2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

I don't think the linked tweet has the direct quote

CHT
CHT

James Allison may have stopped working on W14 completely under the instruction of the team boss Toto. But it didn't say when he stopped working on W14. Could just be very recent since Merc has said that any positive development in W14 will be carry over to W15.

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Oct 2023, 20:40
Luscion wrote:
10 Oct 2023, 16:52
Apparently James Allison isnt touching the W14 at all, which makes sense

This is a confusing statement because James Allison returned as technical director at the beginning of the season. So the W14 had no technical director during the season? :wtf:

I strongly doubt the way this has been worded. Allison almost certainly had some input on the W14. Everything they have been testing with an eye towards the W15, will have been with his approval. The front suspension change almost certainly came with his blessing.
It was used as a test bed it seems. Iftaken absolutely, James had no involvement in directing and reviewing the "development" or maturation of the W14 concept. I reckon he only monitored the results of analysing the cars performance with and without experimental parts and how that data feeds into their models of the RedBull challenger he is creating.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Luscion
Luscion

Russell saying know there's a lot of flaws with the w14, know what to change and that they recently made some important aero discoveries, its towards the bottom of the article

https://www.formulapassion.it/motorspor ... sell-wolff

Luscion
Luscion

Toto on the W15 and admitting they dont fully understand the W14

“For 2024 we will change a lot, trying to get back to basics. I no longer want to hear Lewis saying: ‘I’m sitting too far forward in the cockpit’, suspension mechanisms that we don’t understand and so on. Let’s be decisive about what we understand and what we don’t understand we have to put aside: it’s not about technical sophistication but about solid engineering.”

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-wo ... /10531550/

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Luscion wrote:
11 Oct 2023, 14:39

“For 2024 we will change a lot, trying to get back to basics. I no longer want to hear Lewis saying: ‘I’m sitting too far forward in the cockpit’, suspension mechanisms that we don’t understand and so on. Let’s be decisive about what we understand and what we don’t understand we have to put aside: it’s not about technical sophistication but about solid engineering.”

Wow, that doesn't sound too hopeful, does it? :shock:

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Regarding the planned floor update at the US GP:

https://f1i.com/news/489769-mercedes-us ... -2024.html

Luscion
Luscion

Bill_Kar wrote:
11 Oct 2023, 17:27
Luscion wrote:
11 Oct 2023, 14:39

Wow, that doesn't sound too hopeful, does it? :shock:
maybe im too optimistic but to me it reads as them not trying to make a crazy new concept like they did with the w13, with the w13 they went in a completely new direction different to everyone on the grid thinking they had a beast and they were dead wrong.They're listening to what the drivers want from the car and they're changing the suspension, before they didnt seem to realize how much it played into having a good car then AM rocked up in bahrain and were the second fastest. Pair it with russell saying they know exactly whats wrong with the w14 and they made important aero discoveries, i dont think its bad.
Last edited by Luscion on 11 Oct 2023, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I know they said they will change the cockpit position for Hamilton, but what could they be referring to regarding the "suspension mechanisms we don't understand"?
A lion must kill its prey.

Luscion
Luscion

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Oct 2023, 17:50
I know they said they will change the cockpit position for Hamilton, but what could they be referring to regarding the "suspension mechanisms we don't understand"?
i think he just means that they didnt understand the suspension for the ground effect cars initially and only changed the front suspension when AM rocked up and was second faster this year and Merc knew the AM was basically half their car. Shovlin talked about how they found a rich seem of development with suspension after changing theirs in this article

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... /10481878/

chrisc90

Didnt they change the front suspension layout around the Monaco time?

Still doesnt read very well that they dont know where their problems lie. How can they test a 2024 base spec part on the W14 if they dont know what they are looking for?

denyall

I think you all are reading way too much into these comments from the team.

Do you really think Mercedes would come out and say we have no idea what we're doing?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

denyall wrote:
11 Oct 2023, 19:20
I think you all are reading way too much into these comments from the team.

Do you really think Mercedes would come out and say we have no idea what we're doing?
They have done that several times in the past.

What is your take on the comments? What they say to the press is all we have to go off of.

organic

Antonelli is doing f2 next year already. Skipping F3 entirely, despite not completely dominating freca

Considering Hamilton is sticking around for at least until the end of 2026, what are they rushing Antonelli for? There will be at least 3 more seasons until the possibility of a Merc seat opens

It could end up in a bit of a mess

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
12 Oct 2023, 01:05
Antonelli is doing f2 next year already. Skipping F3 entirely, despite not completely dominating freca

Considering Hamilton is sticking around for at least until the end of 2026, what are they rushing Antonelli for? There will be at least 3 more seasons until the possibility of a Merc seat opens

It could end up in a bit of a mess
It's not confirmed that he's doing F2 next season. There's an article (either formula-passion or formula_uno) where Toto suggest they are not rushing things. He'll probably do F3.

Mercedes historically doesn't debut rookies anyway.