Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Chuckjr

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

It's an aero neutral camera housing. Nothing more.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Juzh

Surely having it on 1 side only is not an ideal situation?

Chuckjr

It's aero neutral. It has zero affect. It's simply for a camera, nothing more.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Juzh

bhall
bhall

It's not exactly aero-neutral. (Nothing is.) But, its competitive effect is somewhat neutralized by the regulations which stipulate that all cars must carry one camera, or an identical camera housing, in that area. Teams are given liberty to mount it pretty much wherever they want on the airbox or thereabout.

cemax
cemax

that piece was not always there. This image was on Thursday and was not

gray41

Was on the RB6.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

bhall
bhall

No one's obliged to fit cameras - or even run legal cars, for that matter - during testing.

shelly
shelly

Blackout wrote:A nice shot
in this picture I do not understand what causes the gray pattern in the right sidepod (on the left in the picture). I see an oblique almond shape in gray.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Nando
Nando

Sidepods looks awesome. Tiny inlets and the front part of the pods looking like evolution has carved them out over millions of years.
Most teams have inlets all the way out to the edge but here they curve in very nicely towards the inlet.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

amouzouris

What I take from the above picture is the amount of diffuser footplate that has been cut away. If I am not mistaken it is the largest of all the teams.

Signs of very good exhaust plume management

dren

amouzouris wrote:What I take from the above picture is the amount of diffuser footplate that has been cut away. If I am not mistaken it is the largest of all the teams.

Signs of very good exhaust plume management
I thought that as well, but I think also this is a very good angle to see the cut-out. The diffuser curves to the sides when looking from the back. The brake flip-ups cover the cut-out when viewing from the top. So I'm not so sure if this is that much better than other teams or if the angle is just right.
Honda!

Joie de vivre

I think this cut is the reason behind all the hiding the rear. That's pretty large cut.

Raptor22
Raptor22

Chuckjr wrote:It's aero neutral. It has zero affect. It's simply for a camera, nothing more.

Its not aero neutral, its lift neutral.

But its aerofoil section is known and it can be mounted where ever one pleases to exploit what you want to achieve with a lift neutral aerofoil.
In the RB9 case it looks like it might be helping the creation of vortices down the side of the fuselage which may have an effect on keeping airstreams bound around the suspension pick ups and monocoque sides.
Other teams use them as flow conditioners in the main wing center section to aid air flow to the splitter. Its allowed because it has to be carried and the teans are free to choose how best to offsets it weight and drag

Mr.G

Sorry guys but for me the car is getting uglier and uglier. It might be super fast but pretty ugly. It's just calculating (signature).
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts