Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Ferrari F2012

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Pull rod? I'm glad that it finally went away.
Pull rod went away? I must've missed that :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Teechnical

Yeah definitely. Must've been a typo. :S

Logically, Canada doesn't suit the F2012 too much, due to its low downforce nature.
AND TOP SPEED.
God we need that.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Ray, they are referring to the issue against the pull rod. Please read the last page....
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Teechnical wrote:Yeah definitely. Must've been a typo. :S

Logically, Canada doesn't suit the F2012 too much, due to its low downforce nature.
AND TOP SPEED.
God we need that.
We will have a low downforce package for Canada.

Our top speed is not terrible. In Spain we were 3 kmph down on Mclaren and 1kmph down on Mercedes.

Lotus were in a league of their own.

Kiril Varbanov

raymondu999 wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Pull rod? I'm glad that it finally went away.
Pull rod went away? I must've missed that :?
Dear me, slip of the tongue, I meant that the discussion about it went away :) At least for a while?
Fry and the rest of the team have mentioned on several occasions that the front pull rod isn't going away at all.

Richard
Richard

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Dear me, slip of the tongue, I meant that the discussion about it went away :) At least for a while?
Gone from this thread, properly gone. It is still alive in its own little world. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9345&view=unread#unread

ArchAngel

bhallg2k wrote:I've been trying to figure out that structure, too. My first thought was that it could be a Daffy Duct adapter, a la Mercedes. But, it doesn't appear to have the type of openings necessary, and the nose is absent any inlets at all...

...My best bet is that a Daffy Duct is coming, it's just not quite there yet...
Domenicali: Ferrari must focus on single-lap pace
Although no references have been made regarding the technical solution they wish to pursue, their intent does seem to suggest the possibility of going down the DDRS route.

Teechnical

I don't think so, DDRS takes too much useful time to develop. For single lap pace, they can achieve this by improving traction and finding a sweet position for their exhaust possibly. There's also a new sidepod, front wing, rear wing and i think updated diffuser coming to Montreal.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

.poz
.poz

sknguy wrote:
rjsa wrote:
ema00 wrote:Is the part in carbon fiber at the centre a part of the car or it's a part of the external structure? (in the second photo)
Seems not to me, some kind of housing.
Just some protection when swapping front wings I'd guess?
I think it's structural, not a protection. If it is only a protection it will not need such big bolts. May be it helps to give more rigidity to the nose.

Redragon

richard_leeds wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Dear me, slip of the tongue, I meant that the discussion about it went away :) At least for a while?
Gone from this thread, properly gone. It is still alive in its own little world. :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9345&view=unread#unread
Where I guess X is quiet happy feeling the king of discussion. :)

sknguy
sknguy

bhallg2k wrote:I've been trying to figure out that structure, too. My first thought was that it could be a Daffy Duct adapter, a la Mercedes. But, it doesn't appear to have the type of openings necessary, and the nose is absent any inlets at all.

I don't know why the team would all of the sudden decide that the car requires any sort of added protection in that area in the event of a nose change. They've been fine without one for decades.
Yeah I know it seems odd that after all these years they'd decide to throw a sheild there. And although carbon fibre is strong, the piece doesn't look strong enough to be structural, at least laterally or vertically. Just from looking at it, the only stengthening looks to be from some frontal impacting. Could it be just a transport feature when packing and unpacking the chassis?

So if it isn't a protective feature... what exactly is a "daffy duct"? And what would be the purpose of the ducted air? Curious.

bhall
bhall

Daffy Duct is just what I call DDRS. The term didn't catch on the way I hoped it would.

I'm still scratching my head on this one. Although I will say if they're using carbon fiber for superfluous protection during transport, then they deserve the fall afoul of the RRA.

Maybe it has something to do with the internal crash structure in the nose. There were grumblings that the team brought a new nose to Barcelona, but, as far as I know, no one could see anything new about it.

I guess I'm still leaning toward the Daffy Duct explanation. I don't think implementing one is nearly as difficult as Brawn has said every time he's gone out of this way to address the subject. To me, his comments have had a touch of a "me thinks thou doth protest too much" quality to them.

I still think Mercedes' DDRS is only activated from the slots in the rear wing and that it's actually fed from the scoop on top of the chassis. If that's so, it means that full carbon fiber duct work from the rear wing through the chassis to the front wing isn't necessarily required for it to operate. A fluidic valve should work with just a decent pliable hose.

At any rate, that would mean the carbon fiber structure attached to the bulkhead is likely a basket upon which things that were formerly mounted to the chassis itself are now attached in order to make room for whatever they have to install for the Daffy Duct system.

From my personal perspective, if they're doing this, I hope they're not forsaking other avenues of improvement because of it. I think the performance gains from a Daffy Duct are so marginal, especially this year, that no one is really even talking about it.

Gridlock

I'd say it's a Monaco special, you bring 6 front wings because it's not exactly unusual to end up munching them into walls - so to defend your car's availability you spend 15 grams on a little CF shield to make sure that if/when a driver goes beyond the limit you're less likely to compromise suspension and braking elements. Perhaps the F2012 is particularly vulnerable to this because of packaging or whatever.

Certainly looking at the design (open front, strong bracing to the bolts at rear) I'd say it's a bump protector and not designed to hide anything.

ETA: For instance, look at the piece and consider a wing torn off sideways - without that shield it's likely to take the fluid reservoirs with it, with it the damaged items should slide around them.
Last edited by Gridlock on 28 May 2012, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

I posted this(1st) picture during the Spanish GP weekend of Ferrari's new floor & diffuser which has 2 gurney flaps. I've searched through pictures of other cars and it doesn't seem that many teams are using 2 gurney flaps at the trailing edge of the diffuser. Interesting as I'm sure it's aiding downforce, but how much drag are both causing is what I'm wondering.

Spanish GP

Monaco

Another image

Kiril Varbanov

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I posted this(1st) picture during the Spanish GP weekend of Ferrari's new floor & diffuser which has 2 gurney flaps. I've searched through pictures of other cars and it doesn't seem that many teams are using 2 gurney flaps at the trailing edge of the diffuser. Interesting as I'm sure it's aiding downforce, but how much drag are both causing is what I'm wondering.
The answer is: it depends.
The proper way would be to find the optimal lift to drag ratio. The science tells us that there's no significant drag increase if gurney flap height is restricted to about 2% of chord (within boundary layer).