Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: Red Bull RB5

I didn't know that their endplate was actually connected to the diffuser....

About the caliper, the mounting location seems to be a carry over from Newey's McLaren days....as far as the relation between brake torque and mounting and other consideration, there are several schools of thoughts out there and all have some reasoning to back it up. Some say you can use the brake's reaction torque on the mount to counteract the forces on the balljoint to lessen the load(and optimizing the geometry of the upright/ball joint better), there are ones that advocate CofG location like the RBR/McLaren, and there are ones that places it in the wheel base to minimize MOI. I am sure there are benefits of each...As far as bleeding brakes are concerned, since most of these calipers are custom to each car, they can probably relocated the bleedport to make that easier. Looking at the RBR car it looks like its not purely at 6 o'clock and that the rear portion of the caliper sits slightly further up, that'll probably faciliate a bleed port in that portion...

ISLAMATRON

except MCLaren no longer have the calipers mounted so low.

al_kar
al_kar

By the look of the front suspension it seems that the roll center of the whole suspension is low. That means that they have a little bit more traction than some other car with higher roll center in low traction contitions. Maybe that's what helped them in the rain in China.

PlatinumZealot

Another interesting fact. The RedBull has the steering rods near the upper control arm. The Brawn Has them on the lower control arm.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

noname
noname

Metar wrote:As for the RB5's integration of a double diffuser... How much of an effort would it be to repackage the rear as a pushrod again? From what I gather, it's not too different, as a system. Of course, it would mess up the whole point of the RB5's rear aerodynamics - but they're already going to go down the drain when a DDD is installed...
DDD is just one part of the system.

to make it work properly you may have to change the flow under the car to feed it properly. some changes of the upper body could have to be necessary.

you may need new gearbox casing that may lead to change of the stiffness of the car as it (gearbox) is a part of the car's backbone. I do not know how it looks inside but maybe something more than just the casing would have to be changed. maybe suspension pick-up points would have to be moved or reinforced ? secondary flow could be affected to the point that gearbox (or something else) may face overheating. what about brake fluids lines, sensors wiring ?

I am not the F1 expert, above just the few first thoughts. For sure I missed a lot, maybe some of the things I mentioned are not important, but for sure there is quite a few areas you do have to think about carefully.

after all this design work you have to go to the shop, then test it somehow (no track testing, only test bench). the whole process would take a while, it's not the overnight tweak.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Scania
Scania

I feel that something is different but I can't find out...
http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_102.jpg

there is something in front of lower level rear wing...
http://premium.f1-live.com/f1/photos-hi ... po_133.jpg

dp35
dp35

Are there any good photos of this car's rear suspension?

Scania
Scania

:shock:

se7725
se7725

I believe that is the radiator/sidepod exit or exhaust, Although I may be mistaken. If you look closely you can see that it ends at or a little after the axle.

Scania
Scania

Webber have no this part

djos

se7725 wrote:I believe that is the radiator/sidepod exit or exhaust, Although I may be mistaken. If you look closely you can see that it ends at or a little after the axle.
it's not the exhaust outlets, they are further forward.

The RB5 has always had this section but IIRC it was not quite this structured - I suspect Newey is using it as an interim DDD but fed by the Radiator cooling systems.
"In downforce we trust"

se7725
se7725

djos wrote:
se7725 wrote:I believe that is the radiator/sidepod exit or exhaust, Although I may be mistaken. If you look closely you can see that it ends at or a little after the axle.
it's not the exhaust outlets, they are further forward.

The RB5 has always had this section but IIRC it was not quite this structured - I suspect Newey is using it as an interim DDD but fed by the Radiator cooling systems.
Thats poor wording on my part, I didn't mean that it could be the engine exhaust. I was trying to say the exhaust/exit for the radiators/sidepods.

When I first saw where Newey put the sidepod exits it made me think he was trying to squeeze the air and speed it up before sending it out on top of the diffuser which would make it more efficient. I think in the next couple of years we could see "duct work" unassociated with cooling used to further speed the air up going over the diffuser and under the bottom wing.

ISLAMATRON

oops wrong car thead
Last edited by ISLAMATRON on 21 May 2009, 02:14, edited 2 times in total.

roost89
roost89

Islam, those pics are STR :)
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green