrying an invisible parachute imo. It's arguably why they were so strong at high altitude.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

mclaren111 wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 15:46
https://i.postimg.cc/YCBmxYGT/2023-07-0 ... Viewer.jpg

Hope they've turned down the engine & will pick it up tomorrow...
Yeah I hope so too. Bit ominous to see them this far down on the speed traps. S3 is mega quick in the slow speed corners before the main straight. But we are sitting ducks and lose tons of time on the straights. Sincerely hope this update has made the DF more efficient and its just a factor of engine power

Motörhead
Motörhead

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 16:53
mclaren111 wrote:

Yeah I hope so too. Bit ominous to see them this far down on the speed traps. S3 is mega quick in the slow speed corners before the main straight. But we are sitting ducks and lose tons of time on the straights. Sincerely hope this update has made the DF more efficient and its just a factor of engine power
How often do you see McLaren at the top of the timesheets in P1? (Not including sprint weekends.)
They always build up to it. They gather data. Work the simulator and come back stronger the next day.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Motörhead wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 17:06
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 16:53
mclaren111 wrote:

How often do you see McLaren at the top of the timesheets in P1? (Not including sprint weekends.)
They always build up to it. They gather data. Work the simulator and come back stronger the next day.
In previous seasons it was like it but noticed it more and more that top speeds during FP do correlate to top speeds in quali and race

continuum16

I’ll be honest my confidence in McLaren’s assurances of technical improvement was quite low (10 years of underperformance will do that), but the car is looking notably better than before the update. Obviously only practice and all that.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

vorticism

Sutton:

𓄀

CjC
CjC

continuum16 wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 17:24
I’ll be honest my confidence in McLaren’s assurances of technical improvement was quite low (10 years of underperformance will do that), but the car is looking notably better than before the update. Obviously only practice and all that.
Not that I have watched any running from today yet but I’m pleased to hear your comments. I was just thinking to myself whilst looking at the current times that it’s not looking all that good but you think different👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

continuum16

CjC wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 17:55
continuum16 wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 17:24
Not that I have watched any running from today yet but I’m pleased to hear your comments. I was just thinking to myself whilst looking at the current times that it’s not looking all that good but you think different👍🏻
I say this because usually they look a bit out to lunch on Friday but the car looks fairly balanced and they were good on harder compounds. Not as much relative improvement on the softs, at least in FP2.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

MrGapes

The race pace looked really strong tbh.. Quali pace not great, but tomorrow is cooler so lets see. Also cars very different between Oscar and Lando, Lando is running much lower (quite edgy and oversteery in high speed), Oscar higher (ride kerbs much better in high speed, higher top speed)

Emag
Emag

MrGapes wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 18:08
The race pace looked really strong tbh.. Quali pace not great, but tomorrow is cooler so lets see. Also cars very different between Oscar and Lando, Lando is running much lower (quite edgy and oversteery in high speed), Oscar higher (ride kerbs much better in high speed, higher top speed)
How was race pace in terms of pecking order? And was it close with Aston/Merc?

MrGapes

Emag wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 18:15
MrGapes wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 18:08
How was race pace in terms of pecking order? And was it close with Aston/Merc?
Hard to tell completely...because he was held up by Fernando most of the stint (which is a positive :lol: )... he was doing 33.9, lap after he overtook he did 33.6 which was like Lap 11 on a hard tyre. Hamilton was doing about 34.0s on softs. Only other upper midfield runner on hards was Gasly and he was doing 34.5s..

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

I thing we have a little bit more time on single lap because normally we run tuned down on Friday

Encouraging that in race pace we are third team .We keep the momentum of Austria and building on it.

Probably the new construction tyre suite us also

mclaren111

I think Lando made a mistake on his qualifying lap and aborted it... He did do a second one and slightly improved on his previous best time...

Lando also said he was struggling with the balance of his car... I think we'll do better today... :D

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

mclaren111 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 11:01
I think Lando made a mistake on his qualifying lap and aborted it... He did do a second one and slightly improved on his previous best time...

Lando also said he was struggling with the balance of his car... I think we'll do better today... :D
You are right. I watched and everyone did a three lap stint on the soft.Lando did a five lap stint so he had also extra weight.

So far the qualifications are touch and go about a possible thunderstorm in the end of it

Darth-Piekus

I've read an interesting article claiming that Red Bull pretty much is with the same car as when they started this year only tweaking the floor to unlock more potential. What is the secret of their floor and why have they been annoyed when Perez's car was lifted in Monaco? Could they have something let's say illegal down there since it's not the first time they did something like that. Sure you could say that there has been dominations like this from the old MP4-4 but back then Mclaren has the best duo of all time by far from the rest. This car doesn't seem to be able to lose anywhere and makes me thinking if there is something illegal that they are hiding giving them that much speed.