A shameless image thread for the enginephiles

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: A shameless thread for the enginephiles

This is the 1952 Cummins Indianapolis pole-sitter with a 139 mph lap, 138 average over four laps, powered by a 400 ci,
or 6.6 liter, 6-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine that produced 380 horsepower.

Does anyone have some images of this engine, reportedly tilted on its side for lower CoG and frontal area?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

flynfrog

xpensive wrote:This is the 1952 Cummins Indianapolis pole-sitter with a 139 mph lap, 138 average over four laps, powered by a 400 ci,
or 6.6 liter, 6-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine that produced 380 horsepower.

http://stevemckelvie.files.wordpress.co ... =640&h=412

Does anyone have some images of this engine, reportedly tilted on its side for lower CoG and frontal area?
I swear I have seen them X. The car might be at the indy musem. I did find this while looking

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/maserati/page/3/
This is a clipping from a 1952 issue of the old Speed Age magazine, and I’ll tell you what, we had some real problems with this one for a while. Out of a sense of journalistic duty, we always try and get some handle on the accuracy of something we post here. We learned that there is a ton of history in just this one photo. In 1950, top-level international racing was transitioning to new rules that became today’s Formula 1. The three surviving Maserati brothers – Ernesto, Ettore and Bindo – had recently ended their 10-year contractual association with the Orsi family, which had bought Maserati, the car, in 1937. Legal reasons also prevented the brothers from reorganizing under the Maserati name, so they formed O.S.C.A., for Officina Specializzata Costruzione Automobili, in Bologna. The brothers started work on a 60-degree V-12 for Amedee Gordini, and kept going when Gordini’s backer, Simca, pulled its support. The engine was a delight, twin camshafts on each hemispherical head despite only two valves per cylinder, triple Weber carburetion and about 290hp. Look at the wonderful interplay between the dual Marelli distributors at the front of the engine. Just three such engines were built, and the most famous creation they powered was two cars campaigned by Prince Bira of Thailand, one in a 4CLT as a unique Maserati/O.S.C.A. crossbreed, then in an O.S.C.A.-built Tipo C chassis in which Bira won the on Easter Monday at Goodwood. That car has since been recovered by the late Tom Wheatcroft, restored and placed in his Donington Park collection.

flynfrog

flynfrog

found some more but they are on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 233&type=3

xpensive
xpensive

Great stuff Flyn, xactly what I was looking for, what a piece of art!

gruntguru
gruntguru

Two things jump out of that photo. First the engine is laid over so severely, it looks horizontal. With the Indy 500 driven counterclockwise, the g forces are exaggerating the apparent tilt even further, pushing oil towards the cylinder head. That would require a scavenge pump pickup in the rocker cover.

Secondly - three rockers per cylinder. I doubt it has three valves per cylinder so - unit injector?

EDIT. Just watched the video. Is that exhaust smoke as the car comes off the turns? Perhaps they should have laid the engine over the other way?
je suis charlie

xpensive
xpensive

Two things jumps out on the engine-layout; It was laying down with a 5 degree angle to the horizontal,
while it also had an offset driveline, giving an asymmetrical lateral CoG helping when turning left.

nismo

Mercedes 500k.

Beautiful.

RicerDude

Lagonda V12
So elegant.
Last edited by RicerDude on 14 Aug 2014, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

dren

Dodge Charger Hellcat Powerplant:
6.2L Hemi V8
2.4L Twin Scroll Blower
Max boost 11.6psi
707 HP
650 ft-lbs
Last edited by dren on 15 Aug 2014, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Honda!

flynfrog

Always like the 4 cam ford with the lincoln intake on it

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

gruntguru wrote:EDIT. Just watched the video. Is that exhaust smoke as the car comes off the turns? Perhaps they should have laid the engine over the other way?
Smoke is standard operating procedure for a diesel of that period under load, street or racing.

Brian

gruntguru
gruntguru

White smoke - i.e. oil burning?
je suis charlie

riff_raff
riff_raff

The Cummins diesel Indy Car was a clever idea. During that period of Indy Car racing pit stops accounted for a large amount of time. The designers of the Cummins turbo diesel car figured they could go the distance without refueling. And the slow throttle response of their diesel was not an issue with an oval track race.

The reason the car did not win was because the tires could not handle the added weight and torque of the diesel engine.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

strad

More in depth video if anyone wants
http://www.stradsplace.com/VIDEOS/1952_ ... AtIndy.wmv
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss