2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

A trait of the RB is how it can follow other cars. I look forward to seeing how the Mclaren behaves in this regard tomorrow.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

Emag wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:40
bigblue wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:34
Who lead the program for the upgrades? Key or not?
Key's last contribution was the package that came before Austria. These new stuff have come from the new team Stella has put together.

And I am pretty sure Key was an overly cautious kind of guy. They played it too safe and the team admitted that after the season started in 2023. Now that he is gone, Podromou was allowed to explore different, more risky aero solutions?

The risk has payed off. I know there's noticeable change in sidepod philosophy, but I think the biggest contributor has got to be the new floor. They must be "cooking" something under there.
Let's not forget... It's still Key's Chassis. We'll never know what went wrong, why the Aero was under-par, what was holding the team back.. but lets be thankful too Key too, I'm glade he has a new challenge, with a good team

the EDGE
the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:08
A trait of the RB is how it can follow other cars. I look forward to seeing how the Mclaren behaves in this regard tomorrow.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the RB goes following a pair of McLarens :lol:

f1rules
f1rules

Exactly =D>
Mansell89 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:54
Fabulous result today and superb consistency from both drivers.

The super, super exciting thing is that these new development directions are being executed without the in house wind tunnel, so development can be faster and easier for the whole group once we stop making trips to Cologne!

Brilliant to see and the first real glimpse of the potential when you’ve got a proper knowledgable, details guy in Andrea Stella overseeing some talented and creative guys like Pete Prod, Oatley and of course next year, Sanchez.
Last edited by f1rules on 08 Jul 2023, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Darth-Piekus

Its too hard to give any credit to Key when he produced a car that went backwards from 2021.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

the EDGE wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:09
Emag wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:40
bigblue wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:34
Who lead the program for the upgrades? Key or not?
Key's last contribution was the package that came before Austria. These new stuff have come from the new team Stella has put together.

And I am pretty sure Key was an overly cautious kind of guy. They played it too safe and the team admitted that after the season started in 2023. Now that he is gone, Podromou was allowed to explore different, more risky aero solutions?

The risk has payed off. I know there's noticeable change in sidepod philosophy, but I think the biggest contributor has got to be the new floor. They must be "cooking" something under there.
Let's not forget... It's still Key's Chassis. We'll never know what went wrong, why the Aero was under-par, what was holding the team back.. but lets be thankful too Key too, I'm glade he has a new challenge, with a good team
I totally agree with you there. Let’s be honest the change from push to pull and pull to push all happened under Keys watch. I do think he’s also to thank for some of the good things that have been happening. But my lord this aero upgrade has propelled the car forward. It’s not often you see such a leap in performance!!!

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 21:42
Sharing a bit of data comparing Lando’s best run in FP2 - 2023 vs his best Qualifying lap in 2022

Validation of what appeared in the data for testing, with the MCL60 showing improvements in both top speed and cornering speed vs the MCL36, this is interesting given that in the front straight for example the Team’s have 80m less of DRS compared to last year and that they are not running “Qualifying” modes in FP2, an interesting data point is the straight before the last corner in which the teams aren’t using DRS, which could indicate the difference in drag year on year, here the MCL60 not only reaches 295 km/h vs 287 km/h, it also sustains that top speed for a longer period of time (better deployment from the Mercedes PU?)

Also interesting to note that cornering speed, even with a greener track has also improved compared to last year, the difference in T11 minimum speed was a whooping 19 km/h higher during practice (which is probably an outlier, but shows that understeer and keeping the front tires alive is better this year overall)… Beyond a bigger lift in T6 compared to last year, the MCL60 builds the gap to the MCL36 in the second part of the lap.

https://i.imgur.com/ggLUK2A.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1AYMOmc.jpg
Hey Smallsoldier... I would love to see how this upgrade fits in with your analysis :wink:

runningmanz
runningmanz

Mega result for McLaren! Insane. Oscar without the latest rear wing too which is even more impressive! Can't wait for the race!

Also put a couple of bets on before the weekend at big odds for Lando or Oscar for the win! Ya never know. :lol: :D
Last edited by runningmanz on 08 Jul 2023, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:19
SmallSoldier wrote:
Sharing a bit of data comparing Lando’s best run in FP2 - 2023 vs his best Qualifying lap in 2022

Validation of what appeared in the data for testing, with the MCL60 showing improvements in both top speed and cornering speed vs the MCL36, this is interesting given that in the front straight for example the Team’s have 80m less of DRS compared to last year and that they are not running “Qualifying” modes in FP2, an interesting data point is the straight before the last corner in which the teams aren’t using DRS, which could indicate the difference in drag year on year, here the MCL60 not only reaches 295 km/h vs 287 km/h, it also sustains that top speed for a longer period of time (better deployment from the Mercedes PU?)

Also interesting to note that cornering speed, even with a greener track has also improved compared to last year, the difference in T11 minimum speed was a whooping 19 km/h higher during practice (which is probably an outlier, but shows that understeer and keeping the front tires alive is better this year overall)… Beyond a bigger lift in T6 compared to last year, the MCL60 builds the gap to the MCL36 in the second part of the lap.

Hey Smallsoldier... I would love to see how this upgrade fits in with your analysis :wink:
Finishing breakfast and will get on it!!! I am sure we will see a lot of interesting things! (And yes, there is some Bourbon in my coffee to celebrate! hahaha)

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:23
the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Finishing breakfast and will get on it!!! I am sure we will see a lot of interesting things! (And yes, there is some Bourbon in my coffee to celebrate! hahaha)
Well good for U... what a great way to start the day :lol: and I don't just mean the Bourbon!

Thanks, looking forward to it

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:27
SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:23
the EDGE wrote:

Well good for U... what a great way to start the day :lol: and I don't just mean the Bourbon!

Thanks, looking forward to it
It will be a little trickier to make an assessment between last year and this year, last year’s Qualy was in wet conditions (while the end of Qualy was dry this year)… I’m trying to use both FP2 and FP3 to make a better comparison, but need to also go check tires used… But, even if faulty, we may be able to identify a few trends and characteristics

Macklaren
Macklaren

JordanMugen wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:02
Do folks suppose Piastri made the right decision selecting McLaren ’23 + '24 instead of Williams '23 + '24 and Alpine '25? :?:
Similarly, do folks doubt that McLaren made the right decision in selecting Piastri amid all the drama last year? I love Danny but don't he would have put it a tenth behind Lando

gary71
gary71

Awesome result for them, really happy to see it.
Just my unqualified observation but it definitely seemed that the team were very reserved when interacting with Zak's high fives etc. I know the team were incredibly happy but they are not comfortable with him at all. Just what I thought watching them and was curious if anyone else noticed that? Maybe it is management style of "I am the ruthless cold boss and not your mate" taken to a high level.

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:10
mwillems wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:08
I'm looking forward to seeing how the RB goes following a pair of McLarens :lol:
Ahahaha But Oscar will still be in second following Lando!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

organic

Mansell89 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:01
Mika Hakkinens words not quite so whacko now are they?! Crikey.
He either had a crystal ball or access to their wind tunnel numbers :P