2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

selvam_e2002 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:40
so what is next for AMR?
In the short term, that this next package does what is expected. Hungary one apparently had good correlation but it was a sidestep with little gain. In theory this next one will bring more performance, but as we know with Aston Martin nothing can be guaranteed

KimiRai wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 21:30
The Spaniard hinted after qualifying that the factory is preparing a package of evolutions in which there is hope of real improvement, and which will arrive at some point in the final third of the season. It would be a help to move away from Williams, Haas or Alpine and get closer to the big four that now share all the podiums and almost all the points.

On the evolutions that were missing, and those that need to come: "It's a mixture of things that went wrong during the season. Some packages were an improvement and some were a step backwards. In some cases, a side step that didn't really change the performance of the car. We are still waiting for that big improvement that will give us three tenths and bring us closer to the top teams. I know the team is working very hard to bring in new parts for the next few races and there is reasonable optimism around those parts. I think we will finish the season a bit better than we are at the moment. But the last four or five races have been difficult for us."

Why [do you trust] this package? "I'm optimistic we didn't develop the car enough this year but every time that happens you do a deep analysis of what has happened. And the more difficulties you have, the more hard lessons you learn."
https://as.com/motor/formula_1/prefiero ... -cerebro-n

bananapeel23

Did Alonso have a DRS issue? I remember seeing him overtake someone (maybe Bottas or Kmag) down the main straight without his rear wing opening, which I found to be odd.

peewon

NAPI10 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:49
peewon wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:40
SSJ4 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:27

We were definitely quicker than albon and magnussen today

Yeah they had similar pace. Albon's tyres were only a few laps newer. Not enough to offset the gap and overtake because following to close distance would have worn them out even more. 1 stop was the better strategy up and down the field and AM's position simply did not require a gamble. They were in the best position behind the top 8.
In Piastri's words,"Everyone becomes F1 Legend after checkered flag".It was not an easy call specially the way AMR24 treat tires in race mode.
I mean multiple people made that call before the chequered flag so clearly didnt require some genius level thinking to come up with it. It was a close decision and I can understand it was a 50-50 call for Mclaren who had more variables to worry about. They were racing each other and had to cover off multiple people.

But AM only had Albon realistically with KMag's penalty. I know AM arent great at tyre management but we had HAAS and Williams 1 stopping. Not exactly known for next level tyre preservation either. If anyone behind AM stopped, they had enough of a margin to respond without losing position.

Sedaxel
Sedaxel

Superb race from ALO. It's incredible there's still some guys suggesting he's getting old, in bad form, etc.

If it wasn't for ALO, the team would be dealing for P17.

I want to believe in coming upgrades... But given the facts of last 1.5 years, not too much room for optimism, sadly.

Nikosar
Nikosar

Great race, the strategy was good they indeed undercut Albon. But then it was a pure lack of pace to fight… not sure that they will bring upgrade to Baku but until then, it will be the same weekend every race.

diffuser

bananapeel23 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:42
Did Alonso have a DRS issue? I remember seeing him overtake someone (maybe Bottas or Kmag) down the main straight without his rear wing opening, which I found to be odd.
He did on 1 pass. It worked every other time.

NAPI10
NAPI10

peewon wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:12
NAPI10 wrote:
peewon wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:40

Yeah they had similar pace. Albon's tyres were only a few laps newer. Not enough to offset the gap and overtake because following to close distance would have worn them out even more. 1 stop was the better strategy up and down the field and AM's position simply did not require a gamble. They were in the best position behind the top 8.
In Piastri's words,"Everyone becomes F1 Legend after checkered flag".It was not an easy call specially the way AMR24 treat tires in race mode.
I mean multiple people made that call before the chequered flag so clearly didnt require some genius level thinking to come up with it. It was a close decision and I can understand it was a 50-50 call for Mclaren who had more variables to worry about. They were racing each other and had to cover off multiple people.

But AM only had Albon realistically with KMag's penalty. I know AM arent great at tyre management but we had HAAS and Williams 1 stopping. Not exactly known for next level tyre preservation either. If anyone behind AM stopped, they had enough of a margin to respond without losing position.
May be ‘AM Strategist’ enjoy genius level thinking and ignore such ‘Obvious’ choices predicted by outsiders.They believe in making Driver’s life harder.

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 01:56
peewon wrote:
NAPI10 wrote:

May be ‘AM Strategist’ enjoy genius level thinking and ignore such ‘Obvious’ choices predicted by outsiders.They believe in making Driver’s life harder.
I get, that they finished out of the points but they were pretty close. It's not like they were way off. A 90min race came down to a difference of less than1 second from 11th to 9th.

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

Alonso said they needed stop twice because Aston "eat the tyres" they never would stop 1 and still have that pace. The monza pace is more interesting comparing to Zandvoort where they didnt have pace and monza is not fit for this car, but, the only hope is the new upgrades in next race or singapore ( i think) those pieces NEEDS improve the car, doesnt matter how better car will be, but NEED WORKS as expected, or all things will be lost for 2025.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Alonso's gap to Magnussen dropped from 5.5s to 4.0 between lap 34 & 36 before he stopped. Doubt tyres would have lasted.

Anyways it just shows the car is terrible. Newey or not, they need to do a better job with the resources they currently have, excuses have run out

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Rikrikrik wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 03:02
Alonso said they needed stop twice because Aston "eat the tyres" they never would stop 1 and still have that pace. The monza pace is more interesting comparing to Zandvoort where they didnt have pace and monza is not fit for this car, but, the only hope is the new upgrades in next race or singapore ( i think) those pieces NEEDS improve the car, doesnt matter how better car will be, but NEED WORKS as expected, or all things will be lost for 2025.
All updated or upgrades was working what they crafted down, in the simulation and wind tunnel otherwise they didn't craft it down. Simple as it is! If we compare the amr23 or even the last year car Redbull to the amr24 then the 24 car is much faster. They upgrade rate or efficiency is low.

Nikosar
Nikosar

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 09:52
Rikrikrik wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 03:02
All updated or upgrades was working what they crafted down, in the simulation and wind tunnel otherwise they didn't craft it down. Simple as it is! If we compare the amr23 or even the last year car Redbull to the amr24 then the 24 car is much faster. They upgrade rate or efficiency is low.
I remember when Allision quoted saying, "How could we be so dumb?!" SO IMHO: even though every car is different, this ground effect era has a hidden way of working, and if the team doesn't have a full understanding of where exactly down force should be added to the car and gain performance from it, the result will always be the same: you add one thing and lose another or you think you gained some but the car becomes undriveable.

Is understood that Red Bull found it first, then Rob Marshall went to Mclaren and gifted it to them. Allison seems to have found it as well. Maybe Newey can share it with Fallows :D

-wkst-
-wkst-

Mercedes are very good in talking, but if it’s not cold they are not competitive as well (at another level of course).

peewon

NAPI10 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 01:56
peewon wrote:
NAPI10 wrote:

Maybe. Or maybe they arent good. They have been called out by a rival team publicly for throwing away a win.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/208618/h ... onaco.html

I cant remember a single race where you looked at AM strategy and thought it helped them steal a few positions.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 03:14
Alonso's gap to Magnussen dropped from 5.5s to 4.0 between lap 34 & 36 before he stopped. Doubt tyres would have lasted.

Anyways it just shows the car is terrible. Newey or not, they need to do a better job with the resources they currently have, excuses have run out
Alonso pitted lap 35. Would have to check if there were any mitigating factors but Magnussen would have had to pass and open up a 10 sec gap to get the position. He was only faster by 3-4 tenths on average and he clearly upped his pace on lap 26, maybe realizing tyre wear isnt bad. Alonso was just outside the 10 sec gap with 2-3 laps to go but couldnt close any further. Last 3 laps, Magnussen was quicker by a tenth or so on tyres that 21 laps older. Either they are now complete level below HAAS or tyre wear wasnt as bad as some teams anticipated.