2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 15:00
ollandos wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 14:43
Smallsoldiers assessment was spot on. It really seems deployment and DRS related in terms of speed at end of the straights. The RB19 just keeps climbing up past 305kmh
That early in the lap and on a shorter straight, I'm not so sure it is deployment, that's not yo say their isn't an issue later in the lap. But DRS and drag seem to be a part, RB clearly have some trick of being slipper with DRS open.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Seriously though. I would prefer if both drivers do a clean start and keep themselves in front of the Ferraris. I wouldn't go anywhere near Verstappen as he is a dangerous driver in terms of defending or attacking.

In any case despite today's result noone can deny that after these changes in the team which brought this package the team has made a huge leap. Don't forget that before Austria the car had problems getting to Q3 and sometimes to Q2 and the race pace was also horrendous. Our drivers need starting from the front row more times to gain experience in terms of attacking, defending and fighting in the front row.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Hoping for a clean start and good points, anything more would be a nice bonus but I need to try and keep my expectations in check for my own health. :lol:

Darth-Piekus

Slahinki wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 15:45
Hoping for a clean start and good points, anything more would be a nice bonus but I need to try and keep my expectations in check for my own health. :lol:
As someone who is watching F1 since 1988 it's so anxious praying for a clean start in the front row especially when you are battling a driver that does everything to stay first. In any case I am positive that we might be able take the fight to Verstappen since he will not have the DRS that gives him extra speed when he is 1st. We definately have to take the fight to Verstappen in order to gain distance and out of DRS from the Ferraris. The waiting is killing me.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

OK, will check in after the race, I do not have the heart for this one.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

I must say that it was so good seeing Lando leading for 5 laps if you think that this car was nowhere near top 10 a few races back.

organic

The pace looks rather good... Norris hanging onto Max's DRS

Darth-Piekus

Rejoice. Both of our drivers are faster than everyone else and try to keep up with Verstappen when a few races back they couldn't go into top 10.

saputra_25
saputra_25

pace under heavy fuel load with medium tyre, look really competitive guys, both drivers can keep up with Max pace

Darth-Piekus

Let's see how much our drivers will be able to be close to Verstappen. I'm not expecting us to beat him as it is obvious Red Bull is still a faster car but at least we can fight for P2 and P3.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 09 Jul 2023, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Yes we have a fast car here.

The RB has helped pull us along in DRS but now we are out of DRS we are dropping much quicker.

The gap to Leclerc is now being maintained, so strategy and undercuts are paramount. Ferrari are the threat here right now.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

You'd have got good odds on leading legitimately a grand prix not long ago!

mwillems

Correction, gap to Leclerc is growing again.

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Verstappen seems to have escaped more than 2 seconds as expected. It's now time to try and keep P2 and P3. Still very good result from the team so far when remembering where the team used to be two races back. The good thing is that we haven't finished with the upgrade yet. We might be able to take the fight to Red Bull next race literally for much longer. As long as the new parts will give the team a way to reduce drag and increase downforce that is.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 09 Jul 2023, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

It's dropped back to 3.5 lol

On a par with the red car right now, but managing the tyres.

-Bandit