Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
italian
italian

Re: Ferrari F2012

Autosprint says that Ferrari needs to recover downforce in Canada even if it costs a bit of power. In this way they could reduce the drag generated by the rear wing and increase the effect of the DRS as well. The loss of power is caused by the shape of the exhaust system.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

pisco
pisco

For Montreal surely they will test original Acerduct and now if they work properly they will have more downforce so must be possible change front and rear wings to avoid some % drag. Few horsepower less are compensate with increased speed and downforce in all conditions even tires life and grip........I hope :):)

Kiril Varbanov

italian wrote:Autosprint says that Ferrari needs to recover downforce in Canada even if it costs a bit of power. In this way they could reduce the drag generated by the rear wing and increase the effect of the DRS as well. The loss of power is caused by the shape of the exhaust system.
This is the part I don't understand - no disrespect to Autosprint, but these are just general statements without telling anything in specific. Why specifically the shape of exhausts should be related to loss of power? I'm not saying it isn't true, just want to know why exactly.
Of course that if they achieve better downforce generated at the wheels directly, they can go for low-drag rear wing configuration. Certainly, that's expected for the other teams as well.
The prerequisite would be, however, an exhaust close to the original design, I presume.

Also, more durable brake disks should be expected, as Canada's downforce leves are medium, but brakes are very busy.

shelly
shelly

Autosprint is always too generic in my opinion. Also it is giving sometimes not correct info: for example I recall an engineer from a team saying last year that montreal is no more a low downforce track as in the past, because of drs. teams bring barcelona levels of downforce he said. It is a significant change that undermines all the line of reasoning of their article.

@kirl: probably autosprint meant that acer duct positioning implies a suboptimal path for exhausts' acoustics, leading to some power loss
twitter: @armchair_aero

Kiril Varbanov

shelly wrote: @kirl: probably autosprint meant that acer duct positioning implies a suboptimal path for exhausts' acoustics, leading to some power loss
@Shelly, I agree, the decision for best power output is the diameter of the pipe, the length, and as less as possible steps.
Massa is reported to run Monaco spec?

alogoc
alogoc

THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

alogoc wrote:http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3880/newwings1.png

why was this abandoned?
There's nothing to abandon. The circled part is only part of the car. I learned this the hard way.

bhall
bhall

:lol:

jaba.hut

Even after 3 months it is for a flash moment deceiving again. Light trick!

C Plinius Secundus
C Plinius Secundus

FakeAlonso wrote:Image
Just look at picture at the top of the Autosprint page. The curves of the lower section are close to perfect, the balance between curve and straight, the attention to detail, the balance, how it gracefully narrows from top to bottom… Even the way the light gets reflected! Slimply perfect!.…… oh, and the little Ferrari at the left doesn't look bad. :D

alogoc
alogoc

Ferrari will try modified version of ACER duct exhaust,internal aero is not good but will not be changed!

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/18634/ ... -in-canada
THE F2012!

Teechnical

Maybe for a future update, they can play around with the nose a bit, and sorta bring a new one, something like Mercedes or Redbull.
Also, wanted to ask, can poor front traction be caused by a FW end plate not entirely diverting air away from the tyres?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

alogoc
alogoc

Teechnical wrote:Maybe for a future update, they can play around with the nose a bit, and sorta bring a new one, something like Mercedes or Redbull.
Also, wanted to ask, can poor front traction be caused by a FW end plate not entirely diverting air away from the tyres?

But the word is F2012 has great front end grip,part of the reason why Alonso is so good Massa not!

the rear is said to be the problem!?
THE F2012!

italian
italian

Kiril Varbanov wrote: This is the part I don't understand - no disrespect to Autosprint, but these are just general statements without telling anything in specific. Why specifically the shape of exhausts should be related to loss of power? I'm not saying it isn't true, just want to know why exactly.
I know that a different shape changes the pressure waves near the exit of the exhaust. Is this possible? Can this cause the loss of power? Maybe I've read it somewhere but I can't find the source, I don't remember it. Sorry. :(
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
italian wrote:Autosprint says that Ferrari needs to recover downforce in Canada even if it costs a bit of power. In this way they could reduce the drag generated by the rear wing and increase the effect of the DRS as well. The loss of power is caused by the shape of the exhaust system.
This is the part I don't understand - no disrespect to Autosprint, but these are just general statements without telling anything in specific. Why specifically the shape of exhausts should be related to loss of power? I'm not saying it isn't true, just want to know why exactly.
Of course that if they achieve better downforce generated at the wheels directly, they can go for low-drag rear wing configuration. Certainly, that's expected for the other teams as well.
The prerequisite would be, however, an exhaust close to the original design, I presume.

Also, more durable brake disks should be expected, as Canada's downforce leves are medium, but brakes are very busy.
RE: the exhausts

I'm not sure that length of the pipes is so crucial anymore because the engines now have a limited RPM.