2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

techman wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 02:03
believe me
Believe the biggest McLaren hater in the forum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andres125sx

Just a question, there was some kind of limit to man hours each time employ?

etusch

Squid wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 02:43
mclaren111 wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 15:33
F1i.com
Boullier:

"It's only normal for Renault to give reliability the utmost importance, especially with the introduction this year of the new three-engine limit. I need that reliability.

"In the past three years, McLaren has been missing data related to tyre degradation, brake cooling, fuel consumption"

"Now, we can regain a few habits that we had lost. For example, we're doing pit stop practice once again, something we had temporarily discarded in order to work on the engine."

Interesting comments.
Not surprised that this is coming from Boullier's mouth. The Honda engine was responsible for a lot of the season's failures, but to pin the blame on it for McLaren's shitty pit stops is beyond ridiculous. McLaren has been notorious for bad pit stops since way before Honda.
This comment of Bollier shows how sincer they are. I saw Mercedes pit stop training and it is not needed a working engine for that.

proteus

techman wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 02:03
Boullier:

"It's only normal for Renault to give reliability the utmost importance, especially with the introduction this year of the new three-engine limit. I need that reliability.

"In the past three years, McLaren has been missing data related to tyre degradation, brake cooling, fuel consumption"

"Now, we can regain a few habits that we had lost. For example, we're doing pit stop practice once again, something we had temporarily discarded in order to work on the engine."
so funny the number of excuses mclaren and EB ditch out, just to put honda down. i have seen pitstop practices when the pit crew push the car into the pitstop and change tyres and they do them in their factories and all teams do this except mclaren? another excuses to hide their performances under the disguise of honda engine issue. believe me there will be more excuse coming this season.
Yep, thats right...they were so bad they managed to hamper the 1200hp that Honda produced, and they intentionally refused to put the oil in, just so the engine broke so many times. And they definetly spilled the water on the electronics in the hybrid part. How very unprofessional of them.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

techman
techman

its not hate its called been realistic, this is a quote from etusch
This comment of Bollier shows how sincer they are. I saw Mercedes pit stop training and it is not needed a working engine for that.
thats completely right you dont need a working engine to practice pitstop. if this is the excuse EB and mclaren bring up , just shows how much hiding they were doing with honda. blame everything on honda. but lucky we dont have to wait long for redbull to show mclaren how to build a proper efficient chassis. and expect more crying from alonso. this guy everywhere he went he destroyed team morale and only team that want him now is mclaren and no one else. its mclaren or out.

proteus

techman wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 16:12
its not hate its called been realistic, this is a quote from etusch
thats completely right you dont need a working engine to practice pitstop. if this is the excuse EB and mclaren bring up , just shows how much hiding they were doing with honda. blame everything on honda. but lucky we dont have to wait long for redbull to show mclaren how to build a proper efficient chassis. and expect more crying from alonso. this guy everywhere he went he destroyed team morale and only team that want him now is mclaren and no one else. its mclaren or out.
They have lacked the speed in terms of changing the wheels, but i dare to bet they were the fastest crew of swapping the engines...since Honda enabled them so much of practice.

I believe they will have more free time this season with the more reliable Renault.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Being realistic would be to try to understand what Eric has tried to say, or if it is unclear at least try to cover few angles and not to jump gun and take secenario that best suits you.

Benii6
Benii6

I think you might misunderstood the comments from Bollier. He said they had lost a habit of practicing pitstops. They chose to discard it. I'm not a native English speaker, but to me it sounds like he takes the responsability for the poor pitstops. That actually coincides with the comments he made to motosport.com.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... l-1001147/

Boiller:
"Just look at pitstops," he said. "They are not at the area they need to be. That has nothing to do with what power unit you have.

