2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andi76
Andi76

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

FNTC wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:21
JordanMugen wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:17
Is it possible that Red Bull are struggling without Newey's input into development direction at the factory and car setup at the track, or is it unrelated to that? :?: :)

Or does Red Bull Racing already have a good plan to improve the car balance and revert ineffective upgrades in place of effective ones? :)

Personally I think the choice to develop an "old" RB19 engine cover package (and internals) just for high downforce races seemed kind of strange (almost like a sign of a team which is lost?). That Hungary/Zandvoort/Singapore package doesn't seem like an efficient use of resources (please correct me if I'm mistaken)? :?:
Bingo. Ever since Newey stopped working on the car, the performance has gone off a cliff...
One of Newey's strengths was indeed finding solutions to problems with the set-up of the cars. But you have to be realistic here - Newey is not the all-knowing great master and the others complete idiots. Because that's exactly how it should be if you look at Red Bull's results and development over the last few weeks and months, because a car that has been playfully driving everything and everyone into the ground has suddenly become a car that is 0.5 seconds behind Ferrari, a car that is not exactly known for its positive development... and that has nothing to do with a few set-up "tricks" by a extremely good engineer. There's something else behind it if you are honest. Unless you want to continue being naive...

Vettel165

Yeah I think we lost the WDC today. It would be an absolute miracle if Max brings it home. A sad day for me as a fan... Dont know what to say, its f1/racing. You never know what you can expect.

Sergej
Sergej

Vettel165 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:37
Yeah I think we lost the WDC today. It would be an absolute miracle if Max brings it home. A sad day for me as a fan... Dont know what to say, its f1/racing. You never know what you can expect.
yes, if you do some maths, accounting that in 2 races we have the nightmare Singapore, you see that the gap in points will be halved

either they bring some seriously working upgrades in Austin or the wdc is gone

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:36
Ah well p7 is not so bad at Monza with a long run to T1. Can get some places at the start and be in the thick of it by the first pitstop
Having to rely so much on Max being the best driver on the grid at some point won't end well, and not just on the WDC fight part. He could get tired of carrying Red Bull behind his back.

Andi76
Andi76

Vettel165 wrote:
I wouldn't go that far yet, but it does indeed look nasty. The car practically got worse a few races ago and the answers are missing. Neither alone would be worrying. Both McLaren and Ferrari or Mercedes have gone through similar experiences. The subtle difference with Red Bull, in my opinion, is that they have lost too much know-how and lack leadership. Newey, Marshall, Wheatley are just three names whose absence has had a massive impact. In the end, Jos Verstappen was probably right - Horner has destroyed the team. Or maybe it wasn't Horner's fault. But the bloodletting of know-how at Red Bull makes me doubt that they are able to find the necessary answers that others with an intact hierarchy and structure have needed for a long time...such big departures simply have an effect, even if, in my opinion, something else has also played a role here, however much it has been denied.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sergej wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 17:49
Vettel165 wrote:
yes, if you do some maths, accounting that in 2 races we have the nightmare Singapore, you see that the gap in points will be halved

either they bring some seriously working upgrades in Austin or the wdc is gone
I agree at this point. If the team doesn’t bring a workable update, they can’t win the WDC.

I already discussed this after Zandvoort how the gap is not real until the last race. They will have shockers with this current car in Brazil, Mexico, Singapore, and even Baku. This is enough to lose the championship.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

Newey betrayed the team by leaving in the middle of the season.

FNTC
FNTC

pantherxxx wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:07
Newey betrayed the team by leaving in the middle of the season.
One could argue this all happened due to Horner though.

organic

If they lose this WDC it will be due solely to technical missteps and lack of understanding. With this generation of car it's pretty easy to have these. Obviously it's not an ideal situation, but it's far better than having the best car and losing it due to sporting reasons (crashes, DNFs, strategy mistakes etc) which almost happened in 2021

Xyz22
Xyz22

This is even worse than Aston Martin last year, even though i'm expecting a stronger race pace.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Xyz22 wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:16
This is even worse than Aston Martin last year, even though i'm expecting a stronger race pace.
We still would have to see Red Bull spinning around dead last in Q1 for that. But yeah its not going well. They did tick the Aston box of running mixed specs during the race for data acquisition due to not having a clue, though.
Last edited by KimiRai on 31 Aug 2024, 18:30, edited 4 times in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

The final lap looks completely off compared to the Q2 runs.
Were mistakes by Max or the car wasn't working?

FNTC
FNTC

Someone wrote here earlier that checo went off in front of him messing up his last run

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FNTC wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:31
Someone wrote here earlier that checo went off in front of him messing up his last run
The sad thing is after Perez messed up, he apologized and immediately asked to give Max a tow. His engineer is very inexperienced and didn’t know what was going on. He told Checo not to because he was “4 seconds back” but this was an outdated gap. That is the real reason that Perez did not continue to tow. Confusion from pitwall.

I agree with what was written earlier. Too many pieces of the winning team are missing. Even the absence of Perez’s normal engineer due to paternal leave showed in the way the tow was managed on the final run. The reason that nothing works anymore is because the people that are left are not strong enough to figure it out. Many people have just started filling shoes of those who left. It takes time to become proficient in all areas again.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Has Newey stopped being involved in car development since he announced that he is leaving?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."