2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
loekf2
loekf2

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

DDopey wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 10:26
I am so confused when Iread these comments. Now Newey did not only run the car design, he also was in the lead with the car setup during the weekends. And that within een organization of 1800 people. It’s really amazing.
In theory any organization should be able to cope with e.g. the departures of Wheatley, Newey, Fallows etc. as long as you think ahead and move new talent in time through the organization.

For some reason they went into the wrong direction with the RB20, they thought it would open up new directions, but they hit a ceiling quite fast.

Think it happeneded before a few years back when Newey had to step in. RB16 ?

Sergej
Sergej

loekf2 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 10:41
DDopey wrote:
I am so confused when Iread these comments. Now Newey did not only run the car design, he also was in the lead with the car setup during the weekends. And that within een organization of 1800 people. It’s really amazing.
yes, in mid-2021 he had a serious cycling accident in Croatia in which he suffered a fractured skull, he was away from the trackside (obviously) and in that phase Red Bull suffered a bit setup wise, just to come back on form when he recovered

here's a random sentence from Marko after Turkey 2021: “He is now not fully fit but is ready to do his job and has immediately recognised the difficulties we had here [Turkey] in terms of set-up,” Marko added.

I don't know how involved he was in the design and development of RB20, I think this will remain a mystery for long time, but he surely was an allround inspiring technician whose absence is hurting.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Sergej wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 11:03
loekf2 wrote:
DDopey wrote:
yes, in mid-2021 he had a serious cycling accident in Croatia in which he suffered a fractured skull, he was away from the trackside (obviously) and in that phase Red Bull suffered a bit setup wise, just to come back on form when he recovered

here's a random sentence from Marko after Turkey 2021: “He is now not fully fit but is ready to do his job and has immediately recognised the difficulties we had here [Turkey] in terms of set-up,” Marko added.

I don't know how involved he was in the design and development of RB20, I think this will remain a mystery for long time, but he surely was an allround inspiring technician whose absence is hurting.
Roads is Croatia are pure perfection that is impossible.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Juzh

GoranF1 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 11:06
Sergej wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 11:03
loekf2 wrote:

Yes, because perfect roads make it impossible to fall off a bike for a million different reasons. You seem very impartial.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/254183/a ... oatia.html
One of the most successful Formula 1 designers ever, Adrian Newey, faced a tough personal battle. In mid-2021, the Briton had a serious cycling accident in Croatia in which he suffered a fractured skull. Former F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone and Red Bull Racing team boss Christian Horner came to his aid, which has prevented worse damage.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

GoranF1 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 11:06
Perhaps the perfect Croatian roads made Newey overspeed on his bike, leading to his crash?
I'm blaming Croatian infrastructure for his crash. :mrgreen:

avantman
avantman

gshevlin wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 04:30
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 21:43
Red Bull is in the midst of a downfall, but Pérez is becoming more and more consistent. Pérez truly seems to prefer slower cars.
What Sergio prefers is a car with a neutral to understeer tendency, like many drivers. Max can tolerate more oversteer, so, like Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher before him, he likes a car with a strong front end that turns in sharply and quickly on corner entry, allowing him to then balance the oversteer as he accelerates past the apex.
Sergio's reputation for tyre preservation comes from his car being more neutral, which degrades the tyres more evenly. His style is more like the "glider" style of Lauda and Prost.
The design of the car is such as to make it faster when Max drives it...if it is working as designed. Currently, it is not.
Lewis Hamilton is anything like that. He likes the car with very stable and planted rear end, on the entry/under braking, first phase of the corner in general, that allows him to [trail-]brake as late and as hard as he does.. doesn't mean he likes big understeer, but he likes very gentle one. He can cope with oversteer(better with a lot of other drivers) but thats not his driving style and that doesn't make him any faster. Michael Schumacher and Max Verstappen are very different.

TNTHead

DDopey wrote:
I am confused by the comments as well...
Don't they have a simulator calibrated with on track data, a sim driver and a group of performance engineers etc.?

Being dependent on one genius mind makes you really vulnerable. And nowadays in the age of AI one would assume that part of the engineering and design philosophy can be integrated in the moddeling tools.
Last edited by TNTHead on 01 Sep 2024, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Dee
Dee

Its not for nothing that Jos said that the whole team would collapse if Horner didn't go.

He knew how influential Newey was to the car and how many people would leave after the fact.

Now we are seeing it.

Imo Verstappens, Marko, Newey and Wheatley orchestrated that leak to push Horner out, who else would have the insider knowledge and contacts to do it? (The PA was also Neweys PA).

I also think Marshall left because of what Horner was doing which started when Mateschitz died before he could complete the Red Bull Racing merger with Porsche.

Horner collapsed the deal and switched to Ford and starting working to gain full control with the backing of the Thai RB owners. This happened in 2022. Marshall left in 2023.

I doubt anyone in RB has a lot of confidence in Ford and in turn Perez, who Horner is keeping on board to link up with Ford and the American market in 2026.

venkyhere
venkyhere

The only chance Redbull have to get within P5 is an aggressive 2 stop, without tyre management, without bothering what others are doing, and hoping to luck with a safety car. If they go for a one stop and are 'defending for position Px' towards the end of the race, they are sitting ducks with their choice of wings, even if they have a DRS tow from someone in front of them. The only way for Redbull to 'utilize' that higher-DF draggier car, is to have a big tyre offset (H-H-M will help) and attack from behind, towards the end ; in which case, they wouldn't need to wait for the straights to overtake in the closing stages of the race, when batteries will be drained.

Instead of that, if they do the conventional 'start on M, and then we will see the deg for us and others and then decide' , I have no doubts that they will finish P7 and P8 itself.

Wouter

Well, the next top important guy is leaving. Max his electronic boss.

Adam Wootton
🏎🦖🇲🇹🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Electronics for @maxverstappen1

The Power of Dreams!

Sergej
Sergej

let's see if someone is able to make the one stop work, if you can keep degradation under control it'll be much faster than 2 stops

it could be a very interesting race strategy wise

maxxer
maxxer

TNTHead wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 13:04
DDopey wrote:
I am confused by the comments as well...
Don't they have a simulator calibrated with on track data, a sim driver and a group of performance engineers etc.?

Being dependent on one genius mind makes you really vulnerable. And nowadays in the age of AI one would assume that part of the enguneering and design philosophy can be integrated in the moddeling tools.
Adrian took a step back long ago already. Ithink around 2018 he was done with the regulations and wanted to have different projects. He came back as everyone else made a mess

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sergej wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 14:17
let's see if someone is able to make the one stop work, if you can keep degradation under control it'll be much faster than 2 stops

Ferrari will 1 stop easily. They have had zero tire deg all weekend. Their race sims were done with tires that had 8 laps already. Leclerc set his best FP2 time on 10-11 lap old softs.

Sergej
Sergej

hoping for a clean start, avoiding T1 carnage

Sergej
Sergej

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 14:25
Sergej wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 14:17

Ferrari will 1 stop easily. They have had zero tire deg all weekend. Their race sims were done with tires that had 8 laps already. Leclerc set his best FP2 time on 10-11 lap old softs.
well, maybe not that easily

I think we are in a good position right now