RedNEO

Eric is talking about not being able to practice pit stops during testing. They couldn’t because the car was stuck in the garage with engine problems.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

additionally, theres the little issue of 'why bother'. You can have the fastest pitstop you want and on the next straight all the effort is gone because you have a 20mph less topspeed than even a sauber with a 2016 engine. that's very demotivational.

if you have a competitive package, then yeah, there's demand for glorious pitstops. assuming they will have a competitive package for 2018, they'll have to work on that aswell.

the best pitstops were made by williams overall, about 2 seconds. if mclaren's average pitstops were between 4 and 6 seconds, that would mean that with 1 or 2 pitstops during a race,
they'd at best get 4 to 8 seconds on their finish time. i haven't learned all of the finish results out of my head, but i don't think that provides much different in their overall classification
with the package they were running up untill now.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

etusch

Manoah2u wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 19:34
additionally, theres the little issue of 'why bother'. You can have the fastest pitstop you want and on the next straight all the effort is gone because you have a 20mph less topspeed than even a sauber with a 2016 engine. that's very demotivational.

if you have a competitive package, then yeah, there's demand for glorious pitstops. assuming they will have a competitive package for 2018, they'll have to work on that aswell.

the best pitstops were made by williams overall, about 2 seconds. if mclaren's average pitstops were between 4 and 6 seconds, that would mean that with 1 or 2 pitstops during a race,
they'd at best get 4 to 8 seconds on their finish time. i haven't learned all of the finish results out of my head, but i don't think that provides much different in their overall classification
with the package they were running up untill now.
lack of max speed about 20 mph at straights, must direct mclaren to find speed at every other possible areas. But if you are right they are thinking in a very different way.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

it would be different if they could have been fighting for a position. but they were simply sitting ducks. if they could fight for a position, then cutting down a pitstop by 2 seconds would mean coming out of the pits in front of your competitor. if you can then defend or keep up, you win that position.
problem is, they couldn't. so even if they ended up in front by a margin, they'd be sitting ducks.
assuming things will be better for 2018, that suddenly is a matter of importance simply because they're no longer sitting ducks.

if in theory, their package is equal to that of RedBull for 2018 - same capable drivers, same capable engine, chassis on equal terms - then there are only a few things to reach a difference with, and that very well could be a pitstop. if RedBull does it in 2.5 seconds, and Mclaren in 4.0 seconds, than Mclaren loses due to pitstops. which is really a shame. So logically, their goal must be to be on terms with the competition but preferably a bit better, so 2.4 or 2.1 seconds would mean the difference.

in theory, that goes for all teams. but in reality, you find yourself dealing with situations that make things like that more or less important for whatever reason.

take Ferrari - they supposedly had the same Mercedes-style qually mode to get on more equal terms. but unfortunately, all that work was for nothign when the cars couldn't start on the grid. point is; was that a result of rushing, was it a result of reliability? if so, then you could argue that had Ferrari not used that 'qually' mode to its fullest potential, they might have ended up p4 on the grid instead of p2 or p1, but would have started from the grid, instead of the pits or all the way to the back.

and knowing mclaren did zero on their pitstops last year just brings all the more 'potential' for improvement, which is a good thing. Even though i must note that for years and years, Mclaren's pitstops have been pretty lousy.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

I seem to remember a fair few races with Alonso stuck behind cars and unable to pass due to top speed, so there must of been a fair times that a 2 second pit stop would have got them out in front of the car they were stuck behind. So I guess its always crucial to practice pit stops.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

McHonda
McHonda

It cost them a few times yeah. Alonso lost a point in Malaysia for example.

I think the argument is "in the grand scheme of things" though I suppose and it's hard to argue they lost anything significant as even if you totalled them all up it wouldn't have got them higher in the WCC even. (We'd be talking about 6-12 pts across both cars lost probably in '17 but that's a crude guesstimate to be fair)

Just checked and they were 17pts away from Haas so maybe it's possible but I'd be surprised personally.

etusch

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 20:53
I seem to remember a fair few races with Alonso stuck behind cars and unable to pass due to top speed, so there must of been a fair times that a 2 second pit stop would have got them out in front of the car they were stuck behind. So I guess its always crucial to practice pit stops.
For sure.
There is a story that a village residents decide to go out for praying for rain and only one man go out with an umbrella. That man believes what they do will work. This is believing what you are doing, being prepared when there is a chance. If Honda made them sitting duck at straights why they didn't use thise seasons as practise to prapere this renault powered season.
I don't like Boullier but he saw what are wrong in mclaren and reorganised but it looks like it was not enough.